Elon Musk believes it'll be illegal for humans to drive in the future

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Thats a very interesting topic :)

My first thought was Star Trek scene at beginning in which a kid was driving.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

But then The Stig will be out of a job, just like Jeremy Clarkson.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

I can see that the eventuality for the future is that humans will only be needed for the arts, sciences, and entertainment / media.  90% of the worlds jobs will eventually be automated.  I remember there was once a documentary that theorized the future in the 1940's, and the idea of it was that the ideal society of the future is one where nobody has to work, but people instead took part in the arts, science, and music.  The idea of it was that with the world being increasingly automated, and people no longer needing to labor to survive--any man or woman's imagination could be far easier to take fruition as the world would shift in a more accommodating fashion.  

But on the topic at hand: I can see it.  Every car with built in sensors, running on a collective firmware, sharing it's destination with all other cars nearby so as to better accommodate the flow of traffic.  Personally, I don't mind, because that means just sitting in the car as it takes us places.  Imagine all the sleep I could get!

Really i hate when "important people" make such stupid posts... i can also forsee androids and AI doing all the humans jobs in the future and humans are banned from working,now let that sink in...

I doubt it will ever be illegal, but I can definitely see there being some kind of tax for not using self-driving car.

^ This seems very possible. I don't like the idea tho. I want to be able to drive my own car.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Meh, that guy can say just about anything and no one will care if its right or wrong. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I don't trust computers enough to drive me. Software crashes just as much as people do. Your car's RAM develops a bad sector (it happens) and causes the OS to shut-down (i.e. blue-screen) while you're on the motorway doing 70+mph. You'll crash. If you had manual over-ride, you could try to brake the car and pull over on to the hard shoulder. No steering wheel or pedals? Good luck with that. Think about every time your software has crashed in the last 3 years. BSODs, game crashes, flash player crashes.

The car may be controlled by a computer, but the software was programmed by a human.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Disagree. 

They won't, for the same reason they haven't outlawed Pilots. It is a well-established fact that aeroplanes can take off, fly and land themselves and ALSO account for the loss of vital equipment in dangerous situations etc. 

Also, half of crashes are down to Pilot error. So you would think they would outlaw pilots and establish a 100% autonomous commercial flight industry right? Well they haven't, because no one would get on a plane flown by a computer without a pilot. Take the recent crash in the alps. IIRC it was found that the cockpit door had shut and locked the pilot out, leaving no one at the controls and thus the plane crashed. That wouldn't happen if a computer was flying. 

So by all logic, I agree - humans shouldn't be driving cars, computers should. But by the same logic that would stop people getting on a pilot-less aircraft, i highly doubt we are going to see largely if not solely autonomous-vehicle dominated road networks.

Pretty much. I would actually the proportion of pilot error crashes is way more than half. We're seeing a lot more crashes in recent years, and every single one of them have been due to deliberate pilot tampering. There are also a small number of genuine pilot error cases where the pilot could have done something else to prevent the crash, but you could attribute it to being under intense pressure in the moment, and not thinking about it. 

Humans learn and adapt. Humans can instinctively come up with a solution in a crisis, something which computers will never be able to do for the foreseeable future. Even an AI that is capable of learning will have limitations. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah, but the real problem lies with hackers. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

A move to a more black and white society. Whether that is good is up for debate.

I don't think/know when/if this will ever happen in a total sense. I can definately see this happening in inner-cities in the not too-distant future. This will be expanded outwards from there.

It's either that or public tansit becomes some sort of autonomous personal transport pods and "cars" are not allowed to drive within a certain boundry of the city. Outside commuters and people leaving the city will then use park and ride system with the personal pods.

Take the recent crash in the alps. IIRC it was found that the cockpit door had shut and locked the pilot out, leaving no one at the controls and thus the plane crashed. That wouldn't happen if a computer was flying.

Actually, the Co-pilot was at the controls and flew the plane into the mountain intentionally after locking the rest of the staff out of the cockpit. Doesn't change the fact that a computer probably wouldn't have done that.

As for self-driving cars, I'm getting one as soon as it means I can make a drive across the country and play video games or sleep instead of staring at the road. I don't necessarily want to make driving illegal on public roads within a few decades, but it would be a law primarily to prevent people from causing harm to other people so I don't really oppose it either.

Disagree. 

They won't, for the same reason they haven't outlawed Pilots. It is a well-established fact that aeroplanes can take off, fly and land themselves and ALSO account for the loss of vital equipment in dangerous situations etc. 

Also, half of crashes are down to Pilot error. So you would think they would outlaw pilots and establish a 100% autonomous commercial flight industry right? Well they haven't, because no one would get on a plane flown by a computer without a pilot. Take the recent crash in the alps. IIRC it was found that the cockpit door had shut and locked the pilot out, leaving no one at the controls and thus the plane crashed. That wouldn't happen if a computer was flying. 

So by all logic, I agree - humans shouldn't be driving cars, computers should. But by the same logic that would stop people getting on a pilot-less aircraft, i highly doubt we are going to see largely if not solely autonomous-vehicle dominated road networks.

see but half the crashes are due to pilot error, there are still many things a pilot is required for,

I have mixed feelings about the whole auto pilot idea. If its a hybrid where the driver can take control instantly, then thats cool, because i would not want to be riding in a thunder strom and have a gust of wind blow a huge branch off of a tree and not be able to do a damn thing about it. There are still needs for a driver to be able to take control, it will never get to the point of perfection.

Man... I love driving and I love cars.

I agree fully automated vehicles might be safer but I absolutely enjoy driving alone with my music just chilling out at safe acceptable legal cruising speeds.