NASA on Alert: Asteroid 2014-YB35 set to skim past Earth this Friday

PlayModeOn

If it makes the UK more sunny and warmer then it's a risk i am willing to take.

I'm the opposite. I live in Australia and it is always hot here, I prefer to live somewhere cold (not snowing though).

I'm born in the Philippines, a hot place, which is ironic.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Doubt it. Large impacts throw up clouds of dust that have the potential to block out the sun. More cold, more dark. Hence the biosphere death. 

giphy.gif

Just a joke there, no need to make me feel inadequate with all of your hoodoo science

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

Just a joke there, no need to make me feel inadequate with all of your hoodoo science

I know :P. I've a rather dark sense of humour when it comes to the multitude of ways the cosmos can kill us. Facts are a wonderful way to convey the humour of our situation.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I know :P. I've a rather dark sense of humour when it comes to the multitude of ways the cosmos can kill us. Facts are a wonderful way to convey the humour of our situation.

Person X      "Hey, the stars are beautiful tonight don't you think" 

Serin             "They're only balls of gas burning at thousands of degrees only to run out of fuel one day which will the collapse in on itself to such a density that it will eventually cause a                             black hole destroying everything within reach, even bending and distorting light till nothing is left"

Person X      "....... So, you wanna go to the pub?"

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

Person X      "Hey, the stars are beautiful tonight don't you think" 

Serin             "They're only balls of gas burning at thousands of degrees only to run out of fuel one day which will the collapse in on itself to such a density that it will eventually cause a                             black hole destroying everything within reach, even bending and distorting light till nothing is left"

Person X      "....... So, you wanna go to the pub?"

Pub? Of course! But just for good measure.. The stars you're looking at likely burned out and died a long time ago because of the finite speed of light and the time it takes to get here from there. Hah. Too much fun.

On the other hand, those supernovae explosions may have been the trigger for all life on Earth and perhaps even elsewhere in the galaxy. :D

This is what happens when you idolise Prof Brian Cox.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Pub? Of course! But just for good measure.. The stars you're looking at likely burned out and died a long time ago because of the finite speed of light and the time it takes to get here from there. Hah. Too much fun.

On the other hand, those supernovae explosions may have been the trigger for all life on Earth and perhaps even elsewhere in the galaxy. :D

This is what happens when you idolise Prof Brian Cox.

I bet you're that person who can't let that one argument die.

I hope you don't talk like Cox, where every sentence *pause* is met *pause* with long, overly exhausted *pause* pauses *pause* for dramatic *paaaaause* Effect.

now i'm scared :(

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Well, f you too

Hey, I live just to the south of DC, so I'd be screwed as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Where?

Close enough lol.

See my location for further details :P

I don't wanna close my eyes,

I don't wanna fall asleep,

Cause I'd miss you babe,

And I don't wanna miss a thing,

Cause even when I dream of you,

The sweetest dream would never do,

I'd still miss you babe,

And I don't wanna miss a thing.

Cool. I'm reminded of the last time an asteroid of note was passing near earth, another one no one saw coming beat the heck out of Chelyabinsk Russia.

:edit: gosh darn mobile carp-fish

This happens every once in a while.  At the end of the day, it's extremely unlikely that it'll hit.

Also, if it does hit, you most likely won't be alive to notice. 

Well not necessarily, they showed its trajectory and it's not even close to Australia  ^_^ ... Plus it said it has the power to wipe out a country, hopefully it just falls in some uninhibited part of Siberia... If it does actually happen... Doubt it though  :rolleyes:

ye, keep dreaming...   

really you are going to have to live out your miserable lives, nothing will relieve you from that

It will pass within 2.8 Million miles of Earth... Our moon is 238 thousand miles away, just let that sink in before the doomsday prophecies start. In astronomy that is very close, but relatively speaking there's no reason to be "on Alert." The next encounter in 2033 will be much closer at only 2 million miles away a mere 8 and a half times the distance past the moon. (anyone up for some real life metro 2033?)

If you want something to worry about, take a look at how many asteroids have been discovered/tracked so far within our inner galaxy.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

A very large part of me hopes it hits DC, and that the majority of Congress and other political figures are there when it does.

... Except that you live in Virginia and thus wouldn't have time to rejoice. :P

If it hits, it'll probably hit the ocean, which'll just send 500ft+ tall tsunamis to every continent on Earth, no biggie.

I say it won't hit.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

... Except that you live in Virginia and thus wouldn't have time to rejoice. :P

If it hits, it'll probably hit the ocean, which'll just send 500ft+ tall tsunamis to every continent on Earth, no biggie.

I say it won't hit.

Oh I'm sure it won't, well, I hope it wont.

But if a large chunk happens to break off and smack into DC, taking out a few deserving corrupt ass politicians, I won't be sad lol

Waiting for Matthew McConaughey to give me co-ordinates to Nasa's secret facility :D

Nothing is gonna happen. Not in my lifetime. My boring life will just continue.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh I'm sure it won't, well, I hope it wont.

But if a large chunk happens to break off and smack into DC, taking out a few deserving corrupt ass politicians, I won't be sad lol

Hopefully small little bits about the size and weight of bowling balls happen to hit every current (self) serving politician. Along with both the Clintons and the Cruz family. :D

That way there's no environmental damage or major casualties, just a economical disruption.

/S

Sadly, no amount of killing can stop human nature.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Neat! I wonder if I'll be able to see it.

I havent read the whole thing nor had a closer look at the picture. So i dont know on which side of Earth this will happen but with my luck im sure i wont be able to see it even if it was in range of sight the UK would form clouds in the sky to block my freaking view. :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Inb4 asteroid plays billiards with orbiting satellites.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Hopefully small little bits about the size and weight of bowling balls happen to hit every current (self) serving politician. Along with both the Clintons and the Cruz family. :D

That way there's no environmental damage or major casualties, just a economical disruption.

/S

Sadly, no amount of killing can stop human nature.

Still, it would be HILARIOUS.

Inb4 asteroid plays billiards with orbiting satellites.

"Half of North America just lost their Facebook"

(P.S. That would be a good thing)

"Half of North America just lost their Facebook"

(P.S. That would be a good thing, BTW)

Oh god yes.

I also hope it takes out anything related to the Bravo Channel, and maybe lands on the Kardashians house, along with Kanye's oversized head.