HD668B vs HyperX Cloud

tlmills82

I've been doing some research on trying to obtain a headset for gaming, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 options.  Other input would be considered, after some research on my own.

The question I have is, would I be better suited to buy one of t he Kingston HyperX Cloud headsets or buy the Superlux HD668B headphones and add an Antlion Modmic 4.0?  I know that audio is subjective and people prefer different sounds, but I don't know a ton about headphones/headsets and am not an audiophile by any means.

My main use for them will be for gaming, listening to some music and watching youtube quality videos...I may occasionally watch a movie or 2 on my pc as well.

I would get the Clouds. But if you do go for headphones plus separate mic look at the Moov Mic. Same thing as the ModMic but only $20. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

I would get the Clouds. But if you do go for headphones plus separate mic look at the Moov Mic. Same thing as the ModMic but only $20. 

I did forget to mention that my only concern with the Clouds are that they're closed back and I have a 2 year old, would they still allow me to hear her if I had them on?

I did forget to mention that my only concern with the Clouds are that they're closed back and I have a 2 year old, would they still allow me to hear her if I had them on?

I have the Cloud 1 and the sound isolation is pretty good and it may be too good. I'm not sure what you would need to hear from your daughter, but it is kind of hard to tell if the sound isolation is too much or just right since I don't know what sounds you need to listen to. If it is okay, it would probably be good to tell us what sounds that you would need to hear.(I hope I'm not being rude and I don't intend to be. :]) Regardless, the HyperX Cloud is a very good headset but it is the only decent headset/headphone that I have actually had that actually sounds good. But, if it is completely necessary to hear what is around you, just get the Superlux's or any other open back headphone.

HyperX Cloud 2 anyone? They have replaceable ear mounts, so you could smack on the softer foam (don't know the name) and bam, you could hear all around you. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I have the Cloud 1 and the sound isolation is pretty good and it may be too good. I'm not sure what you would need to hear from your daughter, but it is kind of hard to tell if the sound isolation is too much or just right since I don't know what sounds you need to listen to. If it is okay, it would probably be good to tell us what sounds that you would need to hear.(I hope I'm not being rude and I don't intend to be. :]) Regardless, the HyperX Cloud is a very good headset but it is the only decent headset/headphone that I have actually had that actually sounds good. But, if it is completely necessary to hear what is around you, just get the Superlux's or any other open back headphone.

Mainly just in case she decides to fall or something and start crying, or wakes up in the middle of the night crying or anything like that.

HyperX Cloud 2 anyone? They have replaceable ear mounts, so you could smack on the softer foam (don't know the name) and bam, you could hear all around you. 

Mainly just in case she decides to fall or something and start crying, or wakes up in the middle of the night crying or anything like that.

Hot dam. Forgot about the velour earcups that come with the Clouds. They come with leather initially but in the box they have velour ear cups which will allow you to hear pretty much anything just like open heaphones. Idk why I forgot about the velour ones since I have the Clouds myself and they are great. So yea, you could probably just use the velour earcups since they are included so you can hear your daughter :). Lastly, I wouldn't get the Cloud 2 as virtual surround is BS and there have been reviews with problems with the USB surround dongle and the $20 more is just not worth it just for "virtual" surround that will not do you any good.

Hot dam. Forgot about the velour earcups that come with the Clouds. They come with leather initially but in the box they have velour ear cups which will allow you to hear pretty much anything just like open heaphones. Idk why I forgot about the velour ones since I have the Clouds myself and they are great. So yea, you could probably just use the velour earcups since they are included so you can hear your daughter :). Lastly, I wouldn't get the Cloud 2 as virtual surround is BS and there have been reviews with problems with the USB surround dongle and the $20 more is just not worth it just for "virtual" surround that will not do you any good.

I have an MSI gaming 5 motherboard, I saw on Tek Syndicate that they sound better with a powered heaphone "amp" how do I know if that's something I have?

I have an MSI gaming 5 motherboard, I saw on Tek Syndicate that they sound better with a powered heaphone "amp" how do I know if that's something I have?

Are we supposed to care what some youtubeer thinks of anything? It runs fine from onboard as long as the onboard isn't broken.

Ill say Superlux. Why you may ask? Because I have them. And the sound amazing. Now, into the mic. IMO the AntLion Mic is way better than the Cloud's.

Now you choose.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I have the clouds, and kids. As mentioned above, the cloth coverings let in more sound. I can hear my kids making noise around the house, but not specifically what they're saying, unless they yell. I enjoy mine quite a bit.

I think I'm going to order the clouds.  Also...

Are we supposed to care what some youtubeer thinks of anything? It runs fine from onboard as long as the onboard isn't broken.

This is kind of funny seeing as how we're on the forums of some youtubeer, who we obviously care enough to join his forums...

No disrespect intended Linus!

Superluxs.

I recently bought a really nice pair of headphones, Fidelio X1s, and I do love them, they are phenomenal, but I came away even more impressed with my "lowly" Superluxs because for $30-$40, you get an amazing product.  Definitely buy the superlux's.  Heck, you don't even need a mod mic.  You can buy a cheap Zalman clip on mic, or a directional desktop mic for $5-$20, much cheaper than a mod mic and works just as well.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i would recommend clouds for the comfort

but the superlux headphone + modmic will give better sound and audio quality

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro