Old laptop's BIOS won't recognize Hard Drive, how can I boot into an OS ?

So here's the thing... the HDD works fine when I use an USB stick to install an OS (usually a GNU/Linus distro), but every time I have to restart or want to boot normally, the hard drive isn't even recognized by the BIOS. (it ends up giving me a network boot error, which is the last option in my boot order).

It's a very old laptop, the HDD has pins so it's not SATA (I think it's PATA or smthg but I'm not sure)

Is there anyway I could try to fix this issue and access the HDD again ?

Also, could I install a whole OS into an USB stick or an external hard drive ? (I can burn a linux .iso into an USB or CD but it'll just end up being an installation drive, not a real OS where I can store my files.)

Does the HDD work when plugged in into something else?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Does the HDD work when plugged in into something else?

I have no way to try that, I would love to but all the computers that I have home are much more recent and are all S-ATA.

I guess I could buy an adapter or something but I wouldn't be worth it.

Try booting in Ubuntu from a USB stick, and see if you can access the HDD that way.

Adapters cost <5$ anyway, so you can try that too.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Try booting in Ubuntu from a USB stick, and see if you can access the HDD that way.

Adapters cost <5$ anyway, so you can try that too.

Oh right, I forgot to mention it. With an USK stick and Ubuntu as an installer, when I try "try Ubuntu without installing", yes, I can access the HDD.

So I think it's all about the BIOS... the question then is if there's any software that would help me boot from the HDD without it.

Oh right, you mentioned using USBs to boot, didn't notice that, my bad.

That's weird, cuz if you can see it through Ubuntu, it means the PC can recognize the driver. Have you tried looking for a BIOS update on a manufacturer's website? Chance is low, but it is there.
Also, in the bios settings, try disabling everything BUT the HDD boot?

Also, what about using the USB to boot into Ubuntu, and then installing it to the HDD, seeing that you can access it that way?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Oh right, you mentioned using USBs to boot, didn't notice that, my bad.

That's weird, cuz if you can see it through Ubuntu, it means the PC can recognize the driver. Have you tried looking for a BIOS update on a manufacturer's website? Chance is low, but it is there.

Also, in the bios settings, try disabling everything BUT the HDD boot?

Also, what about using the USB to boot into Ubuntu, and then installing it to the HDD, seeing that you can access it that way?

A BIOS update could work yeah.... but that laptop is so old, it's very hard to find resources about its BIOS online, moreover I think I had already updated it once after another issue, and there probably hasn't been any new versions recently.

I tried disabling everything but it, and it still ended up telling me no Ethernet cable was plugged, which means it tried everything until the network boot.

Also yeah, I can install Ubuntu on it ! But as soon as I have to restart, it can't boot again into the hard drive.

I guess i'll just give up, its pretty hopeless, thanks for the replies tho guys ! (that said I still could try an adapter)

What size is the HDD and what size does the laptop support?

Might want to check if its set to AHCI or IDE/ATA as well

I think it's 2.5 inches, maybe a big bigger, but it's really laptop sized.

and it fits right into it so the laptop can support exactly that.

Also I can select "IDE controler" and chose between Disabled, Primary, and Both. it's set to both by default but i've tried booting with each of them, none of them changed anything.