Xbox One created 'with advertising in mind'

Bleedman0xx

The Xbox One and its dashboard user interface were built with advertising in mind, key members of Microsoft’s UK Xbox Live Advertising team have told website StickTwiddlers on a recent visit to the company’s headquarters.

A two-hour discussion with the senior digital art director/user experience designer and technical account manager for Xbox Live advertising revealed that all advertising created for the platform must work with both a standard Xbox controller and the console’s mandatory Kinect camera system.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-created-with-advertising-in-mind-6411083

Well... I guess they realized they'd have to get a lot from ad revenue to make up for lack of sales.

The Xbox 360 interface has been riddled with ads since the past two major updates/overhauls even if you're a paying Xbox Live Gold member or not.

Never going Xbox again. All companies want/need money, but Microsoft is horrible at being nice about it.

The Xbox 360 interface has been riddled with ads since the past two major updates/overhauls even if you're a paying Xbox Live Gold member or not.

Never going Xbox again. All companies want/need money, but Microsoft is horrible at being nice about it.

Then it looks like the Xbox One will be no different when it comes to ads. 

Then it looks like the Xbox One will be no different when it comes to ads.

I'm not surprised and on top of that you need Xbox Live Gold to even watch Netflix/Hulu or any other service they put behind a pay wall. Also F2P games need to have Xbox Live Gold to play online as well. See "World of Tanks".

No one should be supporting this anti-consumer behavior.

Edited by EChondo

I'm not surprised and on top of that you need Xbox Live Gold to even watch Netflix/Hulu or any other service they put behind a pay wall. Also F2P games need to have Xbox Live Gold to play online as well. See "World of Tanks".

I always hated that part. You don't really get anything extra for having a gold membership, instead they take just about all useful features away for not being gold. Microsoft's servers have nothing to do with the video being streamed from Netflix/Hulu. So what do we have to pay them for?

Ads should be an alternative to paying. If you pay, no ads, if you chose to not pay then get ads... but all the core features should be there. There used to be a time when companies did that, but most now want ads and payment.

I always hated that part. You don't really get anything extra for having a gold membership, instead they take just about all useful features away for not being gold. Microsoft's servers have nothing to do with the video being streamed from Netflix/Hulu. So what do we have to pay them for?

Ads should be an alternative to paying. If you pay, no ads, if you chose to not pay then get ads... but all the core features should be there. There used to be a time when companies did that, but most now want ads and payment.

I remember a while back that Microsoft said that Gold members get demos of games first, but that is long gone and now there is a huge lack of game demos and everyone gets them no matter if they are a Gold member or not.

There is no reason whatsoever to be a Gold member anymore. I stopped paying back in January and there is no reason to go back. I have had Xbox Live since 2004/2005 and it's been going downhill ever since 2009/2010.

wait wait

u need xbox live gold to watch netflix

this is insane

we arnt even using their servers when watching netflix why do we have to pay for gold !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wait wait

u need xbox live gold to watch netflix

this is insane

we arnt even using their servers when watching netflix why do we have to pay for gold !!!

I've been asking that since Netflix came onto Xbox Live.