Xbox 360 Media PC

Socky

Yes that's right I am going to build a computer in an Xbox 360. This will be my first "modded case" I've done, hopefully I will do a good job. And yes I know the Xbox One is coming out and all, but I don't want to wait till December. Also the price of anything Xbox is just dropping. So far I just have a rough cardboard sketch of what I will put in (I don't know how to use any 3D software but I'll try for this one). Since the PC is going to be a Media PC it won't be too powerful. However, it does have the option to.

Here is the PC Parts (updated), they are not final yet and need approval from my dad. (I don't know the budget my dad just said get a cheap computer that can perform well) I already have a GT 520 (will hopefully upgrade to GT740 or something)

Final Update

Sketching out the Cutouts
post-7648-0-11688100-1373157391_thumb.jp

All of the sketches cut out
post-7648-0-09634500-1373157444.jpg

Basic pieces put together
post-7648-0-85919000-1373157467.jpg

Back of the Xbox (Might do damage to the structure will probably change)
post-7648-0-33450700-1373157535_thumb.jp

All the internals in its likely area's (Blu Ray player must go so I can move the GPU and put in more HDD)
post-7648-0-77571200-1373157571.jpg
post-7648-0-19757200-1373157642_thumb.jp
post-7648-0-86259500-1373157673_thumb.jp
post-7648-0-26002400-1373157689_thumb.jp

post-7648-0-11688100-1373157391_thumb.jp

post-7648-0-09634500-1373157444.jpg

post-7648-0-85919000-1373157467.jpg

post-7648-0-33450700-1373157535_thumb.jp

post-7648-0-77571200-1373157571.jpg

post-7648-0-19757200-1373157642_thumb.jp

post-7648-0-86259500-1373157673_thumb.jp

post-7648-0-26002400-1373157689_thumb.jp

Edited by Socky

Project Restomod (In progress)

Nice plan man. Can't wait for it to be a finished product.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

thats cool and a lot of work some advice make sure ur really gentle with stuff it will be hard to make it fit dont force it re think it dont use for u will get frustrated be gentle also if ur building it in the card board watch for static

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

A G1610 is more than enough for 1080 bluray so it should be a cheaper alternative for a media PC.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A G1610 is more than enough for 1080 bluray so it should be a cheaper alternative for a media PC.

On CPU boss it shows that it performs nearly as a G2120 is this actually true?

Edited by Socky

thats cool and a lot of work some advice make sure ur really gentle with stuff it will be hard to make it fit dont force it re think it dont use for u will get frustrated be gentle also if ur building it in the card board watch for static

Thanks for the advice. how would I go about installing a motherboard without a stand off on plastic?

On CPU box it shows that it performs nearly as a G2120 is this actually true?

Do you mean CPU Boss? http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G2120-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610

The performance is close but the G2120 is obviously better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I trust you have measured twice, but that looks a little big for a 360 chassis. actually a lot too big

Thanks for the advice. how would I go about installing a motherboard without a stand off on plastic?

ive haven't do it on plastic but you could probably glue risers in place

also made sure to put like 2 60mm fans on the sides if u have room if not see how u can do this with the other fans but u need to et air flow under the board too, what i would recommend would be cutting a hole on the bottom where the heat sink bracket would go and putting risers on the bottom of the case so it can breath it will hel with cooling alot the bottom wont be as pretty but hopefully nobody will see it and it will run alot cooler

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

and in side the xbox there is the exterior plastic shell and a metal shell in it the outer shell is decoration and not very strong but the inner when (metal one) is small so u have to use the flimsy plastic 1 have u figured out how u will keep it from falling appart it is fairly difficult it kinda falls apart without the inner shell

This is going to be interesting.  Please keep updating post, as I would like to see the progress of this project.

and in side the xbox there is the exterior plastic shell and a metal shell in it the outer shell is decoration and not very strong but the inner when (metal one) is small so u have to use the flimsy plastic 1 have u figured out how u will keep it from falling appart it is fairly difficult it kinda falls apart without the inner shell

I've decided not to actually cut out a pay slot and just put a pass though in the back might make it better for the structure as for airflow two 80mm in the front two 70mm where the HDD would be

I trust you have measured twice, but that looks a little big for a 360 chassis. actually a lot too big

depends on which Xbox I'm using the very first chassis which is 306mm x 258mm x 83mm

You should build it in the cardboard case just for fun :lol:. I will definitely be following this one :).

I was looking into doing this with my fat PS3 when it dies, although probably an i3 on integrated graphics because that's good enough for movies and whatnot. I'm interested to see how you go :)

EDIT: You've made me want to get mine planned :P

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I was looking into doing this with my fat PS3 when it dies, although probably an i3 on integrated graphics because that's good enough for movies and whatnot. I'm interested to see how you go :)

EDIT: You've made me want to get mine planned :P

You should that would be cool to see it seems hard because of the curvature.

You should that would be cool to see it seems hard because of the curvature.

I've just completely taken apart my PS3 :P

It looks harder, but the way I see it, it gives a little more room for the CPU cooler to get some air

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Dude, just make it out of cardboard XD Your cardboard skills are quite amazing.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

my insticts tell me that this is gonna be awsome .

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Your cardboard skills are pretty damned good. Hope the build goes smoothly 

Audio Setup---- Marten Django XL speakers: Conrad-Johnson LP125M power amp: Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Renaissance preamp: Clearaudio Ovation & Clarify turntable

I have never seen someone literally build a whole cardboard case before JUST to see where things will go

10/10 would view again

Dude, just make it out of cardboard XD Your cardboard skills are quite amazing.

I think

beats me

Lol gonna see this!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER