Anodizing A Hyper 212 Evo

Cur

I can get my Hyper 212x heatsink anodized for fairly cheap, and was wondering if anodization would actually work with a heatsink. The main fins of the sink are aluminium, but it has copper pipes which may pose a problem? Does anyone know if anodizing the heatsink to black will hinder performance or am I okay to go ahead with my plan? The reason for anodizing is because the huge silver block makes my windowed insides look ugly and unthemed, and painting apparently hinders the performance greatly.

I think it would be okay? You're adding a few extra layers of oxide (that the aluminium already has) by anodizing, so it might decrease cooling by a little, but I doubt it would be by more than like 1-2 degrees. I'm not sure what it would do to the copper. I think it would be okay, unless it electro-etched the copper, which would be very, very bad.

Okay, so after taking a quick look anodizing I think you might have a problem. Both electro-etching and anodizing use (mostly) the same process. Items for anodizing and electro-etching are placed on a positive charge, which I think may cause the aluminium to be colored, and for the solution to eat the copper.

You could possibly get around this by using a resist on the copper. I'd say ask the place you are getting it done at if the copper is an issue or not as they may be able to put a resist on the copper and give the aluminium the awesome look you want.

If it does work please let us know, I was wondering if it was possible to anodize a heatsink

Rig: AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990fx, 16gb Corsair Vengence, Gigabyte R9 290 4GB, Noctua NH-12S, Samsung 840 Evo, WD 1TB Black, Corsair C70, Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster SA350, Acer 193w, Mouse: Cyborg RAT 5. Window 7 Pro

Laptop: Asus x75vd, Intel i5 3210M, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 610m 1gb, 750gb hdd

PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox360

After some more research I have decided to hold off on doing this, and instead paint the top of the heatsink black with some removable paint (plastidip). Thanks for the help guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be okay? You're adding a few extra layers of oxide (that the aluminium already has) by anodizing, so it might decrease cooling by a little, but I doubt it would be by more than like 1-2 degrees. I'm not sure what it would do to the copper. I think it would be okay, unless it electro-etched the copper, which would be very, very bad.

Okay, so after taking a quick look anodizing I think you might have a problem. Both electro-etching and anodizing use (mostly) the same process. Items for anodizing and electro-etching are placed on a positive charge, which I think may cause the aluminium to be colored, and for the solution to eat the copper.

You could possibly get around this by using a resist on the copper. I'd say ask the place you are getting it done at if the copper is an issue or not as they may be able to put a resist on the copper and give the aluminium the awesome look you want.

always get the dark night heatsink

q

You can do this as well:

h0BmF.jpg

h0BpD.jpg

h0BqT.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089