what drivers do I install

Matt_Twinkletoes

I ordered my parts for my gaming PC and I have a few questions.

1. what do I need to install drivers for(also have a wifi card)

2. I ordered parts this morning how long do you think it will take to get here or is it always different

3. what's a good anti-virus software?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

1) you need internet connection and just download the drivers from the website of the motherboard and GPU manufacturer

2) depends where youre buying from, they usually give you a shipping time estimate which you should have looked at before buying

3) malwarebytes plus either AVG or avast (free of course)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Chipset, audio, video and perhaps any utilities you'll use that the motherboard provides. Do not use the drivers provided on CD; they're likely outdated.

2. Courier and shipping method will dictate that

3. Avast or Malwarebytes seem popular among LTT users.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

2. I ordered parts this morning how long do you think it will take to get here or is it always different

1. You'll need your motherboard, and Video card drivers. Also the one for your Wi-Fi card. (Which comes in the box)

2. We don't know, we don't know where you live, where you ordered from, or what shipping options you chose. It will always vary on the varibles I mentioned.

3. Use Windows "BitDefender" Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes

1. You need drivers for practically everything in your system. Everything except the CPU, Monitor and optical drive. Most, Windows will find the drivers for, for you, some are fine using generic drivers (keyboard, mouse, card reader, USB hub, some game controller and such. It will depends if you care about things. For example, if your keyboard has special keys, then you may need to install the keyboard drivers to have the keyboard software and driver be able to make those special keys work).

What you need as drivers as usually (assuming a simple gaming setup)

-> Motherboard chipset drivers

-> SATA Controller driver (may be included in the motherboard chipset driver setup)

-> extra SATA Controller that you may be using if your motherboard has multiple SATA controller (if you are not using them, just disable them in the UEFI, and don't install the driver to keep everything lean and clean)

-> Graphics card drivers

-> Sound card (or/and onboard solution, depending on your audio setup)

-> USB 3.0 driver(s) if you plan to use Windows 7, you should be good in Windows 8 as it natively support standard USB 3.0 controller. Some motherboard have multiple USB 3.0 controllers, so you may need to install those.

-> Wireless card / USB dongle (which ever you bought) and Ethernet drivers.

And that should be all.Once you install everything, Windows is fully updated, and restarted your system, check out Device Manager. If you see a yellow "!" icon on an item, that means it is missing a driver.

Some motherboards have extra stuff not normally found in a basic setup.

I suggest to keep everything to minimum for the best experience. For example, when you install Nvidia graphics card drivers (if your getting one), go under advance, and remove stuff like "Auto-updater", "3D vision" and all that stuff (but keep, in the case of Nvidia GPUs, PhysX, of course). Keep every driver, avoid control panels and stuff. They are most of the time a waste of time, resources and sometimes, like wireless card manufacture for some odd reason LOVES to make Windows wireless replacement panels, which all of them are total crap, super buggy, and unresponsive. Just use windows built-in one. The exception is MAYBE keyboard and mouse, like I said if you have a fancy keyboard with special keys or abilities that you want to use.

2. As mentioned already, you'll get an e-mail when the order was shipped (well really when they brought all the parts together and printed the shipping label). Usually, if you check your order the moment you received the e-mail that your order was shipped, with the tracking number, the tracking nu,ber will be invalid if you track your order. Wait several hours to even the next day before it shows up depending on the mail carrier.

3. I use Windows Defender built-in Windows 8 and 10 (Microsoft Security Essential in Windows 7. It is the same just renamed and embedded in Windows 8 and up). Sure it is not the best, but it is super light weight, and feels like you have nothing running on the back. As long as you don't torrent or download whatever crap, and you don't allow admin level access to programs and files that shouldn't need to (say you open a picture and Windows asks you that this program wants admin privileges, you know something is wrong, and you can hit cancel which will terminate the process of starting the execution and you can delete the file), use safe web surfing, and keep everything up to date, you are fairly mostly protected.

I may install temporarily malware bytes to do casual scans of the system, just in case, but beside that, I don't.

Please note that point #3 applies for home and knowledgeable users. If you work with sensitive data, say from a company, then far superior protection is recommended.

I am going with the fact that a hacker has better things to do to target you specifically, and that you are smart enough about id'ing phishing e-mails, use common knowledge, and safe web surfing practices.

2. Usually from 3 days to 2 weeks depending on availability, shipping method and distance between you and warehouse.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv