Help me decide on 500$ open-back headphones

David1521

I currently own the Audiotechnica ath 900x and shure se 215k's, however I'm looking for an even better audio experience. I want to buy a pair in the 500 dollar to thousand range, can someone who has owned the Shure SRH1840 or Hifiman HE-560 tell me which is better in their opinion or if there are others out there to consider?

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

If you can find a good used HE-560 for $500, i'd get it right now. But otherwise, HE-400i is better compared to HE-560 for bang for your buck

I'll have the 1840 in a few days so if you want to wait until then I'll know more. They'll probably go up for sale once I've tried them since I have an audeze el8 coming in soon.

If you can get the Hifiman he560 at 500 that is probobly the best deal you can find if you don't mind closed I think you should look into the Sony mdr z7 it is500 right now at Amazon and it is amazing it has a huge soundstage but he560 is the best you can get

I wouldn't recommend spending more than $300-400ish until you know what kind of signature you're looking for. Unless, you already know what you're looking for...?

I'll have the 1840 in a few days so if you want to wait until then I'll know more. They'll probably go up for sale once I've tried them since I have an audeze el8 coming in soon.

Alright well thankyou, let me know.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

I wouldn't recommend spending more than $300-400ish until you know what kind of signature you're looking for. Unless, you already know what you're looking for...?

I really like the signature of the shure se 215's better than my Audio technica ath 900x's unless I turn up the bass a little on my 900x's then that is wayy better.

However I'm looking to get rid of when singer's say words with an "s" in them, it sounds way to sharp, especially if I turn the volume up too loud.

HD650 or 600 depending on which tonality you prefer, use the savings to get a decent dac/amp to power the things.

TBH, $500 is quite a lot for a blind purchase. Blind purchase meaning you purchase something without really knowing how they sound, build quality, etc. Maybe find an audio store that caries the test units? 

Also check on head-fi for headphone meets events, and try to go there. You'll make new friends with the same (audio) hobby, and try various headphones. Just try to keep a clear head on what's logical and what's snake oil, when talking to some of the guys :) If you're in the states, too bad you just missed the can-jam event.

I have the ath-ad900x and I also want to upgrade to something better.  I hear good things about the akg-k712pro.  I'm also incredibly curious to test the he-500 for myself and see what all the fuss is about.

I really like the signature of the shure se 215's better than my Audio technica ath 900x's unless I turn up the bass a little on my 900x's then that is wayy better.

However I'm looking to get rid of when singer's say words with an "s" in them, it sounds way to sharp, especially if I turn the volume up too loud.

I would suggest trying the K712. It will have the analytical treble of the SE215 and a slight bump in the bass.

In 500 bucks I would go for HD 700's without blinking. You can actually get them now for even lower which is a steal. 

Next would be the HifiMan HE400i but they are a bit on the heavy side, still you're getting very nice sounding headsets in this price range.

PS: I sure hope you have an external DAC with decent amplifier to rock these.

Maybe something like HD650? It's a bit dark afterall

Alright can you guys recommend a good DAC and AMP to get with these grades of headphones?

Unless your onboard audio suck or it doesnt get loud enough, you probably won't need one, that's the general consensus here.

I (might) heard difference between my portable amp, ibasso and O2 with HD600. It could be placebo, could be not. I'm planning to do a blind test with my friends, see how it goes.