Can Windows 8 OEM transfer to another computer?

Regank

I originally bought a Windows 8 OEM disc when I built my first computer but I really want to build a new computer, is there a way to transfer my key/deactivate it so I can use it on my new computer?

Thanks! :D

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

An OEM copy can't be transferred, you can, however, simply use the SSD with the OS on the new build.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

An OEM copy can't be transferred, you can, however, simply use the SSD with the OS on the new build.

Doesn't it need to have the same motherboard for that to work?

Doesn't it need to have the same motherboard for that to work?

It's kind of luck of the draw. 

It can work, but it's not certain that it will. 

If I bought the non OEM version of windows, I can transfer that key, correct?

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

I may be wrong, but if it's OEM Windows 8 (NOT 8.1):

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Yes, you can move it into another PC you own, provided you remove it from the old one.

Apparently MS removed the personal use license from 8.1. I've been digging for info for the past few days and this is so far what I understand.

Edit: Retail version should entitled you to move it to new PC.

I originally bought a Windows 8 OEM disc when I built my first computer but I really want to build a new computer, is there a way to transfer my key/deactivate it so I can use it on my new computer?

Thanks! :D

It doesn't matter. In 2-3 months Windows 10 will be free, even for people with cracked/pirated versions of Windows 7 & 8(.1) so there's nothing to worry about. :)

It doesn't matter. In 2-3 months Windows 10 will be free, even for people with cracked/pirated versions of Windows 7 & 8(.1) so there's nothing to worry about. :)

Nope, that was a misinterpretation. 

Officially you can't. I have inadvertently re-used keys before without issue, but as said above it's pot luck whether it'll work.

Desktop  i5-4440 -- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 -- KFA2 GTX560 Ti  -- 4x4GB 1600MHz -- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -- CM HAF 932 -- 1TB+640GB

Laptop  i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz -- 2x4GB 1600Mhz -- GT640M -- OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 60GB

Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 6 5.0.1

University MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University

Check this statement made to Ars Technica from Microsoft...

If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade." This story has been updated to reflect that you don't get a legitimate copy of Windows 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

CPU: I5-4690K @ 4.3ghz | MOBO: Asus Z97-A | RAM: HyperX Fury 2x4GB White | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970| SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | PSU: EVGA 750B2 80+Bronze |