What is this piece of audio equipment?

I've hopefully got something a little different.

I found my dad's old stereo equipment and it had this "space dimension controller"

Googling the model number Technics SH-8040 didn't really help.

Maybe someone older and/or wiser would be able shed some light on this.

To me it sounds like a virtual surrounds kinda thingy.

WiBI24b.jpg

MWONhOO.jpg

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

"Stereo Space Dimension Controller"

I don't know what that is, but first round of googling.

Edit:

"Technics Space Dimension Controller SH-8040 is a effect unit for electronic room acoustics and ambience simulation."

"Amp/Mixer"

Lucky guy, you got yourself a distortion emulator... Jk jk idk what this is I've never seen one befor either.

MY COMPUTER-

Motherboard: ASRock B85-M Pro 4, Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 280 Gaming 3GB, CPU: Intel i5 4590 Stock Cooler, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Case: My Beloved Phanteks Enthoo Pro :wub: PSU: Cougar PowerX 700W Storage: 1x Segate 1TB 1x WD Blue 250GB 1x WD Blue 350GB, Wireless Adapter: TP Link WN881ND, Monitor: BenQ VZ2350.                      To Learn how to troll, Click here

It was popular in last sentury, used to make the sound 'wider' or 'fatter', if u will.

Still have a lot of Technics's devices: modern audio tech is better, but technics not bad at all.

It was popular in last sentury, used to make the sound 'wider' or 'fatter', if u will.

Still have a lot of Technics's devices: modern audio tech is better, but technics not bad at all.

My entire audio setup is pretty much based on technics stuff from the 80's

It's pretty nifty for having been free or very cheap for me. the only things non-Technics are my Pioneer record player and Sanyo Cd-player.

6MgxCIT.jpg

Thanks for the answer so far guys. It just seems to be some effect thingy, as I suspected.

My entire audio setup is pretty much based on technics stuff from the 80's

It's pretty nifty for having been free or very cheap for me. the only things non-Technics are my Pioneer record player and Sanyo Cd-player.

Thanks for the answer so far guys. It just seems to be some effect thingy, as I suspected.

Ahhh, u have even more 'vanila' stuff, than me.

post-186344-0-82756900-1426767644_thumb.

I actually kinda like the effect the space dimension controller(insert futuristic sound effect) produces with speakers.

A bunch of random effects. If you don't have the speakers in a conditioned room, they may help bounce the sound around differently and potentially improve the sound.

• 7 years later...
On 3/19/2015 at 10:58 PM, RatedBlam said:

I've hopefully got something a little different.

I found my dad's old stereo equipment and it had this "space dimension controller"

Googling the model number Technics SH-8040 didn't really help.

Maybe someone older and/or wiser would be able shed some light on this.

To me it sounds like a virtual surrounds kinda thingy.

WiBI24b.jpg

MWONhOO.jpg

The "echo" control simply adds a delayed signal of the audio you are playing to give it a stadium sound or large hall sound... but the ambience is a bit different. It takes the left channel minus the right then delays that a bit and removes the frequencies below 100hz and above 7kHz then feeds that into the right channel. It also takes the right channel and subtracts the left and adds a delay and removes the upper and lower frequencies as before and feeds that into the left channel. 

The effect of ambience is to make the sound appear widerw but muddying the stereo separation as a result.

This is based upon the way the Technics SH-AV22 processes sound. The av22 doesn't have the echo but the echo is a simple delayed output.

Looks cool AF.  I wonder if it's worth a lot?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission