OEM

GBELILREESE
Go to solution Solved by Will Barnard,

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, and typically OEM versions of windows are intended for people and businesses building machines.

The only differences are that they aren't don't have fancy packaging/manuals, just a cardboard disc envelope and serial number, and I believe they're more flexible for installing it onto a different machine.

EDIT - I looked into it, I'm half right. Windows 7 can only be installed on one motherboard, but you can upgrade all other components. 8 will install on any machine as long as it's only on one at any one time. Additionally, you don't get phone support, which isn't too big a deal for most people considering it, but worth a mention.

Correct, apart from they are actually less flexible when it comes to installing it on a different machine. OEM Windows keys link to the first motherboard they are used with and cannot be transferred without Microsofts help. I got Microsoft to transfer my OEM key to my new motherboard when I upgraded because I told their support that my old mobo died.

I noticed OEM on a lot of the operating systems which were for sale.

So what exactly does it stand for?

What is it?

What are the risks of getting it?

(I am a noob)

I noticed OEM on a lot of the operating systems which were for sale.

So what exactly does it stand for?

What is it?

What are the risks of getting it?

(I am a noob)

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, and typically OEM versions of windows are intended for people and businesses building machines.

The only differences are that they aren't don't have fancy packaging/manuals, just a cardboard disc envelope and serial number, and I believe they're more flexible for installing it onto a different machine.

EDIT - I looked into it, I'm half right. Windows 7 can only be installed on one motherboard, but you can upgrade all other components. 8 will install on any machine as long as it's only on one at any one time. Additionally, you don't get phone support, which isn't too big a deal for most people considering it, but worth a mention.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Oh ok.

My friend told me that if you were to get an OEM copy of Windows 7, you couldn't get 8 because it is stuck onto the motherboard. 

Correct, apart from they are actually less flexible when it comes to installing it on a different machine. OEM Windows keys link to the first motherboard they are used with and cannot be transferred without Microsofts help. I got Microsoft to transfer my OEM key to my new motherboard when I upgraded because I told their support that my old mobo died.

Oh ok.

My friend told me that if you were to get an OEM copy of Windows 7, you couldn't get 8 because it is stuck onto the motherboard. 

Not quite. You can upgrade to 8, but you won't be able to put the copy of 7 onto any other machine. OEM copies of 8 however will be able to be reused after upgrading.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Oh ok.

Is this true, because I wanted to get windows 8 then 10.

No, you can still upgrade to 8 or 10, it is just your 7 activation key can only be used with that motherboard.

Alrighty, thanks everyone!

Looks like my questions were answered. 

No, you can still upgrade to 8 or 10, it is just your 7 activation key can only be used with that motherboard.

That's wierd because I've used OEM Windows 7 keys I have stolen off of the COAs on the sides of machines and they work fine on any computer.

Are you talking about the SLIC product key embedded in BIOS? If you inject the SLIC key and SLP code into the BIOS and find the SLP certificate you might be able to use it on another board, I believe there are many articles on this.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons