Sapphire HD 7750 with an 300W PSU

Hey there,

I want to upgrade my current system with a Sapphire HD 7750. Currently I have a 300W PSU and the sapphire side says, I would need at least a 400W power supply.

I already ran a 7900 GT with a too small power supply and it worked great, but I also could have been lucky with this. :unsure:

Would it work with my power supply? I already read something that PCIe, which would be the only power source for this card, is only capable of around 75W, so it might work?

You're better off running a 750 Ti for that PSU.

Save your money and save up for an R9 270.

You're better off running a 750 Ti for that PSU.

Save your money and save up for an R9 270.

I don't need that much graphics power for my system. The 7660D in my APU worked just fine until now. But now I'm playing Cities: Skylines and it's soooo slooooow :D

I don't need that much graphics power for my system. The 7760D in my APU worked just fine until now. But now I'm playing Cities: Skylines and it's soooo slooooow :D

Well then I'd go for the 750 Ti if you don't want to spend that much. Still, the 750 Ti is lower midrange and you'd be better off with an R9 270 for 165.

check out the review sites or sites forums for that particular game. see howm it reacts to crossfire. maybe you can run ( whatever card the apu xfires with ) together and getb a slight boost.

if the game doesn't play nice with crossfire............. it would depend on the power supply. I had low end ones work fine for a while and end up not being able to take the strain and go up in stink.....literally. ( caps smell really really bad when they go )

you may have gotten lucky with your old 7600 who knows............ would I try the 7750 ( if that's what you want ) on that supply.............. yeah, why not. ( and I remember back in the early days of the apu some people were actually getting the 7750 to xfire withn their apu's. don't remember which ones anymore though............ internet vids are good. I think nicholas11x12 had one on it once. sure others have.

Well then I'd go for the 750 Ti if you don't want to spend that much. Still, the 750 Ti is lower midrange and you'd be better off with an R9 270 for 165.

As long as I don't need a new PSU ;)  But they still cost more than 3x than the HD 7750 I found :unsure:

check out the review sites or sites forums for that particular game. see howm it reacts to crossfire. maybe you can run ( whatever card the apu xfires with ) together and getb a slight boost.

if the game doesn't play nice with crossfire............. it would depend on the power supply. I had low end ones work fine for a while and end up not being able to take the strain and go up in stink.....literally. ( caps smell really really bad when they go )

you may have gotten lucky with your old 7600 who knows............ would I try the 7750 ( if that's what you want ) on that supply.............. yeah, why not. ( and I remember back in the early days of the apu some people were actually getting the 7750 to xfire withn their apu's. don't remember which ones anymore though............ internet vids are good. I think nicholas11x12 had one on it once. sure others have.

I already read some threads etc about HD 7660D + HD 7750 in dual graphics mode and it seems to work. That's what I was thinking about.

As long as I don't need a new PSU ;) But they still cost more than 3x than the HD 7750 I found :unsure:

I already read some threads etc about HD 7660D + HD 7750 in dual graphics mode and it seems to work. That's what I was thinking about.

They shouldn't work in dual graphics mode.

You should be able to use the 7750 with the PSU, but you run the risk of drawing to much power. What is the CPU and motherboard of your current setup.

You should be able to use the 7750 with the PSU, but you run the risk of drawing to much power. What is the CPU and motherboard of your current setup.

Here are some specs of the system

• CPU    AMD A10-5800K (stock cooler)
  • MB      Asus F2A85-V
  • RAM    8GB (2x4) G-Skill Sniper @1866
  • PSU    be quiet! Pure Power 300W
  • SSD    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
  • Case   Cooltek K1

I know it shouldn't work, the best graphics card for dual graphics would be a 6670, but I read i.e. on this side that it should work: www.techpowerup.com

Here are some specs of the system

• CPU    AMD A10-5800K (stock cooler)
  • MB      Asus F2A85-V
  • RAM    8GB (2x4) G-Skill Sniper @1866
  • PSU    be quiet! Pure Power 300W
  • SSD    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
  • Case   Cooltek K1
I know it shouldn't work, the best graphics card for dual graphics would be a 6670, but I read i.e. on this side that it should work: www.techpowerup.com

I still think that your power supply can handle it with a 7750, they don't use much power, but you are nearing the top of its capabilities under heavy load. You might hear additional fan noise from the PSU under load, just make sure there is clear airflow to the PSU and don't be plugging in a lot of other power sucking peripherals, and you "should" be fine. Note the quotes in the last sentence, at your own risk. The PSU doesn't seem to have any pcie connectors, take this into account when looking for a gpu. This also doesn't address any overclocking you may want to do. If you plan to OC, you will need to look into another PSU, especially if you wish to upgrade any further.

While that thread is interesting, I think you would be best served by running the video card with the APUs graphics disabled. The performance benefit is negligible and it may add more hassle/complications to your setup. You should be able to even run a 750ti if it's in your budget, but it will likely consume a slight bit more power, for less headroom under load.

pci-e connectors for what?

The PCIe slot on the main board is only capable of 75W I guess.

I still think that your power supply can handle it with a 7750, they don't use much power, but you are nearing the top of its capabilities under heavy load. You might hear additional fan noise from the PSU under load, just make sure there is clear airflow to the PSU and don't be plugging in a lot of other power sucking peripherals, and you "should" be fine. Note the quotes in the last sentence, at your own risk. The PSU doesn't seem to have any pcie connectors, take this into account when looking for a gpu. This also doesn't address any overclocking you may want to do. If you plan to OC, you will need to look into another PSU, especially if you wish to upgrade any further.

While that thread is interesting, I think you would be best served by running the video card with the APUs graphics disabled. The performance benefit is negligible and it may add more hassle/complications to your setup. You should be able to even run a 750ti if it's in your budget, but it will likely consume a slight bit more power, for less headroom under load.

I'm also pretty sure that it'll work. I'll just buy it and see what happens :lol:

he meant a pci-e connector for the card coming from the pS. it's not needed.

he meant a pci-e connector for the card coming from the pS. it's not needed.

Aaaah :rolleyes:

I just though about. Maybe it's really better to put as much power in it as i can with my 300W PSU. I could get i.e. a PNY GTX 750 1GB DDR5 for 75€. I've never heard of PNY before...

I just though about. Maybe it's really better to put as much power in it as i can with my 300W PSU. I could get i.e. a PNY GTX 750 1GB DDR5 for 75€. I've never heard of PNY before...

I'm tellling you man, save up for an R9 270.

And upgrade my PSU as well...  ~200€ for both -_-

Some news.

I got a Club 3D Radeon HD 7750 in my system and, believe it or not, dual graphic works with the integrated 7660D and the 7750.

The FPS rose from ~10FPS with the integrated over ~15FPS with the discrete HD7750 to ~20FPS in dual graphics mode.

I also tried to make a "benchmark" video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPhALvF-TMQ

Some news.

I got a Club 3D Radeon HD 7750 in my system and, believe it or not, dual graphic works with the integrated 7660D and the 7750.

The FPS rose from ~10FPS with the integrated over ~15FPS with the discrete HD7750 to ~20FPS in dual graphics mode.

I also tried to make a "benchmark" video :D

Good that you increased. Download the 3dmark Firestrike demo on steam and tell us your results.

Good that you increased. Download the 3dmark Firestrike demo on steam and tell us your results.

The results are there: 1801 Points :D