First APU build

orbifant

Hello there,

my first post here and also my first custom build.

• CPU    AMD A10-5800K (stock cooler)
  • MB      Asus F2A85-V
  • RAM    8GB (2x4) G-Skill Sniper @1866
  • PSU    be quiet! Pure Power 300W
  • SSD    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
  • Case   Cooltek K1

It's a pretty good system but thats just my opinion. What do you guys say?

I noticed that the CPU gets pretty hot and I was thinking about a better CPU cooler. The only problem is that the case is pretty small and I had no chance to fit in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for example.

post-21950-0-13945100-1407754040_thumb.j

post-21950-0-38611500-1407754049_thumb.j

post-21950-0-19782700-1407754062_thumb.j

post-21950-0-19202500-1407754070_thumb.j

get the stock cooler out now! otherwise great first build 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

It's great!

Although I question the use of an older APU A-7600 would be good and the Kingston V300 (and it's use of cheap NAND)

Looks good :) I'm sure you'll be able to find a good low-profile cooler from a decent brand.

Looks like the Hyper 212 evo should fit though...

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

ssdnow doesnt work, this ssd is as slow as a HDD with its new firmware

Personally, I just love Noctua coolers, I am using a Noctua NH-L9i (Intel) on my little HTPC and I must say that it cools really well, there is also NH-L9a (AMD). Yes, it costs a bit more than usual, but for the quality? Otherwise, really nice build :)

When I started with mine I couldn't even afford a SSD :D

EDIT: Scratch my first recommendation, try out NH-L12, that should fit also and is more cost effective.

Hello there,

my first post here and also my first custom build.

• CPU    AMD A10-5800K (stock cooler)
  • MB      Asus F2A85-V
  • RAM    8GB (2x4) G-Skill Sniper @1866
  • PSU    be quiet! Pure Power 300W
  • SSD    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
  • Case   Cooltek K1

It's a pretty good system but thats just my opinion. What do you guys say?

I noticed that the CPU gets pretty hot and I was thinking about a better CPU cooler. The only problem is that the case is pretty small and I had no chance to fit in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for example.

Pretty awesome APU build! I'll follow this for updates :)

DAZZA THE DRAGON, MEMER AND KING OF DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW.

Why you say that? That's not true... Is a good SSD for the price the one he chose... still way much better than HDDs and can keep on pair with some SSDs, go find some reviews for some info

its new firmware.... makes it slow

Thanks everyone for the answers :)

It's great!
Although I question the use of an older APU A-7600 would be good and the Kingston V300 (and it's use of cheap NAND)

ssdnow doesnt work, this ssd is as slow as a HDD with its new firmware

For the games I'm playing, the APU does more than I expected. The SSD is also pretty fast (I haven't done any firmware update so far) and until now, I had no problem with the 120GB or the 60GB one. :)

Looks like the Hyper 212 evo should fit though...

It's ~1cm too large :( I could drill some holes into the side panel but that would be too much ghetto style :D

...try out NH-L12, that should fit also and is more cost effective.

Sorry, but I really don't like the brown and beige color of the Noctua fans. Besides, it would look a bit strange, combinding the (mostly) blue, black and white with some brown. :wacko:

The Arctic Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 is lower than the evo, it's good and cheap also comes with preapplied MX-2...

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a difference between this one and the 64 model? I mean, apart from the fact that the 64 can be mounted in 4 ways and the other only in 2? ;)

good build! only the Psu is a bit overkill i think. you could have got away with a corsair v350, a lot cheaper (at least where i am) and i have never had problems with it.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

The differents is only 10€ over here I guess. And wouldn't 350W be even more overkill? ;)

Use quote function, or nobody will see this... you're lucky that entered this post

Ok, I'll do it in future. After my second post I was affraid that I overquoted :D

I already ordered my cooler on Monday... Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow :(

• 7 months later...

I'm not quiet sure, if I should continue this thread or create a new one.

I want to upgrade the graphics card a bit. The HD 7660D isn't enough for Cities: Skylines... :D

Now I could get this SAPPHIRE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 for nearly nothing but I guess, it wouldn't work woth my 300W power supply.

I already ran a 7900 GT with a too small power supply and it worked great, but I also could have been lucky with this. :unsure:

I also would like to test Dual Graphics mode with both graphics cards :wub:

• 5 months later...

Maybe it's time for an update on this machine.

After adding a Club 3D Radeon HD 7750 to get some more FPS in Cities: Skylines and having it in dual graphics configuration with the the APU, I'm unsatisfied again. The frame rate is ok for playing but it could be better. Also, I'm waiting for Planet Coaster or RollerCoaster Tycoon World to be released. For both games, my system probably wouldn't be good enough.

My plan is, to follow the guys in this thread and add a R9 270 to my system.

I now that my PSU isn't powerful enough for that and that I've to upgrade that as well. I tried several PSU calculator sites with recommendations from 320W to 450W. In addition to the specs above there is a second optical drive in it and I switched my sound card to an ASUS Xonar DX which needs a floppy connector :D
Should 430W be enough?

I was never really happy with my 5800k. It seemed the throttle under load no matter what I did, even with an H80i on it. For PC intensive games it was garbage even after I added a HD7950 to the mix. As for your question 430W would probably be okay although depending on your budget you could probably get a decent 500W PSU for for a few more euro to get a little extra headroom for future upgrades.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

I was never really happy with my 5800k. It seemed the throttle under load no matter what I did, even with an H80i on it. For PC intensive games it was garbage even after I added a HD7950 to the mix. As for your question 430W would probably be okay although depending on your budget you could probably get a decent 500W PSU for for a few more euro to get a little extra headroom for future upgrades.

For now I'm totally happy with it. But i have to note that I was used to an P4 with 3GHz before this one, so it was a huge step for me :D

The PSU is now already ordered an will be an be quiet! L7 530W. That should be enough :)