4790k vs 4690k

Trying to decide between the i7 4790k and the i5 4690k. Both have four cores and are unlocked so cores and clock speed aren't issues. But the higher end has 8mb of cache (compared to 5mb) and hyperthreading. I understand hyperthreading to an extent but the idea of cache is lost to me. Tried Techqickie but couldn't find an answer there.

With futureproofing in mind, does the difference between the two justify its far higher price tag?

Depends. What do you plan to do with it? If you're going to be doing rendering / video work, or streaming, the 4790k is arguably worth it, but the 4690k can stream more than adequately with QuickSync.

If you don't do heavy media work, go with the i5. It will last you a lot of years. :)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

If you are doing lots of content creation / rendering / video thingy = i7 4790K.

Mainly gaming and doing little / none content creation / rendering / video thingy = i5 4690K.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

If you are on a budget and want the performance of an i7 + HT without the cost of the i7 4790K, then the Intel Xeon E3-1231/1241 V3 are good options, however, you do loose the iGPU + QuickSync and the ability to overclock, but if you don't mine loosing those then they're a considerably less expensive option. Just some food for thought. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If you have the money, and spending an extra $100 on CPU won't reduce the quality of components anywhere else in your build, then yes, get the i7 with looking towards the future.  That is not to say the i5 won't last a long time, because it will.  It really depends on your build as a whole, if you have the capital to spare, then I do this an i7 is not a terrible purchase looking towards the future.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."