Who's tried windows 8.1 preview?

SirReallySam

I installed it, and I like it :) especially sliding down and you see al your installed apps :D feels good, also you can categorize them as well, like alphabetical order or type of application :) I like it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I'm using it.  It's pretty nice and fairly bug free.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I'm using it.  It's pretty nice and fairly bug free.

indeed I agree, but it did take a long time to install !!!

PROFILEYEAH

indeed I agree, but it did take a long time to install !!!

Yeah, took a while to install for me too... was fine when doing it via the ISO though.

Yeah, took a while to install for me too... was fine when doing it via the ISO though.

oh cool :) nice to know, I just downloaded that just in case, after installing it through the Marketplace.

PROFILEYEAH

I'm using it. I like some of the new options. I like being able to change the icon sizes but I wish some I could make large instead of just the small and medium. One thing I really dislike still though is how icons have to be in line and in order. I'm not able to have the icons where ever I want they have to be from top to bottom in a column.

Still haven't figured out how to change the 'metro' background, still a lot of wasted space I feel, the search functionality is way better but still not great. Some things like 'netplwiz' doesn't show up in the small search bar you have to hit enter than it shows up. But having Bing right there is nice. Apps don't close when you go back to the home screen so when you alt-tab you can have a bunch of applications there (personal preference though makes going back to them a bit faster if they are already open)

I think it is still very complicated for people who are new to it and don't want to spend hours fixing it up and putting things everywhere. I wish things I used more had metro applications like Steam but they have a stick in there ass about windows 8 so I don't see that happening anytime soon. And you can't watch youtube videos in chrome on the windows 8 mode because of plugin support.

Still a ways to go but it is getting better and will with time. Hasn't even been a release and some of the issues i've had are being fixed which is nice. Wonder what is is going to be like in a year from now. Even 6 months. Plus DX11.2 HELL YEA. 

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

[...] Still haven't figured out how to change the 'metro' background, [...]

While on the Start screen, go to the Settings charm and press "Personalize".

While on the Start screen, go to the Settings charm and press "Personalize".

Thanks, I wish you could just have no background and it be clear so that anything you have open on the desktop would be your background so I can see what is open and to make the transition smoother.

Also if I have transitioning wallpaper on my desktop does the metro screen change with it or is it solid.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Thanks, I wish you could just have no background and it be clear so that anything you have open on the desktop would be your background so I can see what is open and to make the transition smoother.

Also if I have transitioning wallpaper on my desktop does the metro screen change with it or is it solid.

Transitioning wallpaper, as in a slideshow? Should change with it.

A little bit buggy, but so far Ilike it. It's not amazing, ut I like it bettr than 8 and even 7.

It bricked my whole system, had to restore it from my WHS backup. Only got to use it in safe mode.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Does anyone know whether search is fixed?  That's about all I care about really.

When I search using Start8, only programs in the Start Menu show up, no files or anything.  And on my desktop, search in Explorer is straight up broken.  No results ever.

Really hoping 8.1 takes care of these issues.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Search is pretty unified, also being able to search online with bing... but whenever i try to search for things it lags a bit (even with a ssd) but it is beta its not bad.

what he said :)

PROFILEYEAH