Recommended Cheap Video Capture Card?

Brian Walker

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section I honestly didn't know where to pot it haha :)

Si I was hoping you guys will be able to help me find a cheapish Video Capture Card for recording gameplay and software tutorials I was hoping to get one for under £50 But yea I'm not really sure if it's even possible haha.

I was hoping to get a Avermedia Live Gamer HD but there over £130 from what I can see. :(

Thanks all!

For PC? You can record your desktop using Camtasia or record gameplay with dxtory or fraps.

Good Morning...

Are you going to use it for recording gameplay from a console or PC? I don't know much about capture cards, but I don't think you are going to find a decent one for that price. But if you are going to record PC games, just use FRAPS or other recording software; it's just so much simpler to deal with.

My PC

• CPU: i7 2600k @4.5GHz
  • Cooler: Corsair H100
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 580 SC
  • PSU: Corsair AX-850w
  • Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth
  • HDD: WD 1TB Black Caviar
  • RAM: Corsair 8GB Dominator
  • Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
  • Monitors: ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080
  • Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder
  • Keyboard: Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

I searched for capture cards at one point and cheapest I could find was 70$. I think it was from Magix or some other not so high-end company.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As said, it sounds like you are wanting to record your PC, so you need software rather than hardware.

If you do mean a capture card, I have personally found that you get what you pay for... I first purchased an Avermedia HD for ~$100 (not the new gaming one, and I forget the exact model) and the recordings were poor quality with lots of vertical lines. I then purchased the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for ~$200 and it was a night and day difference at how good the Blackmagic was.

Guys I have Fraps already but with the games I need to record are CPU intensive so for me recording with Fraps or anything else kills the playback video.

Yes it's for PC, I don't think I would have posted in the "PC Gaming" forum otherwise, sorry I guess I should have said that in the first place.

As said' date=' it sounds like you are wanting to record your PC, so you need software rather than hardware. If you do mean a capture card, I have personally found that you get what you pay for... I first purchased an Avermedia HD for ~$100 (not the new gaming one, and I forget the exact model) and the recordings were poor quality with lots of vertical lines. I then purchased the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for ~$200 and it was a night and day difference at how good the Blackmagic was. [/quote']

Thanks, so expensive though looks like I'll have to fine a used one for cheaper or save up.

I have the same problem with Battlefield 3, I get 120+fps on low settings at 1080p, but if I use fraps my fps is 30 and it's not playable.

You die, I get paid.

I have the same problem with Battlefield 3, I get 120+fps on low settings at 1080p, but if I use fraps my fps is 30 and it's not playable.
You need to try out Dxtory. It's amazing how well it can record games without degrading performance. It's 10x better than fraps. You just need to have a drive that can write at least 100MB/s for optimal recording.

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

I'm going to keep my eye out for a sale on drives and maybe just use 2 cheap drives in RAID 0

But that'll be after I replace my boot drive with an SSD :)

You die, I get paid.