HTC's Profits Sink Like the Titanic, Down 83 Percent in Q2 2013

tabuburn

Looks like even with their flagship phone, the HTC One, the company is still quite struggling to get back on its feet. Their profit for Q2 is higher than what they got in Q1 but is way down compared to the same quarter during the previous year. It seems like they are inching their way back up but is still feeling the pressure Samsung's gigantic presence.

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/htcs_profits_sink_titanic_down_83_percent_q2_2013

Bring back the removable battery and microSD/MMC support on top of the great build quality phones they make and those HTC profits will rise again.

Damn, I dont care for Samsungs phones, there approach is more power, bigger screen cheaper all around build quality! me and my bro both had samsung phones and they would randomly restart or shutdown, they always had problems sending text messages etc. i highly prefer LG and HTC 

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

They are inching up, and they finally managed to release 4.2.2 for Sense on the HTC One...if they keep up the food work like this, perhaps create a new flagship with better button placement and removable storage with same build quality and their condition will change

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Alluminum is not free ;)

Interested in Business and Technology

Bring back the removable battery and microSD/MMC support on top of the great build quality phones they make and those HTC profits will rise again.

i agree with the sd card however you can't have a removable battery and an awesome build quality like the htc one it just doesn't work because it has a uni body

i agree with the sd card however you can't have a removable battery and an awesome build quality like the htc one it just doesn't work because it has a uni body

There are ways to make it feel very solid and still have a removable back. The HTC Sensation is a great example of this.

There's a chinese version of the One with a removable battery plus two sim card slots and it still has the same build quailty and look.

There's a chinese version of the One with a removable battery plus two sim card slots and it still has the same build quailty and look.

Well it wont have the exact build quality as the original

There are ways to make it feel very solid and still have a removable back. The HTC Sensation is a great example of this.

There are however it would never have the same build quality as the the original because it would no longer be a unibody

There are however it would never have the same build quality as the the original because it would no longer be a unibody

The main strength will still be there because most of the components will still be embedded into the aluminum core. It's not like taking away less than a millimeter of aluminum unibodiness is going to suddenly turn the phone to plastic.

Edited by ShearMe

Coming from a HTC Sensation user, their main weakness is that they are unable to make customers brand loyal as I for one will never recommend nor buy another HTC handset. They never update their older phones to any newer Android versions and expect users to buy newer ones every year. I for one am happy hearing this as I would not mind if HTC was just not there tomorrow...

PS- Phones down here are only available unlocked, and that means you are paying 700-1000$ for a flagship phone.

PC in Profile

I really hope HTC pulls through.  As the major pioneer of Android I'd love to see them stay competitive.

If I were upgrading today, the MicroSD card slot is the one thing that would make me choose the GS4 over the One.  I can't let my 32GB SD card go to waste like that.  I really hope they consider bringing it back for future phones.

I'm not as particular about the removable battery these days.  Modern phones easily last a day, and holding the power button gets the same results as a battery pull.  I'm willing to take the chance that my battery could straight up die.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

This is just the press being stupid. Yes, they are having a hard time, but it's all about how it is reported: for example, in the following link http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/35923/htc-ziet-winst-stijgen-naar-323-miljoen-euro ,the title says:

"HTC sees its profit rise to 32,3 million euros" -> seems a lot less bad, doesn't it?

Coming from a HTC Sensation user, their main weakness is that they are unable to make customers brand loyal as I for one will never recommend nor buy another HTC handset. They never update their older phones to any newer Android versions and expect users to buy newer ones every year. I for one am happy hearing this as I would not mind if HTC was just not there tomorrow...

PS- Phones down here are only available unlocked, and that means you are paying 700-1000$ for a flagship phone.

I am one of the few HTC loyalists out there, and honestly most of their phone are great value for the money. For example the 8S is a great phone (180 euros here) for people that want a good smartphone that looks good but doesn't cost too much.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I've always associated HTC with the makers of good-for-the-masses cheaper phones, which is perfectly fine in my book. Complaining about a cheaper phone is like complaining about not having a 5-star meal at McDonald's.

I'd speculate the reason they've had losses is due to more people buying flagship phones as of late, and the One fixes that. It used to be you upgraded every 1-2 years but the market is slowing with devices being able to last mainstream users longer than that - kinda like your parent's 5 year old Dell.

Edited by ShearMe

This is just the press being stupid. Yes, they are having a hard time, but it's all about how it is reported: for example, in the following link http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/35923/htc-ziet-winst-stijgen-naar-323-miljoen-euro ,the title says:

"HTC sees its profit rise to 32,3 million euros" -> seems a lot less bad, doesn't it?

I am one of the few HTC loyalists out there, and honestly most of their phone are great value for the money. For example the 8S is a great phone (180 euros here) for people that want a good smartphone that looks good but doesn't cost too much.

I personally found their build quality to be subpar at best. The soft touch finish completely came off the back of my phone and my power buttons metal coating has worn off, making it pretty rough. The paint on the aluminium came off on the sides too, so I can't really say I'm quite impressed given all this has happened within just over a year of owning the phone, but maybe it was just a bad cover to start with. Either way, not updating their older Android flagships is inexusable to me.

PC in Profile

The main strength will still be there because most of the components will still be embedded into the aluminum core. It's not like taking away less than a millimeter of aluminum unibodiness is going to suddenly turn the phone to plastic.

no it wont but some people prefer having a uni body and if the back cover isnt attached properly or the phone dropped then it will come off

I think that's too little too late to make any difference.

thats number one reason i would not buy htc phone.

Honestly i think they need to step up the game just let google update it, rather have smooth nexus experience then buggy htc experience.

Agree

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

thats number one reason i would not buy htc phone.

Honestly i think they need to step up the game just let google update it, rather have smooth nexus experience then buggy htc experience.

A Google Play edition of the HTC One does exist...

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

A Google Play edition of the HTC One does exist...

But most people buying a phone with their carrier wont have access to it.

HTC may not always be the fastest at getting updates out to their phones, but in my experience they at least don't push updates before they're ready. I don't have a lot of personal experience with Samsung phones, but a friend of mine got one at the same time as I got my HTC Rezound, and hers has been constantly getting less speed and worse battery life every update while my phone still works just as well as the day I bought it (if not better). That said, it had pretty massive battery life issues to start with, but it also had pretty solid build quality (not exactly a One, but I've dropped it several times and only have some dents in the shell and a couple barely visible scratches on the screen), still-respectable specs, and the best screen that could be had on any phone at the time.

I don't have any issue recommending HTC as a company, though specific products maybe not. I plan to get the HTC One as soon as Verizon will cover 2/3 of the cost (hopefully soon).