Building my first rig, need help.

Building my first rig and just wanted a little help finding parts. I'm going with AMD cpu and gpu. I've always hated them for no reason other than that I think Intel and Nvidia are better but I really wanna give AMD a chance.

I want something with upgrade potential. I understand the AM3+ is a dead socket but for my needs the 9590 will last me plenty of years.

I plan on starting cheap with these parts though.

FX 6300

R9 260x

8gb Vengeance ram

750D case

120gb SSDx2 for raid 0

Optical drive

1tb SSHD

What I need help with is finding the right motherboard and cooling system, something that can handle overclocking the 9590 and crossfire 295x2's if I ever decide to try something so impractical. Also I plan on making this into the ultimate AMD editing/recording/capturing/gaming rig as time goes by so I'm not sure If I should start with the PSU I need now or go ahead and get something like a 1500w.

My other concern for the motherboard is I want to make sure it has an integrated raid controller if possible.

Also because I'm sure it will get brought up, I know the 9590 is just a factory overclocked 8350. I don't wanna void the warrenty trying to reach the same performance though. Like I said, I'm starting cheap with a 6300 but trying to think long term too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit:

Here is my parts list for the final build. Please realize it's more of a fun build than a practical one. It will still be a good rig even with an extra gpu that make no sense to have :)

PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c2FvCJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c2FvCJ/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

**CPU** | [AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd9590fhhkwox) | $299.98 @ NCIX US

**CPU Cooler** | [NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-cpu-cooler-rlkrx6101) | $128.99 @ SuperBiiz

**Motherboard** | [Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-crosshairvformulaz) | $218.99 @ SuperBiiz

**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9r) | $137.88 @ OutletPC

**Storage** | [samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te120bw) | $88.98 @ OutletPC

**Storage** | [samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te120bw) | $88.98 @ OutletPC

**Storage** | [seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dx001) | $78.98 @ OutletPC

**Video Card** | [XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9295x8qfa) (2-Way CrossFire) | $600.00 @ Newegg

**Video Card** | [XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9295x8qfa) (2-Way CrossFire) | $600.00 @ Newegg

**Case** | [Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-750d) | $119.99 @ Newegg

**Power Supply** | [Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020057na) | $449.99 @ Amazon

**Optical Drive** | [LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-optical-drive-uh12ns30) | $39.98 @ OutletPC

**Wireless Network Adapter** | [Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac68) | $94.49 @ OutletPC

| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $3057.23

| Mail-in rebates | -$110.00

| **Total** | **$2947.23**

| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-03-14 16:41 EDT-0400 |

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Building my first rig and just wanted a little help finding parts. I'm going with AMD cpu and gpu. I've always hated them for no reason other than that I think Intel and Nvidia are better but I really wanna give AMD a chance.

I want something with upgrade potential. I understand the AM3+ is a dead socket but for my needs the 9590 will last me plenty of years.

I plan on starting cheap with these parts though.

FX 6300

R9 260x

8gb Vengeance ram

750D case

120gb SSDx2 for raid 0

Optical drive

1tb SSHD

What I need help with is finding the right motherboard and cooling system, something that can handle overclocking the 9590 and crossfire 295x2's if I ever decide to try something so impractical. Also I plan on making this into the ultimate AMD editing/recording/capturing/gaming rig as time goes by so I'm not sure If I should start with the PSU I need now or go ahead and get something like a 1500w.

My other concern for the motherboard is I want to make sure it has an integrated raid controller if possible.

Also because I'm sure it will get brought up, I know the 9590 is just a factory overclocked 8350. I don't wanna void the warrenty trying to reach the same performance though. Like I said, I'm starting cheap with a 6300 but trying to think long term too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

uhhhh what is your budget ? Go with Intel....its more powerful for your money.....not sure why you going with AMD when Intel is twice as better.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

"Starting cheap"? Well, then I wouldn't choose raid 0 with SSD... Just take 1 SSD and 1 HDD, and with the extra money invest in a CPU cooler (but stock is fine too) and maybe better GPU/CPU.

Get a cheaper Case and invest into a better GPU

Just thinking about running 2x 295x2 is stupid

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Please, don't buy a build just because it's all from the same manufacturer. Get a Intel CPU, they are much better than AMDs. Their graphics cards are fine but again, please never get dual 295x2.

Also when linking a build use the BBC mark-up part of pcpartpicker.com it makes it a whole lot easier for everyone.
As for the rest of yoiur build, why SSDs in raid? and why then a SSHD? - bad idea my friend
pls dont get a optical drive, it has a USB port - that's just my person point
For CPU cooling get the CM evo 212, it's a very good cooler for money

uhhhh what is your budget ? Go with Intel....its more powerful for your money.....not sure why you going with AMD when Intel is twice as better.

Yea, you shot know better owning a FX6300. It's perfectly fine for his scenario.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Yea, you shot know better owning a FX6300. It's perfectly fine for his scenario.

Rather have the dude go with a more powerful Intel build compared to a crappy AMD build.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I have an Intel 4770k already with a 970 I overpaid to have pre built before I realized how easy it really was to do it myself. I use it for everything. Honestly I just want to build an AMD rig for no practical reason other than just to have fun with it. My starting budget is $850. Long term I will just keep adding what's left from every check though. I know this build makes very little sense. One day when it's finished and I have the most cracked out AMD on the block I think it will all be worth it though just for the wow factor. Don't really see a lot of people doing it for obvious reasons.

Oh my god, The intel fanboys are attacking! 

Intel does have better performance per core, that is true. But now that more games are using more cores AMD isn't all that bad. Especially for a budget build for something like streaming.

But, your build is horrible. a r7 260x won't play minecraft at higher then 5FPS. a SSHD and 2 SSDs in RAID0? why you spending money where its not needed! And don't just build a machine planning on upgrading everything. It is the worst idea I have ever heard. Save up, THEN build a badass AMD build.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Intel does have better performance per core, that is true. But now that more games are using more cores AMD isn't all that bad. Especially for a budget build for something like streaming.

But, your build is horrible. a r7 260x won't play minecraft at higher then 5FPS. a SSHD and 2 SSDs in RAID0? why you spending money where its not needed! And don't just build a machine planning on upgrading everything. It is the worst idea I have ever heard. Save up, THEN build a badass AMD build.

Dude, a internal gpu will play mc at higher then 100 fps...

And the FX 6300 is 6 cores, mc runs only on 1 core. A g3258 would be a LOT better for mc

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

My big concern with starting out is handling WoW on Ultra which I can already do on my 970. I would just save up and get a Crosshair, 290x, 8350, 8gb 1600mhz ram, 1000w psu, and a 1tb HHD to start out but I already have my case just sitting here empty :(

My big concern with starting out is handling WoW on Ultra which I can already do on my 970. I would just save up and get a Crosshair, 290x, 8350, 1000w psu, and a 1tb HHD to start out but I already have my case just sitting here empty :(

If you want to build a badass AMD rig to prove all the intel fanboys wrong. Don't start out with crappy hardware to plan to upgrade later. Because you will either waste your money, because you will have to replace almost everything(including your motherboard, and maybe RAM if AMD supports DDR4 by then) Or you will be running on old, outdated hardware which won't show your badassery off very well.

Dude, a internal gpu will play mc at higher then 100 fps...

And the FX 6300 is 6 cores, mc runs only on 1 core. A g3258 would be a LOT better for mc

I was just trying to make a point. It doesn't ACTUALLY only play at 5FPS. I was just trying to say that the R7 260x is in no way a gaming card. Its what you put in your mom's computer because she can't run her farmville.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

If you want to build a badass AMD rig to prove all the intel fanboys wrong. Don't start out with crappy hardware to plan to upgrade later. Because you will either waste your money, because you will have to replace almost everything(including your motherboard, and maybe RAM if AMD supports DDR4 by then) Or you will be running on old, outdated hardware which won't show your badassery off very well.

I was just trying to make a point. It doesn't ACTUALLY only play at 5FPS. I was just trying to say that the R7 260x is in no way a gaming card. Its what you put in your mom's computer because she can't run her farmville.

Not everyone has $300 to throw on a gpu...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Not everyone has $300 to throw on a gpu...

I know, But a R7 260x will not play anything integrated graphics won't. So if you want to do some gaming. save up extra $20 and get a R9 270 or R9 270X

You do have good points. I have one question off topic from those though. Would I get any benefits at all from running crossfire 295x2's in my workstation? I'll be honest and it's something I'm sure you already know.

I just wanna do it because I can kinda.

Honestly I'm pretty sure the build I just listed in my last post with a 8350 and a single 290x would be just as good as my impractical dream build for everything I need. I am pretty set on two SSD's with raid 0 though.

I know my topic is pretty funny to say the least. That's why I'm here though. Trying to get a gauge on how much really is too much when it comes to such a build.

You do have good points. I have one question off topic from those though. Would I get any benefits at all from running crossfire 295x2's in my workstation? I'll be honest and it's something I'm sure you already know.

I just wanna do it because I can kinda.

Honestly I'm pretty sure the build I just listed in my last post with a 8350 and a single 290x would be just as good as my impractical dream build for everything I need. I am pretty set on two SSD's with raid 0 though.

I know my topic is pretty funny to say the least. That's why I'm here though. Trying to get a gauge on how much really is too much when it comes to such a build.

Well... I guess there comes a point where its uneccessary and you could spend the money somewhere else like some monitors to take use of the power. But, if you have the money and you are still getting performance back from the money you put in... There isn't really a wall to hit.