Any information about a GTX 780 6GB version coming out?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has heard/read/found anything information regarding a 6GB version of GTX 780 coming out. If this is a stupid question for any reason, I apologize.

However, I would seriously like one as I want to be ready for 4K in the future (say 2-3 years), and I definitely plan to buy a GTX 780 soon and am deciding if I should hold off until I can get a better version for my future needs.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Sorry if I come on as blunt, but its called geforce Titan I am afraid and I doubt they will release a 6gb 780 card anytime soon.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has heard/read/found anything information regarding a 6GB version of GTX 780 coming out. If this is a stupid question for any reason, I apologize.

However, I would seriously like one as I want to be ready for 4K in the future (say 2-3 years), and I definitely plan to buy a GTX 780 soon and am deciding if I should hold off until I can get a better version for my future needs.

Thanks,

Vitalius

Well, with a 6GB version of a 780, you're gonna be looking at a 100-150 dollar increase in price. So It may be a better idea to get a Titan. It'll cost even more but you'll be getting that double-point precision capability along with the 6GB of vram.

nVidia has realsed a topic talking about this and thay said ''we dont let manufacturors change the PCB wich means they cant play around with memory there wont be any gtx780 above or below 3gb.

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Well I doubt they will do it because the VRAM is one of the only differences between a titan and a 780, if they release a 6gb 780, why would anyone buy a titan?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I doubt they even will.

Sorry if I come on as blunt, but its called geforce Titan I am afraid and I doubt they will release a 6gb 780 card anytime soon.

lol you mean the TITAN?

Well, with a 6GB version of a 780, you're gonna be looking at a 100-150 dollar increase in price. So It may be a better idea to get a Titan. It'll cost even more but you'll be getting that double-point precision capability along with the 6GB of vram.

nVidia has realsed a topic talking about this and thay said ''we dont let manufacturors change the PCB wich means they cant play around with memory there wont be any gtx780 above or below 3gb.

Well I doubt they will do it because the VRAM is one of the only differences between a titan and a 780, if they release a 6gb 780, why would anyone buy a titan?

I doubt they even will.

These are the types of responses I semi-expected. :(

$400+ more dollars for 3GB of VRAM? .. I just feel that's unnecessary. Far too unnecessary.

Oh well. Titan it is. I'll just save up another 2 weeks. It'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks guys.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you really want to be 4k ready, then buy a new graphics card for 4k-gaming when you are going to switch to 4k. With current drivers, two Geforce TITANs in SLI will only get around 60 fps @4k in Battlefield 3 on ultra settings. If you compare current graphic processing power with 2-3 years ago, try to imagine what you'll get in about 2-3 years in the future. 

Wi RoZ

$400+ more dollars for 3GB of VRAM? .. I just feel that's unnecessary. Far too unnecessary.

Oh well. Titan it is. I'll just save up another 2 weeks. It'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks guys.

OR....780 for now because 3gb is more than enough for 1x 1080p monitor and by the time 4k is relevant a titan won't be able to keep up with games that are out by then. 

Unless of course you are planning on doing multi monitor?

If you really want to be 4k ready, then buy a new graphics card for 4k-gaming when you are going to switch to 4k. With current drivers, two Geforce TITANs in SLI will only get around 60 fps @4k in Battlefield 3 on ultra settings. If you compare current graphic processing power with 2-3 years ago, try to imagine what you'll get in about 2-3 years in the future. 

OR....780 for now because 3gb is more than enough for 1x 1080p monitor and by the time 4k is relevant a titan won't be able to keep up with games that are out by then. 

Unless of course you are planning on doing multi monitor?

I'm not. Which makes me wonder. Triple monitor 4K. .. *head explodes*

But no, I don't like multi-monitor.

I just did some math while watching Linus' video on the performance of the GTX 780 when I noticed that the settings he has it running at for most of the games is SSAA x4.

SSAA x4 practically means he's running it at 4x the resolution and that resolution is 1080p. 4x1080p = 4K (with no AA). 

At 4K and assuming a monitor size ranging from 27-33", the PPI (pixels per inch) would effectively mean any AA would be next to pointless as it'd be almost unnoticeable. 

So, practically, a GTX 780 can run games at 4K without any AA but very high settings (in the case of Metro: Last Light) at around 40 FPS. SLI 780's would easily put that at over 60FPS which is my minimum.

Because AA usage directly increases VRAM used, this means the amount of VRAM being used during these tests is also equivalent to what would be used in these same situation on 4K with no AA. 

GTX 780 it is.

† Christian Member †

Thanks guys.

Well remember, the VRAM is the most noticeable difference, but it's not the only one:

TITAN                                                                                                780

e4048b409e721ff7b7aa118f5d515021.png

The titan pretty much beats the 780 in every spec (by a little bit), plus it has quite a bit more CUDA cores, so it's better for content creation. Think of the Titan as a fusion between a quadro card and a gaming card, while the 780 is more gaming oriented. 

Edit: quadro card, not hydro. My bad :P

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I'm not. Which makes me wonder. Triple monitor 4K. .. *head explodes*

But no, I don't like multi-monitor.

I just did some math while watching Linus' video on the performance of the GTX 780 when I noticed that the settings he has it running at for most of the games is SSAA x4.

SSAA x4 practically means he's running it at 4x the resolution and that resolution is 1080p. 4x1080p = 4K (with no AA). 

At 4K and assuming a monitor size ranging from 27-33", the PPI (pixels per inch) would effectively mean any AA would be next to pointless as it'd be almost unnoticeable. 

So, practically, a GTX 780 can run games at 4K without any AA but very high settings (in the case of Metro: Last Light) at around 40 FPS. SLI 780's would easily put that at over 60FPS which is my minimum.

GTX 780 it is.

triple monitor 4k with 4xAA *head explodes*

triple monitor 4k with 4xAA *head explodes*

SSAA x 4*

... Let's do math!

3840 x 3 (monitors) = 11520 × 2160 total Resolution

(11520 x 2160) * 4 (SSAA) = 46080 x 8640

.... Or 398,131,200 pixels

*body erupts into a mushroom cloud*

I think I've found a way to bring 4-way SLI Titans to their knees. I'd expect 5FPS at that resolution.

Well remember, the VRAM is the most noticeable difference, but it's not the only one:

The titan pretty much beats the 780 in every spec (by a little bit), plus it has quite a bit more CUDA cores, so it's better for content creation. Think of the Titan as a fusion between a quadro card and a gaming card, while the 780 is more gaming oriented. 

Edit: quadro card, not hydro. My bad :P

I'm not really into content creation. My only requirements for a GPU is that it handle 4K at best possible settings (no AA) at 60+FPS. 

Thanks though. :)

† Christian Member †

After more thought, and realizing that the Titan gives about 10% more FPS on most games, I've decided to be patient and get a Titan.

I know I'm kind of being wishy washy, but it's a lot of money, and I'd prefer to not have to buy this again for a long long long time. 

Titan it is (really this time). lol

† Christian Member †

I'm in for a GTX780 as well, but now the really hard question, which vendor/version? >_<

Well titan's a easier pick I suppose. :P

so you want set up a 3x2190p (that be so Awesome!!!)  :D

let me see in my crystal ball a moment...  :ph34r:

i don't see a 780 6GB at this time  :(

but... i do see a Titan II (6GB) after AMD lunch thet VI series  ;)

still, i don't think Nvidia have a good 3x2160p (but that is just me)

i thing a dual 7990 will be your best choise (we already know that she can run 4K max games easy)

don't worry for the low Vram, 12GB (with 3GB eVram) will be my choise for a 3x2160p  :wub: 

still, keep in mind that we are still waiting for a 2160p that can run at 60 fps instead the standard 30 fps we have

After more thought, and realizing that the Titan gives about 10% more FPS on most games, I've decided to be patient and get a Titan.

I know I'm kind of being wishy washy, but it's a lot of money, and I'd prefer to not have to buy this again for a long long long time. 

Titan it is (really this time). lol

Goddamnit! Everyone's buying titans and I've had 2 of em' for months, yet I can't even try them until I get my water cooling loop up and running. It's gonna take another few weeks, aaaaghhhh :D

Me want to play crysis 3 on 3 120hz displays in surround!!

The problem is there's no way to tell if two titans will actually be ready for 4k in 2-3 years. It can play at 4k right now, but what will it be able to do with new games. Compare the performance it gets in something new like crysis 3 or far cry 3 to battlefield 3 which is only a couple years old and see the difference just a few years make.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Goddamnit! Everyone's buying titans and I've had 2 of em' for months, yet I can't even try them until I get my water cooling loop up and running. It's gonna take another few weeks, aaaaghhhh :D

Me want to play crysis 3 on 3 120hz displays in surround!!

Hahha, I can't wait to get mine. That must suck though :(. I would've bought 1 Titan and the water cooling required to run it, then waited to get the other one and the waterblock with it.

The problem is there's no way to tell if two titans will actually be ready for 4k in 2-3 years. It can play at 4k right now, but what will it be able to do with new games. Compare the performance it gets in something new like crysis 3 or far cry 3 to battlefield 3 which is only a couple years old and see the difference just a few years make.

Well, while I understand your concerns, a single Titan can push 40FPS at the equivalent of 4K with Very High Details in one of the most demanding games out atm (Metro: Last Light). So two should be able to push about 75-80FPS.

That, and when I say "be ready", well, I mean to say that they will start out at very high settings, then as the years go on, I'll have to keep pushing it down until I'm basically forced to buy new GPU's. That, I expect to be 5-10 years from now.

That may sound crazy, but think about how crazy it will be when SLI Titans can't run a game at 60FPS at Medium details at 4K. :| Crazy indeed.

† Christian Member †

Hahha, I can't wait to get mine. That must suck though :(. I would've bought 1 Titan and the water cooling required to run it, then waited to get the other one and the waterblock with it.

That's actually not the problem, I ordered my water cooling parts pretty shortly after I ordered my titans, the thing is we left on a 3 week holiday right as all the parts arrived :| So I have to wait until next week Friday. Let's just say it's going to be a nice weekend :D

i will not go so deep into this cause it would take too long and its really late night here :P even if you get same fps with 780 and titan titan will look smoother cause of several things p.m me if you want to know but pls dont its late ...

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

SSAA x 4*

... Let's do math!

3840 x 3 (monitors) = 11520 × 2160 total Resolution

(11520 x 2160) * 4 (SSAA) = 46080 x 8640

.... Or 398,131,200 pixels

*body erupts into a mushroom cloud*

I think I've found a way to bring 4-way SLI Titans to their knees. I'd expect 5FPS at that resolution.

I'm not really into content creation. My only requirements for a GPU is that it handle 4K at best possible settings (no AA) at 60+FPS. 

Thanks though. :)

You asked about this on the live stream didn't you :P ? I'm watching the archive now!