Microsoft's Cortana is Coming to iOS and Android

ahhming

Digital assistant to be released as standalone app on Apple's App Store and Google PlayMicrosoft is planning to bring its Cortana digital assistant to iOS and Android as a standalone app.

Reuters reports that the standalone app will be available on phones and tablets running iOS and Android. Microsoft is currently building Cortana into Windows 10 which is set to debut later this year, and it’s likely that the digital assistant will make its way on to Android and iOS alongside its PC expansion.

In an interview with Reuters, Microsoft’s Eric Horvitz, managing director of Microsoft Research, reveals that the company is planning a bigger roll out of Cortana later this year. "This kind of technology, which can read and understand email, will play a central role in the next roll out of Cortana, which we are working on now for the fall time frame,” says Horvitz. Microsoft is currently developing a more advanced version of Cortana, codenamed project Einstein, that pulls data from artificial intelligence. While there’s not many details on Einstein from Reuters’ report, it appears to be an effort to improve the awareness of Cortana and its ability to automate even more tasks.

The key to Cortana's success will be knowing where a user is, what time it is, and what they are trying to do. Albert Einstein's work on the relationship between space and time gave rise to Microsoft's secret project name, said Horvitz.

Sources:

http://thenextweb.co...s-devices-soon/

http://www.reuters.c...N0M914D20150313

http://www.theverge....ana-ios-androidSource:http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/03/13/microsofts-voice-assistant-cortana-is-reportedly-coming-to-android-and-ios-devices-soon/Other Sources:

Click here to view the article

Read the Coc, you need to add your own thoughts/opinions on any news topic you post.

Pretty cool though, I'd like to be able to use Cortana on iOS.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Gotta give it to him, Nadella is determined to go balls deep with his "Let's just become Google" strategy

that image is forever in my head

also not going to lie.. I always read is name as Nutella and laugh when i do

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Windows Phone now has 0 advantages over its competitors, I'm not complaining though

Like you're buying a Windows Phone for Cortana alone... It's not like if it was miles away from Siri or Google Now. They're pretty much the same. 

Wonder what Cortana will be able to do on another platform with the restrictions and all.

Windows Phone now has 0 advantages over its competitors, I'm not complaining though

Actually from what I've heard, it seems to be faster and more stable than Android or iOS.

Every topic I post in dies.

Actually from what I've heard, it seems to be faster and more stable than Android or iOS.

Yea. Also they might have a better ecosystem one Windows 10 comes out.

Yea. Also they might have a better ecosystem one Windows 10 comes out.

Agreed. I'm actually quite excited to see how the universal apps will wind up.

Every topic I post in dies.

Gotta give it to him, Nadella is determined to go balls deep with his "Let's just become Google" strategy

I'd rather MS bring their products everywhere as opposed to Google who throws a bitch fit if someone doesn't follow their rules to a T. 

that image is forever in my head

also not going to lie.. I always read is name as Nutella and laugh when i do

Damn it, now that is all I'm going to see. What have you done

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Google Now!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This will be great with Windows 10 - no need for a Windows Phone to use all the Cortana perks  :).

I'd rather MS bring their products everywhere as opposed to Google who throws a bitch fit if someone doesn't follow their rules to a T. 

MS would do the same if left alone, in fact has in other areas. The win-win is that both should be keeping each other honest from now on

-------

Current Rig

-------

You know what words come to my mind when I think of Cortana? Annoying, slow, intrusive. I couldn't take 8 steps without that bitch popping up and slowing down my game. Fuck her! :P

Smart move on Microsoft's behalf. Reason for this is while being available across multiple platforms (which isn't possible with Google Now or Siri) will allow Cortana to reach a larger scope of users. The more people use it and give feedback the better Microsoft can make the personal assistant. It's a strategy to build the best personal assistant in any of the mobile operating systems. Plus Cortana is a big part of the Windows 10 operating system as a whole (even the desktop). So they have to deliver with the best personal assistant possible as they have a lot riding on its capabilities.

Windows phone is bloody fast, a lot smoother than iOS and leagues ahead of android on comparable hardware. My HTC 8S runs multitudes smoother than any android device with similar specs and it's 2 years old with the unoptimised developers preview on it. Windows phone at the moment is the OS to have on low end hardware, and once windows 10 comes out it's likely to have the app support and added platform unification to really take on Apple and Google.

On topic, this is good news for those on other mobile OS' as it gives them what in my view from using all three is the most complete personal assistant, however not having live tiles on iOS will be a significant issue IMHO, but an android widget should help on that front.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Windows phone is bloody fast, a lot smoother than iOS and leagues ahead of android on comparable hardware. My HTC 8S runs multitudes smoother than any android device with similar specs and it's 2 years old with the unoptimised developers preview on it. Windows phone at the moment is the OS to have on low end hardware, and once windows 10 comes out it's likely to have the app support and added platform unification to really take on Apple and Google.

On topic, this is good news for those on other mobile OS' as it gives them what in my view from using all three is the most complete personal assistant, however not having live tiles on iOS will be a significant issue IMHO, but an android widget should help on that front.

Yes, I know. I love my Lumia Icon

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Microsoft: We're basically just Google with a shitty search Engine.

Google: We're basically what Microsoft was over the last 10 years.

Apple: Fuck your wallet. Shit works, use it.

Why though? Google Now seems like it will, for the forseeable future, be far ahead of Siri and Cortana.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Why though? Google Now seems like it will, for the forseeable future, be far ahead of Siri and Cortana.

I'd be interesting to see what they present to the table.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Sweet, I finally get to have an intelligent piece of AI for my Android experience. Google Now is pretty nice, but Siri is far better for what it does in my opinion. Hopefully Cortana brings something interesting to the table.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

finally good bye siri 

hey cortana

just saying siri doest recognize my voice i tried it a lot 

in android mhaaa

google now still the best

Hmm i will try it out.. but running a nexus 6 makes everything about google now