Decision making...

Dear linustechtips forum,

I am looking to upgrade my pc a little. I would like a new GPU along with a new CPU. I would like to run low end games in 4K, but am not sure what the cheapest possible GPU would be. I posted a topic yesterday as well, and have a new question.

Would it be a waste of money to purchase an eVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified these days? Keep in mind I would like to be able to play games such as LoL and CS:GO in 4K @ 60 Hz. I am not looking to max graphics in any way. Should I opt for a 970 instead? There are currently at the same price where I am from.

Furthermore I would like to ask if it is worth it to buy a 4790k over a 4690k for gaming.

I´m not sure for the 780 but the 970 is made (I think) for 1080p and 1440p. The 290 is currently cheap and (I think) is good at higher resolutions so maybe take a look at that.

And for the cpu- no, the 4690k is enough for gaming

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

GTX 780 is fine on those games running on 4K. Have a look at the R9 290X as well cuz that's a good choice as well. 

For CPU 4690k with OC is good enough :)

Evidence Of Evil

I would get a 970 out of the two, but both are overkill for really easy to run games like LoL/CS:GO. If you only play those games just go with something like a R9 280.

No it's not worth to buy a 4790k over a 4690k for gaming imo unless your budget is pretty high and/or you don't mind not getting a very good value. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Alright, thank you. Would it make sense to go ahead and buy a 290 even though it is getting old? Would it do me good to get more VRAM for high resolutions? I am considering this: Sapphire TRI-X R9 290X 8GB. 

Alright, thank you. Would it make sense to go ahead and buy a 290 even though it is getting old? Would it do me good to get more VRAM for high resolutions? I am considering this: Sapphire TRI-X R9 290X 8GB. 

No need to get more VRAM. You won't regret buying the 290X.

Evidence Of Evil

Awesome man, thank you! One last question now; would it be alright to buy the 290 over the 290X? I remember watching linus' review and he said that the 290 actually did better than the 290X did overall. OC'ed that is

Awesome man, thank you! One last question now; would it be alright to buy the 290 over the 290X? I remember watching linus' review and he said that the 290 actually did better than the 290X did overall. OC'ed that is

If you can get the 290 for 10% less than the 290x, then yes because that's about what the performance difference is.

RIP in pepperonis m8s