PS3 controller worth it?

nekomata

My friend is offering me a brand new PS3 controller for <$15 <approx>. Is it worth getting? How does it fare compared to Logitech's solution or others?

Less than 15$? Damn, I have a hard time finding any original ones second handed for less than 30€, and non-originals having a little questionable quality...

If you plan on using it, I'd say it's worth getting (at least for the price you're paying). I dunno much about other controllers, though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

200% worth it. Works great as a PC controller option, probably the best one if you prefer it over the 360/xbone controller.

200% worth it. Works great as a PC controller option, probably the best one if you prefer it over the 360/xbone controller.

btw can PS3 controller be plugged into PC without any adapters, unlike older PS controllers (dualshock 2 and older)? I have thought about getting one to use on my PC, even though it has been over 6 years since I last time used a dualshock controller (on PS2), but I used to play on Xbox 360 for a little over year some years ago, and thus I would be more accustomed to that controller, but I feel like a change of pace. So how would PS3 controller fare over Xbox 360 / Xbox One controller?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

btw can PS3 controller be plugged into PC without any adapters, unlike older PS controllers (dualshock 2 and older)? I have thought about getting one to use on my PC, even though it has been over 6 years since I last time used a dualshock controller (on PS2), but I used to play on Xbox 360 for a little over year some years ago, and thus I would be more accustomed to that controller, but I feel like a change of pace. So how would PS3 controller fare over Xbox 360 / Xbox One controller?

Yes it can, but the software is pretty janky (you basically have to trick your computer into thinking it's a 360/xbone controller). I'd recommend a PS4 controller instead if you are buying it specifically for PC gaming. The software should be a bit more forgiving and the controller is nicer in general IMO.

Yes it can, but the software is pretty janky (you basically have to trick your computer into thinking it's a 360/xbone controller). I'd recommend a PS4 controller instead if you are buying it specifically for PC gaming. The software should be a bit more forgiving and the controller is nicer in general IMO.

Ah... Bit of a shame, but if PS4 controller should work with less problems, then I might look into that. But if I can't find any affordable ones, then might trick around with the PS3 controller (I'm aware of the issues with it, like fingers easily slipping from the triggers, analog sticks being maybe a little too close to each other etc.).

I did like the Xbox 360 controller when I was still a console gamer (though the D-pad was a pain in the ass to use), but I just feel like giving Dualshock a second chance.

My friend is offering me a brand new PS3 controller for <$15 <approx>. Is it worth getting? How does it fare compared to Logitech's solution or others?

Just get it ^~^ its a good deal...better than 30$...to use the PS3 controller for the PC use the SCP PS3

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I love it, and honestly prefer it over the 360 controller. As long as you can deal with its size, it's great.

I use one myself and i really like it. i use it for action games or when i play with my laptop. i use bluetooth for my laptop since it doesn't use it.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Yes, it's a bargain but I'm not sure if I can recommend using a PS3 Controller with a PC... I used motionjoy as well and tried to play several games with a wired controller and using a bluetooth adapter for wireless. There were some games that didn't work with the PS3 controller. Out of the top of my head it were Sonic Allstar Racing, Fouls Play and the Cave.

Just bare in mind that some games mind not work. If you buy the controller specifically for one particular game, I'd google first to be sure that some people say it actually works with motionjoy.

MSI X99S SLI PLUS  // Intel Core i7-5960X Processor (8 x 3.0 GHz) // Corsair Hydro Series H80i Cooling // 32 GB DDR4 High End Crucial 2133 MHz RAM

2 x 4096 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 //2 x 500 GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD // 4000 GB SATA III, 7200upm // 1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SS //Creative Sound Blaster Z

Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower (ATX)

Definitely worth it, especially if you can pick up an Asus bluetooth dongle and set up SCP. Definitely prefer it over the XBOX solution.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

If you play alot of emulators yes, due to the dpad. if not id say no since I prefer the 360 feel..dont prefer the build quality...if you are known to abuse controls ps3 one is good. It also wont be as dependable in game as an xb360 con. some indie games/bad ports will throw a hissyfit over it. for example there are a few games that I cant get a razer sabertooth working on. mind you the sabertooth will work on a 360, but every now and again particular games are just like what the fuck is this shit. Same thing happens with my ds4 when its emulating an xb360 con every now and again a game will just refuse to work with it even though games see it as an xb360 controller

its rare but it happens.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Yes it's worth it, there are a lot of games which will feel better once you play them with a controller, good example is Batman Arkham games.

I use PS4 cotroller it works great just an upgraded PS3 controller (which I liked as well)

Get a bluetooth dongle they are 15$ to get wireless

AMD 1800X Water Cool H80i 48GB Ram 980ti EVGA ACX2.0 M.2 (Samsung 950Pro) 1TB Samsung 850 OS:MSX

Nothing wrong with the DS3. Used it for years on my PC and never had a problem besides driver issues. I'd recommend the DS4 if you could spare the cash though. Really a step up from the DS3.

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Get it, it's very, very worth it. Much prefer it to X360 controller for driving games (the triggers felt like pedals instead of gun triggers).

Anyway, first post!

MAIN PC
AMD Athlon X4 760K 4.2 GHz// 4GB DDR3-1600 // AMD Radeon HD 6770 // 500 GB Seagate HDD
BACKUP PC
AMD Athlon X2 5000 2.2 GHz
// 2GB DDR2-800 // AMD Radeon HD 5770PHONE
iPhone 4s 16GB
CONSOLES
PlayStation, PlayStation 2 Slim, PlayStation 3 SuperSlim
250GB