Do I Need A Cooler?

pugnaq
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

So I don't have to buy a cooler apart? I could buy it but i don't think it fits my current budget. Maybe one but cheap for now

no, the 4690k has a stock cooler which is enough for it

if you want to overclock it, you will need to buy a better cooler

but the stock cooler is enough for now

I am building a new PC and here's what I have: 

- MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5 

- Intel Core i5-4690K 

- Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB)

- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Cards

Do I need a PC Cooler? Or I can buy it later?

the 4690k comes with a stock cooler

you cannot use a computer without a CPU cooler

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if you want your system to run quieter, cooler, and want to be able to overclock, then yes.

If none of those appeal to you, or you dont have the money to get a $20 cooler, then don't bother. The stock cooler is fine, just a bit loud and hot.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

the 4690k comes with a stock cooler

you cannot use a computer without a CPU cooler

Also the graphic card right?

if you want your system to run quieter, cooler, and want to be able to overclock, then yes.

If none of those appeal to you, or you dont have the money to get a $20 cooler, then don't bother. The stock cooler is fine, just a bit loud and hot.

Oh I can get a PC Cooler but I thought I had to buy one like this one:

"Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler" = 79.83$

Also the graphic card right?

the GPU already has a cooler on it, you dont need to worry about that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the GPU already has a cooler on it, you dont need to worry about that

So I don't have to buy a cooler apart? I could buy it but i don't think it fits my current budget. Maybe one but cheap for now

You cannot use a computer without a CPU cooler.

Unless you wanna live on the edge. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

"Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler" = 79.83$

I have the D14 and I would recommend it. It out performs many AIO liquid coolers and it's quieter. The mounting system is also amazingly simple.

Unless you wanna live on the edge. ;)

Can you recommend me one not too expensive that can stick with me for few months till I get more dollars?

I have the D14 and I would recommend it. It out performs many AIO liquid coolers and it's quieter. The mounting system is also amazingly simple.

It doesn't fit my budget sadly :'(

no, the 4690k has a stock cooler which is enough for it

if you want to overclock it, you will need to buy a better cooler

but the stock cooler is enough for now

Spoiler

You paid the extra for an overclockable CPU. 

If you don't overclock it, you've literally wasted your money. As said, the stock Intel cooler is fine IF YOU DON'T OVERCLOCK, and unless you live in somewhere like me in australia where we have room temperatures consistently upwards of 35 degrees during the summer.

If you do overclock, then you will need a new cpu cooler guaranteed.

Considering you bought an overclockable cpu, i'd say yes - yes you do need to buy an aftermarket cooler. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

On a topic about coolers, I love how this is the first time that no one has mentioned the hyper 212 evo

On a topic about coolers, I love how this is the first time that no one has mentioned the hyper 212 evo

Its because there wasn't budget mentioned. And it wasn't question about which cooler to buy more than whether cooler is needed to buy or not.

@pugnaq, every active cooled, gaming grade GPU comes with cooler. You can verify that your does too by looking at pics. If it has fans, it has cooler. Some lower grade GPUs are passive cooled and come with just heatspreaders but you could still say that they come with cooler.

As for CPUs, if you would buy them as TRAY packed, you'd need to buy cooler. TRAY packed are like bulk packed HDDs. Its just chip in tiny box. Thats how I've bought my last two CPUs since I would get aftermarket cooler anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You paid the extra for an overclockable CPU. 

If you don't overclock it, you've literally wasted your money. As said, the stock Intel cooler is fine IF YOU DON'T OVERCLOCK, and unless you live in somewhere like me in australia where we have room temperatures consistently upwards of 35 degrees during the summer.

If you do overclock, then you will need a new cpu cooler guaranteed.

Considering you bought an overclockable cpu, i'd say yes - yes you do need to buy an aftermarket cooler. 

Right now i'm not thinking about overclocking but maybe in the future when I learn more stuff. Let's say I stick to this setup I would be ok without a cooler for now?

Its because there wasn't budget mentioned. And it wasn't question about which cooler to buy more than whether cooler is needed to buy or not.

@pugnaq, every active cooled, gaming grade GPU comes with cooler. You can verify that your does too by looking at pics. If it has fans, it has cooler. Some lower grade GPUs are passive cooled and come with just heatspreaders but you could still say that they come with cooler.

As for CPUs, if you would buy them as TRAY packed, you'd need to buy cooler. TRAY packed are like bulk packed HDDs. Its just chip in tiny box. Thats how I've bought my last two CPUs since I would get aftermarket cooler anyway.

I didn't understand what you said at the end. Let's say I end up getting the Intel Core i5-4690K and I dont plan to overclock right now. I will be ok without a cooler and in the future maybe in november or so buy a cooler to overclock? (I have a small idea about what that is, but i want to learn thats why i want that processor so maybe i can overclock it later this year when i learn more things) (:

I didn't understand what you said at the end. Let's say I end up getting the Intel Core i5-4690K and I dont plan to overclock right now. I will be ok without a cooler and in the future maybe in november or so buy a cooler to overclock? (I have a small idea about what that is, but i want to learn thats why i want that processor so maybe i can overclock it later this year when i learn more things) (:

What I meant in the end is that you can buy CPU without cooler. They mark it with word TRAY in product name. Most CPUs are retail or BOX(ED). Which means that they come with cooler.

You can't run CPU without cooler. It will start and run for up to 30s before emergency shutdown. Doing this often will cause damage to CPU. So you don't need to buy cooler as one will most likely come with CPU package. I found only one TRAY packed CPU on Amazon search...

To give idea of my meaning, here's what I got:

th_IMG_2614.jpg th_IMG_2616.jpg

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What I meant in the end is that you can buy CPU without cooler. They mark it with word TRAY in product name. Most CPUs are retail or BOX(ED). Which means that they come with cooler.

You can't run CPU without cooler. It will start and run for up to 30s before emergency shutdown. Doing this often will cause damage to CPU. So you don't need to buy cooler as one will most likely come with CPU package. I found only one TRAY packed CPU on Amazon search...

any idea what is better in terms of the silicon lottery ? tray or box ?

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

any idea what is better in terms of the silicon lottery ? tray or box ?

I don't think the two have anything more difference than that one comes with $20 cooler and one doesn't. My previous tray packed cpu was average on OC side and so far this looks to be same thing. I haven't done really extensive OC yet though.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

To give idea of my meaning, here's what I got:

th_IMG_2614.jpg th_IMG_2616.jpg

Oh ok ok now I understand you mean I would need a cooler if I bought a CPU like that one just the card or that thing. Well im buying from Amazon the 4690k wich comes with the stock cooler (: Thanks!