Looking to upgrade my GPU

Astran42

I have been looking at some many video cards and I can' t seem to decide.

What would be my best upgrade for under 500$? Looking for as much help as I can get. Thank you :)

Also already ordered a 850w PSU

Current Setup

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T six-core processor

8GB DDR3

H-RS880-uATX motherboard

1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770

For a $500 upgrade, assuming you have the basics -> peripherals, case, power supply (which you said you have), hard drive(s), etc.

I'd upgrade your CPU, motherboard, RAM, and video card.

A $500 dollar budget for just those 4 parts will get your a pretty beefy mid-range gaming computer, if that's what you are aiming for.

EDIT: If you choose to stay AMD, you can skip the RAM, because it will be the same platform.

If you live near a Microcenter, you can get great deals on Intel CPUs and motherboards. Things such as $140 i5-2500k.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html has a good chart on price/performance for video cards.

Prices may vary from place to place depending on where you live, but I'd budget accordingly.

$150-200 GPU

$150-200 CPU

$30 - 50 RAM

$80 Motherboard

Nice! thank you for the link. I was looking for something like that.

I was also thinking of your suggestion of upgrading my whole setup. Would it be better to build it myself or just buying a prebuild ?

Better to build it yourself.

Good Morning...

Your current setup is decent. I would recommend you to grab a gtx 670 / 7970

Your current setup is decent. I would recommend you to grab a gtx 670 / 7970

+1

As mentioned above, get a GTX670 or 7970.

AMD is releasing the 8xxx series in a month or two, so new cards will be out which will be faster than the current generation BUT also more expensive.

i wouldnt say you need to redo all your pc 8GB of ram is more then you need for gaming you wont use more then that i would only upgrade ram if its not 1600 but i would say a new motherboard you are getting a 850 PSU witch is more then you will need with one card with you wanting to spend 500 you could get a new board and then get like a 670

Just grab a 670 or a 7970, save the rest of your money. Your pc is still decent.

Just go with a 670 or 7970 like these guys are saying. That system is still fine.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Get a good non reference-design HD 7970 for about 400-430$ ( Sapphire Dual-X, XFX double D, Gigabyte windforce, HIS IceQ & MSI Power Edition or an Asus Matrix if you don't mind the hefty price-tag ), overclock it and you'll have pretty much the fastest GPU money can buy "right now".

You can choose to wait for about 2 months until the next gen from AMD is released (8000 series "sea Islands").

It'll be quite a bit faster + AMD has announced that it's planning new game bundles for it's HD 8000 release .

The never settle bundle (Far Cry 3 + Sleeping Dogs + Hitman Absolution + 20% off Medal of Honor Warfighter) is still on-going , a 7970/7950 is the way to go if you're looking to grab any of those games.

Lastly, avoid the gigabyte 7970 if you intend to overvolt the GPU because it's voltage locked, otherwise it's a great card.

Now if you want PhysX or Cuda go for a GTX 680, any-non reference design should be fine, depending on the retailer most GTX 680s come with Assassin's Creed 3 .

In terms of performance a GTX 680 is comparable to an overclocked HD 7970 (1000mhz on the core to be exact) HD 7970 Ghz edition cards are a bit faster (1050mh on the core).

Also it's worth noting that all 600 series cards from nVidia are voltage capped , so you won't be able to overclock as much as the 500 series or current AMD cards.

perfrel_1920.gif

I hope this helps

GTX 670 if your budget is under $500 If not then the 660ti would be the best bang for the buck

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I have to agree with everyone, either a GTX 670/660ti or an AMD 7970.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

get 2 660ti FTW edition worth the money on your GPU upgrade or wait for the new gen. GPU

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since.