Im about to pull out my hair, someone help me please!

aidenrelkoff

first off?

CAN I DUAL BOOT WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 8.1?

I dont see why not! I did it before on a laptop on an HDD. But on this particular computer windows 8.1 WILL NOT INSTALL UNLESS THE DRIVE IS GPT PARTION STYLE.

But wait! I did this then tried to re install windows 7*! when i did this it said "Windows cannot be installed to this disk, the selected disk is of the gpt partion style.

So i need the windows 8 partion to be GPT and the windows 7 side to be MBR (master boot record). You cannot do this all on one drive.

how do i fix this problem?

**Note**

the drive is a SanDisk 240gb SSD

*you have to install the lower operating system first, so in this case, windows 7 first then i would re-install windows 8.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

You can't split the drive into two partitions? One GPT one MBR?

Or get a second drive ;)

I don't see why you can't install 8.1, lower the size of the partition, make a new one, and install 7 on that new partition.

I've done it, just with 7 and XP. (Problem with those two is that unless you install XP first you need to fix the MBR because XP doesn't recognize 7.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

You can't split the drive into two partitions? One GPT one MBR?

Or get a second drive ;)

no the entire drive has to be one or the other.

having an OS one one drive and the other OS on the other drive wont work. What ever drive is in the lower SATA port like "0" compared to port "1" it will boot off of that every single time

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I don't see why you can't install 8.1, lower the size of the partition, make a new one, and install 7 on that new partition.

I've done it, just with 7 and XP. (Problem with those two is that unless you install XP first you need to fix the MBR because XP doesn't recognize 7.)

its not the problem of what to install first. its that windows 7 wont work on GPT, and windows 8 wont work on MBR.

its not the problem of what to install first. its that windows 7 wont work on GPT, and windows 8 wont work on MBR.

Why are you trying to do this anyway? I don't see why you wouldn't just use 8.1 or 7 and maybe use the other one in a VM if you really wanted to use it..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Why are you trying to do this anyway? I don't see why you wouldn't just use 8.1 or 7 and maybe use the other one in a VM if you really wanted to use it..

its for a customer not me. ill consider a VM though

no the entire drive has to be one or the other.

having an OS one one drive and the other OS on the other drive wont work. What ever drive is in the lower SATA port like "0" compared to port "1" it will boot off of that every single time

For the first part; As you must have realized by now, a  fresh format to GPT is your first option, It helps with boot times on UEFI, but the only other use I know of is that it supports larger capacity HDDs. But the solution @cep0_ found seems great!

For having the OS on two drives, I currently have two machines with that setup and I always get the choice to boot from one or the other, so I find that strange that it's defaulting to a single port. But, I've only done two Win 7's and one with XP/7. I change the names of each OS with a bcdedit command to tell them apart at boot.

Im not sure what you need here, 

either don't boot in uefi mode, 

or follow these steps:

1. Open command prompt from your windows installation media

2. type 'diskpart' and hit enter

3. type 'list disk' and hit enter

4. Then note the number next to the drive you want to install windows on

5. type 'select disk [number you noted in step 4]' and hit enter

6. type 'convert mbr' or 'convert gpt' depending on what you want and hit enter

7. If you get an error in step 6, type 'clean' one or two times and retry step 6

You drive should now be the desired type.

Edit: Both OS's should work with the MBR type, go into your BIOS and try and make it so you don't boot into UEFI, then both discs will ask for an MBR type.

Well, you can't install winodws 8.1 to a MBR drive but you can install windows 7 to a GPT drive if you boot into EFI mode with the installation media.

This explains it better than I can: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749064%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |