learning c++

sauer119

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Download Visual Studio, think of a goal and start coding searching up anything you don't know how to do. That's how I started C#.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Then I wouldn't learn C++ unless there is a specific project you want to do in the language.

what is the best language to program desktop programs on. and i dont care about experience level at this point

what is the best language to program desktop programs on. and i dont care about experience level at this point

Start with C# if you are looking to make desktop GUI programs.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

no im just starting

Then learn how to program first. CS50x on edx.org and 6.00 on ocw.mit.edu are great places to start. Trying to learn C++ first is a bad place to start. It's an extremely complicated language that obscures the big picture when you're first learning how to program. It's a hell of a powerful language once you're a decent programmer.

You can't learn how to program without doing a lot of programming, which is why I recommend you take the free online courses I suggested above if you can't take a real course. That way you have projects to work on and struggle through, as it's not easy: it takes years and there's no shortcut.

There are a lot of caveats with C++. It's very easy to create a program that technically "works" yet has bugs, problems and errors. C++ doesn't hold your hand like other languages do and therefore it's a lot easier to mess up without realizing it. Learn C++ the right way and pick up C++ Primer on Amazon.