Apple Watch Event - Live Coverage (Watch + Retina Air + Retina Macbook + HBO Now + ResearchKit) UPDATED

Freaking two ports on the Macbook?

TWO?  As in 2?  A couple?  Numero dos?  And one is a headphone jack?

You mean I have to lug around one of these with my sexy slim laptop?

I just think that's a poor user experience.  Kind of ruins the whole thin, light, convenient, stylish idea.  USB-C looks great and all, but would it have killed them to add in some I/O?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Apple is rumored to begin selling overpriced USB-C adapters.

(I'm starting the rumor.)

You do realize Apple sells notebooks other than the new MacBook? Some suited specifically for power users like you? You have not forced to get a slim sexy laptop if it doesn't suit you.

oh really? again, you have no clue

this is a Mac with OS X, so we should talk about how it performs under OS X.

There is no "power saving" mode in OS X and it still is much better in terms of power management then windows.

Windows powered systems which are lighter, smaller, have less battery, more powerful specs, with a more power hungry CPU has the same or more battery life, says otherwise.

Windows powered systems which are lighter, smaller, have less battery, more powerful specs, with a more power hungry CPU has the same or more battery life, says otherwise.

to bad this is only true in your narrow minded brain.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

to bad this is only true in your narrow minded brain.

Riiiight...

If you have a look, you can see that I am right. If you want an example, well, you don't even need to turn your head much: Surface Pro 3. But it is not the only system.

To me, I think you just can't accept that Apple didn't make this marvelous product, that will be seen as such as everyone, much like the early days of iPhone.

Every company screws up. Live with it. Is it going to sale a lot? For sure. Are the users will enjoy it? Not so much.

Riiiight...

If you have a look, you can see that I am right. If you want an example, well, you don't even need to turn your head much: Surface Pro 3. But it is not the only system.

SU - Surface Pro with TypeCover

MB - new MacBook

- ligther ?

SU 2.4 lbs

MB 2.03

nope

- smaller ?

SU 11.5” x 7.93” x 0.55”

MB 11.04" x 7.74" x 0.52"

nope

- have less battery ?

SU 42.2Wh

MB 39.7Wh

nope

- more powerful specs?

SU i3/i5/i7

MB Core M

yes - but honestly who cares in such a small laptop?

- has the same or more battery life?

oh I highly doubt that the surface pro has higher battery life, but I guess we will have to see when the MB is available.

the macbook air and 13" pro use broadwell also ...

there are no quad core broadwells out yet -> 15" model hasn't been updated.

that pissed me off a lot, changing to a dual core broadwell on the 13" feels like a downgrade

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

that pissed me off a lot, changing to a dual core broadwell on the 13" feels like a downgrade

the 13" MBP always had dual cores.

13" always ran dual cores. 15" and above are the only ones that get quad core i5/i7 goodness. 

the 13" MBP always had dual cores.

13" always ran dual cores. 15" and above are the only ones that get quad core i5/i7 goodness. 

shit, i always though the haswell 13" was quad, my bad

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This new laptop is so stupid I wanna bash it over their fucking heads, but it would probably shatter, bend and not cause any damage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

After doing some research, you are correct. My apologies. It appears the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are being upgraded with newer technologies as well.

http://www.apple.com/mac/

Appreciate it :)

In other things, the Samsung counter part of this, the ativ book 9 or something....basically the series 9 2015 comes in at around the sane price, more even for the same specs....its also thinner lol....I guess this market is all about portability and convenience .... Cuz you can surely get much more powerful notebooks for the price....I see the point though...I have a pretty powerful computer for home use but being a college student I could use one of these to just help with basic tasks like internet browsing, word, presentations, etc..

Mjolnir
CPU: i7 4960X GPU: ASUS STRIX 970 CASE: Xigmatek Aquila MEM: 16GB 1866Mhz Kingston Fury Red Cool: Corsair H100i SSD: 2X intel S3700 400GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT  Mouse: R.A.T 7  Keyboard: Corsair K70  Love: Rachel 

SU - Surface Pro with TypeCover

MB - new MacBook

- ligther ?

SU 2.4 lbs

MB 2.03

nope

- smaller ?

SU 11.5” x 7.93” x 0.55”

MB 11.04" x 7.74" x 0.52"

nope

- have less battery ?

SU 42.2Wh

MB 39.7Wh

nope

- more powerful specs?

SU i3/i5/i7

MB Core M

yes - but honestly who cares in such a small laptop?

- has the same or more battery life?

oh I highly doubt that the surface pro has higher battery life, but I guess we will have to see when the MB is available.

Wh does not dictate physical size of battery.

Surface Pro 3 can be 800g, which is lighter than the new Macbook, if lightness is needed.

Reviews confirms battery life of Surface Pro 3. If you want to streach it, you can get 12h, but being realistic solid 9h of web surfing.

I stand corrected on the size. The Surface Pro 3 needs black borders to hold it to not interact with the touch screen. But still.

Most expensive Core M is 281$ (assuming no large scale mass purchase deal). The design of the system is recycled from years from Apple, so the R&D cost in the design is already paid for

Core M is a single unit device (previously pictured), so there is a no R&D in hardware. Aluminum is current 0.80$ U.S per lb. Fast SSD on mSATA is not expensive anymore.

Nothing justifies the high price tag. Even if you include Apple tax to it, and being generous with the amount, it still overpriced.

So performance does mater when considering this price tag, and extremely limited I/Os. If the system was 600$-700$, then it would be a totally different story.

It's kinda like a super overpriced netbook. And if the device was genuinely thinner or has technological limitation such as lack of space that a full size USB port, or at least a charging port could be put on it, I would excuse it, the same way I excuse Surface Pro line for it's 1 USB port. There is no room for more.

Surface Pro 3 can be 800g, which is lighter than the new Macbook, if lightness is needed.

Reviews confirms battery life of Surface Pro 3. If you want to streach it, you can get 12h, but being realistic solid 9h of web surfing.

I stand corrected on the size. The Surface Pro 3 needs black borders to hold it to not interact with the touch screen. But still.

Most expensive Core M is 281$ (assuming no large scale mass purchase deal). The design of the system is recycled from years from Apple, so the R&D cost in the design is already paid of.

Core M is a single unit device (previously pictured), so there is a no R&D in hardware. Aluminum is current 0.80$ U.S per lb. Fast SSD on mSATA is not expensive anymore

Nothing justifies the high price tag. Even if you include Apple tax to it, and being generous with the amount, it still overpriced.

So performance does mater when considering this price tag, and extremely limited I/Os. If the system was 600$-700$, then it would be a totally different story.

The Macbook should've been ~900-1200 and replaced the Air entirely. It should've had one more Type C port. It should've been the "iPad Pro" that people thought it would be. Just a very powerful laptop for writing and what not, nothing intensive. 

At what it costs right now, its too much. Way too much. Just like the Air at launch. Too much, not enough oomph. I give it a revision before it comes into its own as a proper laptop for people. Right now, you're paying for a experimental piece of hardware that has no clear direction. 

Apple didn't knock this one out of the park. They hit a single, and barely made it to first base. 

So, in all seriousness, when do you think Apple will start to lose steam on the MAKE IT THINNER" train they're currently riding. Would seem they can't really go much thinner with their laptops, iPads or iMacs. I guess the focus will be on how thin they can make the iWatch as it matures.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

So, in all seriousness, when do you think Apple will start to lose steam on the MAKE IT THINNER" train they're currently riding. Would seem they can't really go much thinner with their laptops, iPads or iMacs. I guess the focus will be on how thin they can make the iWatch as it matures.

because the general consumer (aka not tech savvy aka the people that can call CPU to the entire computer) has always complained about the weight and size of laptops, most of them have the mentality of smaller, the better and the craze of shitty netbooks of the late xp/vista/early 7 era is proof that the idea of small pc can sold even if they have shitty specs that sucks even for web browsing, also the small and thinner idea has been an easy point to impress people that the product is awesome combine that with the good look apple products bring and easy to lure the not savvy into buying the product

Forget everything else you've heard about why you should get the iwatch, here are best reasons of why you should have it:

• 13-megapixel camera enables users to take crystal-clear pictures of wrist
  • Allows wearers to start and stop the flow of time
  • Discreet, but not so discreet that anyone would mistake it for a regular watch
  • Comes in a variety of colors and styles to express your personal submission to the planet’s dominant tech company
  • Adjustable ticking volume
  • All the convenience of a traditional watch that needs to be charged every 12 hours
  • Built-in thinkpiece regarding the increased connectivity yet simultaneous isolation of the millennial generation
  • Small size and intricate circuitry able to drive twice as many Chinese workers to suicide as iPhone
  • Makes it easier for muggers to see whether or not you’re carrying an expensive electronic device
  • Another screen to throw into your current rotation of things you look at

Rock On!

It does dictate the capacity.

also I proved that your blatant statement does not hold at all.

Yeah it can be 800g, but if we want a somewhat useable comparision, it is not.

bullshit. there are countless reviews who counter that.

Also you said it is BETTER. The Macbook does 9h while web surfing and that most likely will be the case in the real world as well.

yeah, you are STILL wrong

The design of the system is recycled from years from Apple, so the R&D cost in the design is already paid for

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I mean are you even serious? Everything is new.

the motherboard is, the battery is, the complete case design is, the keyboard is, the mousepad is. nothing is recycled.

Core M is a single unit device (previously pictured), so there is a no R&D in hardware.

omg, are you 12 and believe in ferrytails?

Aluminum is current 0.80$ U.S per lb.

yeah and the tooling is free ... omg ...

Fast SSD on mSATA is not expensive anymore.

those aren't mSATA SSDs, in Fact considering the size of the motherboard, apple most likely uses one of the highest density flash chips available right now.

because your industry knowledge helped you to make a perfect cost breakdown ...

and if Santa existed, then I would not even have to pay a cent for it ...

It's kinda like a super overpriced netbook.

it sure is. it probably only costs apple $200 to make ...

snip

I hope that you're not going to argue that the limited IO is acceptable too.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I hope that you're not going to argue that the limited IO is acceptable too.

Anyone with some sanity would say that the two ports aren't enough. 

This needed 2 USB C ports along with its headphone jack. At least that would've been sufficient. 

They probably realized, that most users of small and light notebooks, just don't really use the selection of ports anyway. Also USB-C is an industry wide standard. Apple is one of the first ones to use it in a laptop, but I would think, that we will soon see it in lots of other notebooks and then we will also see lots of cheaper adapters.

Fair enough.  I understand taking out Ethernet, an SD Card reader, an optical drive, and maybe even dedicated external display, but I still think we need more than one shared data/power port.  I'm all for USB-C, I'm just not all about dat adapter life.  See below

You do realize Apple sells notebooks other than the new MacBook? Some suited specifically for power users like you? You have not forced to get a slim sexy laptop if it doesn't suit you.

Using more than one usb/power port at a time makes me a power user?  Are you kidding?  And of course I'm not forced to spend over $1000 for a luxury machine, but if I do I expect more than one port because that's not a very luxurious experience.

It's not like I was going to buy this notebook anyways, I'm just saying -- if I were to purchase this notebook I would be pretty bummed.  The Apple experience is all about convenience and style, and bulky adapters lack both.  I feel like having just one port defeats the purpose of having the slim, light, sexy Macbook because it's no longer an all-in-one -- it's a slim, light, sexy Macbook with a big dangly thing hanging off of it (no innuendo intended).  I also have to carry the thing with me everywhere I take my Macbook, and when I have to lug my big dangly thing everywhere I go, it gets hard (ok that one was definitely intended).  Maybe I'm being overly picky, but I think the target audience for the Macbook would highly prefer internal I/O over external, even if it meant a slightly bigger laptop.  Actually, I think the target audience for the Macbook would agree with Apple even if they took away all the ports and made it in the shape of an apple.  I don't hate Apple or Apple users, and I use Apple products daily - I just think one port is a silly move, IMHO.  You may disagree and that's totally fine.

Anyone with some sanity would say that the two ports aren't enough. 

This needed 2 USB C ports along with its headphone jack. At least that would've been sufficient. 

HA!  The veteran says I'm not crazy!  The veteran says I'm not crazy! :D

Fair enough.  I understand taking out Ethernet, an SD Card reader, an optical drive, and maybe even dedicated external display, but I still think we need more than one shared data/power port.  I'm all for USB-C, I'm just not all about dat adapter life.  See below

It is really just me speaking about my use case. I have my desktop computer with lots of stuff plugged in and I have my Macbook Air.

I only really ever plug in the power adapter at home. When I am doing a presentation I use my miniDP to VGA or DVI adapters which are in my backpack all the time. I haven't plugged in a usb drive or mice in months/years because I just don't need them anymore. The apple trackpad is excellent for all the stuff I do on my notebook.

If you buy such a laptop as your only computer, then you most likely will need some kind of docking station/port replicator, which I am sure will be largely available for good money as soon as USB-C takes of. For USB-C to really take of though, there is a certain need of devices that only focus on USB-C. Therefore I think the new Macbook is a good step, though not a device for many (at least not yet).

(I have really fast usb flash drives that I just don't use anymore as I don't need them anymore)