G-Sync and multi-monitor connectivity

Samfisher

On the verge of getting the ROG Swift to be powered by my GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 (which has 3 DP ports).  Was wondering if multi-display will only work on the DP connectors if I got the ROG Swift or will I be able to connect my current monitor through DVI/HDMI/VGA etc or will I be limited to all DP only if I enable G-Sync on the ROG Swift?

I read somewhere that once G-Sync is on, it's only DP from there on out, so would like some confirmation from anyone who has read or tried with multiple different input/outputs in regards to the above issue :)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

G-Sync only works over DP right? So you want to use G-Sync on your ROG monitor while having a secondary monitor as well?

I should be studying.

G-Sync only works over DP right? So you want to use G-Sync on your ROG monitor while having a secondary monitor as well?

Correct, but just wondering if the 2nd monitor can be connected to a different output other than DP.  My understanding is G-Sync mode is GPU-wide and will only output on DP regardless of whether the 2nd monitor is G-Sync capable.

Correct, but just wondering if the 2nd monitor can be connected to a different output other than DP.  My understanding is G-Sync mode is GPU-wide and will only output on DP regardless of whether the 2nd monitor is G-Sync capable.

So what is the problem with connecting the second monitor via DP? Do you not have an adapter?

I should be studying.

So what is the problem with connecting the second monitor via DP? Do you not have an adapter?

Assuming the 2nd monitor does not have DP, or if the GPU has only 1 DP output, would either situation work where the 2nd monitor can actually output anything with G-Sync on in the main monitor?

Assuming the 2nd monitor does not have DP, or if the GPU has only 1 DP output, would either situation work where the 2nd monitor can actually output anything with G-Sync on in the main monitor?

Well there is one sure way to find out... when is your monitor arriving?

I should be studying.

Well there is one sure way to find out... when is your monitor arriving?

I would have to go out and get it :P  Also this is a 2 part question cos my GPU has 3 DP ports so I can just get a DP cable for my existing monitor (although stupidly difficulty to find where I'm from) and my friend who already has 2 monitors is deciding whether to get a ROG Swift as well but only has 1 DP output on his GTX 780

I would have to go out and get it :P  Also this is a 2 part question cos my GPU has 3 DP ports so I can just get a DP cable for my existing monitor (although stupidly difficulty to find where I'm from) and my friend who already has 2 monitors is deciding whether to get a ROG Swift as well but only has 1 DP output on his GTX 780

Hmm... well if you get  the monitor, it will come with a DP cable, and I would have your friend wait till you try it out before he buys his.

I should be studying.

Gsync doesn't force dp usage only. I've got both my benq gsync and acer monitors up and running at the same time using dp and dvi respectively.