Club 3D radeon r9 280x RoyalQueen 3GB overclocking

BrianH
Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,

Ok, I have tried it again with the power level set to +20%. I was able to get the GPU overclocked to 1170MHz/1600MHz. However when benchmarking these, the core voltage readout (GPU-Z) stayed around the same voltage, 1.050v - 1.150v. I was getting those same voltage reading before putting the power limit to +20%.

Use msi afterburner to read core voltage. For some reason gpu z doesn't read actual voltage.

I have a Club 3D radeon r9 280x RoyalQueen 3GB, which is water cooled. However I believe that I am having some issues with overclocking. I have MSI Afterburner installed and I have only been able to get the core clock to 1165Mhz and the memory clock to 1575Mhz, oh and the default clocks are 1050Mhz/1500Mhz . I have not been able to successfully change the voltage (and yes I have selected the Unlock voltage in the afterburner settings). When I try to change the voltage in afterburner, the slider bar stays at what I put it at, but non of the voltage readouts actually change and stability does not get better. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you set your power limit to the max?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I haven't put it to the max (+20%), but I did try +10% however it did not seem to change anything. when I had it at +10% and tried higher clocks (compared to what I was already able to get) it did not make any difference stability wise, still got crashes..

I haven't put it to the max (+20%), but I did try +10% however it did not seem to change anything. when I had it at +10% and tried higher clocks (compared to what I was already able to get) it did not make any difference stability wise, still got crashes..

Get it to +20% and try again

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Get it to +20% and try again

Ok, I have tried it again with the power level set to +20%. I was able to get the GPU overclocked to 1170MHz/1600MHz. However when benchmarking these, the core voltage readout (GPU-Z) stayed around the same voltage, 1.050v - 1.150v. I was getting those same voltage reading before putting the power limit to +20%.

Use msi afterburner to read core voltage. For some reason gpu z doesn't read actual voltage.

Well I have settled on the overclock at 1.2v 1200MHz/1600Mhz +20% power limit. I had to force constant voltage with MSI afterburner to get it to work properly.