should I return my 290x for a 980 reference for almost 300 more?

Jabberwookie
Go to solution Solved by zappian,

@Jabberwookie

The 980 is a waste of money and I cant advise you to waste your money.

Either get 970 SLI or 290x crossfire.

If you are hell bent in wasting your money and going 980 by all means.

Its your money to burn , I am just giving you a friendly warning.

Well

several people here had me realize I spent way to much for my AMD build and changed it into this with only a few extra bucks more

System

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
  • Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
  • GPU
    MSI Radeon R9 290X GAMING 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI E x16 3.0
  • Case
    Thermaltake Armor Reve Gene White Mid Tower
  • Storage
    2 x Intel 730 Series 480 SSD in raid0
  • PSU
    Thermaltake SP850w SMART
  • Display(s)
    Insignia™ - 46in Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver w/ 120 Coolermaster rad fans in push/pull for CPU, 2 (side and front intake) 200mm thermaltake 1 Black reg/1 Blue LED case fans, Corsair Air purple LED 140mm + 2 120mm AF (top and back)exhaust, Corsair air SP 120mm purple LED(bottom) intake
  • Keyboard
    Corsair k65 RGB w/ MX reds
  • Mouse
    Razer Deathadder 2013
  • Sound
    Sound Blaster 3Dpro (onboard) Brownamp
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 OEM sp1

And I saw a strange green box sitting at bestbuy when I was wandering around that made me wonder about my over a year old graphics card that I bought at only 300 2 weeks ago and I wondered if I should move some money around to get the 980 I saw

I know its newer then the 970 and 290x so obviously its better.. but my new CPU set up really opened the 290x up to where I dont see huge improvements in scores of single 980s, still definantly better, even the 970 is better in regards but some games I seen about 10 frame jump vs the 290x

is it THAT much better that would constitute paying almost 300 more for it? 

or should I just hold on to this and wait a while to see whats in store here in a year or two?

No.... not this week at least .  390 will be out soonish, I'd wait till then at least.

As much as I hate to say it, Keep the 290x.

*shudders* My soul has been tainted.

Lol all joking aside, a 290x is still a great card...yes the 980 is better, but not $300 better. If it was a choice between buying the two i'd say 980, but not if you already have a 290x.

Why not 290x crossfire ?

I go for single gpu only, mainly because my experience with duel cards in the not to distant past made me want to pull my hair out. because a game wil run fine with one gpu and then become a headache of crashing, profiling, shutting things on and off just to get stuff to run right

Lol all joking aside, a 290x is still a great card...yes the 980 is better, but not $300 better. If it was a choice between buying the two i'd say 980, but not if you already have a 290x.

lol, hurts doesn't it. As i current gen nvidea fanboy I have to recommend it as well. It's a great card. just not the best current.

No.... not this week at least .  390 will be out soonish, I'd wait till then at least.

wasn't the last word something like june?

is that still 'soonish'

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

only reason I asked was because I still can return the 290x,

but, I am the kind of guy to where, both cards run awesome when really working the cards at high res to where the 980 is just better at 10 to 15 frames dont sound like I am getting double the 290x performance, none the less better

but if 390 is coming out soon, that will probably mean 980 will drop, which will be great but I couldnt return my 290x at that point

so basically, I bought a good card, just enjoy it and wait for dx12 games and newer cards and such

wasn't the last word something like june?

is that still 'soonish'

Well yeah, how much do you want to spend for soonish? different people have different definitions of the word. If he wants to spend 300 bucks on 3 months of soonish good luck to him.

Don't. Wait for the 300 series from AMD.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

So in response to that, you intend to spend a few hundred more?

Wat.

if its worth it I would

but if I wait lets say next year and pay the same for a even newer card... then

no

so basically, I bought a good card, just enjoy it and wait for dx12 games and newer cards and such

Yep, my opinion at least.

Well yeah, how much do you want to spend for soonish? different people have different definitions of the word. If he wants to spend 300 bucks on 3 months of soonish good luck to him.

well thats basically what I figured, 300, then it drops for something better my 300 could pay for then it dont make sense I suppose

Why not 290x crossfire ?

Probably because he did not include liquid nitrogen in his build to keep PC from bursting into flames. LOL jk, couldn't resist.

Yep, my opinion at least.

well I am assuming it will take a good 2 years for that stuff to really be the standard, ill just wait till its the standard and buy a new one then, I agree with your opinion, I have just been wrong before hence, me sending back my 8350 for the more expensive 4790k, but that! was worth it totally

well thats basically what I figured, 300, then it drops for something better my 300 could pay for then it dont make sense I suppose

+My nividea fanboyish aside. the 290x is about as good a card as you can get at the moment. in certain games optimised for mantle it will outperform a 980....just. (okay nividea fanboy can't be switched off completely)

Mantle doesn't perform as well on high end cards. atm it's optimised for the lower cards, but with openGL I'm sure that'll change quicker than DX12.

Probably because he did not include liquid nitrogen in his build to keep PC from bursting into flames. LOL jk, couldn't resist.

yes exactly

notice how the 295x2 comes with watercooling standard, nonoptional

I go for single gpu only, mainly because my experience with duel cards in the not to distant past made me want to pull my hair out. because a game wil run fine with one gpu and then become a headache of crashing, profiling, shutting things on and off just to get stuff to run right

Some of us love it when things go wrong and we have to modify the game.

But it doesnt happen that oftan in newer titles.

If DirectX12 really will be able to Stack the Vram id Easely pick up another GTX 660, Right now i feel my bottleneck is the Vram, 2gb is maxed out in the games i play with the options i like to play with.

AMD will most likely resuse the chip entirely, The R9 290/x will be the R9 380/x.

And R9 290x2 would be more powerful than a single GTX 980 in games that support Crossfire And the games that dont support crossfire is usually not that heavy.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

+My nividea fanboyish aside. the 290x is about as good a card as you can get at the moment. in certain games optimised for mantle it will outperform a 980....just. (okay nividea fanboy can't be switched off completely)

Mantle doesn't perform as well on high end cards. atm it's optimised for the lower cards, but with openGL I'm sure that'll change quicker than DX12.

yes but they are canning Mantle

AMD has been pissing me off lately

They have dicountinued Mantle, They are putting their recources into a new, Better one called Vulcan.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

To the level of spending another $300? I say keep the 290X. It's still a very powerful card (in both ways) and is a great deal for $300 less than a 980.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

mantle isn't really being canned. It's being offered as open source. linux still works, why not open GL?

From the other side of the pond, I run inquisition on a single reference 980 with a custom fan curve without the fan switching on.... yes they run that cool. I still can't justify 300 bucks difference.

Some of us love it when things go wrong and we have to modify the game.

But it doesnt happen that oftan in newer titles.

If DirectX12 really will be able to Stack the Vram id Easely pick up another GTX 660, Right now i feel my bottleneck is the Vram, 2gb is maxed out in the games i play with the options i like to play with.

AMD will most likely resuse the chip entirely, The R9 290/x will be the R9 380/x.

And R9 290x2 would be more powerful than a single GTX 980 in games that support Crossfire And the games that dont support crossfire is usually not that heavy.

well the issue is when I go to put another r9 290x (or 380x) in, ill have to pay for another powersupply to handle the massive 500 watt tdp the cards alone can draw, plus side it will heat my room in the winter

@Jabberwookie

@Jabberwookie

well you answered my question :D