Chkdsk frozen

Go to solution Solved by zonahbear,

How long has it been there? chkdisk will take a while..

So recently I got a blue screen with error Kernel_data_inpage_error.  I looked this up and I ran chkdsk (exact command I used was chkdsk c: /f /r).  It was going well until I reached 12%.  Currently it appears to be stuck at 12% and has been for quite a while now.  However the loading wheel animation thing is still moving so the computer itself is still running.  Should I wait longer or should I do something?  I'm worried to stop it in case of damaged data and such.  What should I do?

FYI:  I have never had a bsod before, even with the addition of my new gpu.  If you need more info, please say so.

EDIT:  The session seems to have gone through albeit taking for-fucking-ever.  Thanks for your help, those who replied.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

How long has it been there? chkdisk will take a while..

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Try chkdsk /F it repair itself when he founds any errors and you don't need to specify the directory if it's your primary partition.

You can also check what's happen with BlueScreenView it offers many features like display again the BSOD or learn more about the error. ;)

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

Try chkdsk /F it repair itself when he founds any errors and you don't need to specify the directory if it's your primary partition.

You can also check what's happen with BlueScreenView it offers many features like display again the BSOD or learn more about the error. ;)

Okay, but to do that I would need to get back to the desktop.  How would I safely exit the chkdsk session?

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Okay, but to do that I would need to get back to the desktop.  How would I safely exit the chkdsk session?

Sorry very tired yesterday, Does it over or not??

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"