Amd mantle 1.0 is dead; long live directx

Quasiscrizzoto

It always bums me out a little when the underdogs get kicked in the nuts.  The market has spoken, I guess?

This was the likely outcome from the beginning. Nvidia was never going to get behind this, and without them, what future did it really have?

One of the most feasible hopes for Mantle was that it would shake up DirectX a bit, which is exactly what it did.

I am skeptical about the validity of this article.

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/02/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle

Quote from article: "The Mantle SDK also remains available to partners who register in this co-development and evaluation program. However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I rather have Vulkan than D3DX12.

My list is as follows: Vulkan>Mantle>D3D

I rather have AMD make me an API than Microsoft.

I rather have Vulkan than D3DX12.

My list is as follows: Vulkan>Mantle>D3D

I rather have AMD make me an API than Microsoft.

why wouldn't want them all to make their own then choose the best? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

why wouldn't want them all to make their own then choose the best? 

standards.png

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

standards.png

And the shit ones die from lack of use while the others compete and further develop.  Obviously not the case in all situations, but throwing your preference behind one for the sake of having only one can diminish broad development.  Consider if OpenGL died back when it sucked, or if mantle wasn't developed?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And the shit ones die from lack of use while the others compete and further develop.  Obviously not the case in all situations, but throwing your preference behind one for the sake of having only one can diminish broad development.  Consider if OpenGL died back when it sucked, or if mantle wasn't developed?

You'll have to look at the bigger picture. Everything is not that simple. If that was the case, both DX and OGL would have died years ago. ;)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

You'll have to look at the bigger picture. Everything is not that simple. If that was the case, both DX and OGL would have died years ago. ;)

how do you know I haven't?

Any sources?

Pcper interview with AMD rep last year. Microsoft engineers couldn't figure out how to get dx12 as efficient as mantle, so amd engineers spent a while last year helping Microsoft with dx12 code. No idea about their collaboration these days though.

And never intended to support mantle forever, but for it to be a stepping stone for developers and other APIs

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If this is true, then ah, well. Mantle did what it came to do.

If not, then long live Mantle.