Princeton Optronics’ Laser Ignition Could Boost Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency by 27%

laserignition.jpg

Anything that can extend the life of a ICE and allow it to be more efficient, is just fine by me. As much as I like electric cars and think they are a step forward for the industry, it'll still be a cold day in hell before I give up a piece of witchcraft that works on the property of "make lots of tiny explosions to make noises and turn a bunch of gears to make you go fast"

Since then, while the materials used and number and layout of electrodes have changed, the way the fuel/air mixture has been ignited, with a high voltage current jumping a gap between two electrodes, causing a spark, has not. While it has worked well enough for over 110 years, there are some drawbacks to spark ignition. One of the better known phenomena is the fact that due to the spark plug’s location on the periphery of the combustion chamber, not all of the fuel is combusted. The flame simply doesn’t spread fast enough to keep up with the movement of the piston. The result is less than ideal from power, efficiency and pollution standpoints.

In addition to being able to focus the laser so that it ignites the charge from the middle of the combustion chamber, laser ignition can be timed with greater precision than a conventional spark ignition. It can also cycle faster than the fastest electronically triggered spark plug, allowing for the possibility of multiple firings and those multiple ignitions can be focused at different parts of the combustion chamber to ensure complete burning. Princeton Optronics says that the running engine showed a 27% improvement in combustion efficiency. They also say that the use of laser ignition will allow for a leaner fuel/air ratio, which will reduce emissions.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/princeton-optronics-laser-ignition-boost-ices-efficiency-27/#more-1008890

-snip-

I'd love to get more than 11 MPG. I'm alright with it.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Still waiting for the small turbine electric hybrid cars (as seen in jaguar xj75).
if thats the best way to move 70 tons in an m1 abrams im pretty sure a tiny tiny version would be powerful enough to move a 1.25 ton car. solar panel on the roof to charge it while you're shopping, use a battery(with a large capacitor to enable quick-charge and act as a regulator) to power the wheels AND start the thing in the first place AND in the event of engine failure power you to the nearest garage.
the old problems that prevented jet-cars in the 50's are alleviated now.
reliability: we have the alloys to build them reliably, noise: small engines with a standard car length muffler shouldnt be too loud, exhaust temps: routing through a long exhaust with some bypass air from the intake would not only cool the exhaust but also improve emissions, no engine-braking: regenerative braking through the motors.

the reason why have transmissions in cars is because of the limited power band, turbines dont rev up-down happily and are at thier most efficient at a constant engine speed (like cruising at 35K feet), set the engine at a given speed (with an idle speed) and use a motor, 1 on the drive shaft OR 2 with 1 on each drive shaft (4wd) or one in each wheel, tire slipage is easy to monitor to traction control and ABS would be great.
if using a single motor on the main drive shaft a CTV transmissions could be used to make the motor smaller and increase mileage due to reduced power consumption.
turbines can burn diesel so finding a place to fill up isnt hard (unlike hyodrogen fuel cells or pure electric)

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

That's cool. Though I would be worried about warming these up in the winter on a very cold day. Diesel engines don't warm up completely until they have a load put on them and they convert about 50% of the combustion of fuel into usable power. If this technology increases gas engine efficiency to 57% (up from today's 30%), then it will be more of a hassle to warm up the engine in your vehicle.

That's pretty awesome, have to agree with OP that it'll be a cold day in hell before I give up ICE for those boring ass electric cars.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Can't believe people are jumping on the hype train based on that article :mellow: . I guess I understand now how politicians are able to convince people to vote for them :unsure:

And this would most likely not be used on diesels as they their ignition is caused by pressure, not sparks. And it states combustion efficency which isn't same as the thermodynamic efficency which is usually used to describe a combustion engines efficency.

The article is so vague and has so little information that I wouldn't get my hopes up for this to get into cars anytime soon. I find it as probable as valve confirming HL3 for next year next friday.

tcs1EOZ.gif

Another TTAC fail, That site is so bad with car info. Its almost as bad as car topics hitting this forum... They should just stop..

Still waiting for the small turbine electric hybrid cars (as seen in jaguar xj75).

if thats the best way to move 70 tons in an m1 abrams im pretty sure a tiny tiny version would be powerful enough to move a 1.25 ton car. solar panel on the roof to charge it while you're shopping, use a battery(with a large capacitor to enable quick-charge and act as a regulator) to power the wheels AND start the thing in the first place AND in the event of engine failure power you to the nearest garage.

the old problems that prevented jet-cars in the 50's are alleviated now.

reliability: we have the alloys to build them reliably, noise: small engines with a standard car length muffler shouldnt be too loud, exhaust temps: routing through a long exhaust with some bypass air from the intake would not only cool the exhaust but also improve emissions, no engine-braking: regenerative braking through the motors.

the reason why have transmissions in cars is because of the limited power band, turbines dont rev up-down happily and are at thier most efficient at a constant engine speed (like cruising at 35K feet), set the engine at a given speed (with an idle speed) and use a motor, 1 on the drive shaft OR 2 with 1 on each drive shaft (4wd) or one in each wheel, tire slipage is easy to monitor to traction control and ABS would be great.

if using a single motor on the main drive shaft a CTV transmissions could be used to make the motor smaller and increase mileage due to reduced power consumption.

turbines can burn diesel so finding a place to fill up isnt hard (unlike hyodrogen fuel cells or pure electric)

Actually the best way to move a Abrams is a V12 diesel engine, ask a Abrams tank operator how it's like driving a boat cause of the turbine engine.

Actually the best way to move a Abrams is a V12 diesel engine, ask a Abrams tank operator how it's like driving a boat cause of the turbine engine.

Mainly because the exhaust behind it can fry a person standing upright?

Knowing that, why don't they reroute the exhaust forward? or drive the tank in backwards? Far more effective than bullets.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Terve!

As I car-guy I am really interested in this thing. Although I cannot really think of it working as good as said.

If it was an upgrade of 27%, most manufacturers would have built it already. I mean: they are using PWM on the internal lights to save a few wats.

I guess there will still be a problem with the piston or the materials inside the cumbustion area. As far as I can see (do NOT quote me on that, its just something I thought about in this second) the laser is eighter going around for a while (reflection) and is randomly igniting the next cycle or it will be heating up an exact spot on the piston (which is more likely in my imagination, since the pistons are usually black from the soot.)

Anyway I am excitet.

Sayonara!

Terve!

As I car-guy I am really interested in this thing. Although I cannot really think of it working as good as said.

If it was an upgrade of 27%, most manufacturers would have built it already. I mean: they are using PWM on the internal lights to save a few wats.

I guess there will still be a problem with the piston or the materials inside the cumbustion area. As far as I can see (do NOT quote me on that, its just something I thought about in this second) the laser is eighter going around for a while (reflection) and is randomly igniting the next cycle or it will be heating up an exact spot on the piston (which is more likely in my imagination, since the pistons are usually black from the soot.)

Anyway I am excitet.

Sayonara!

Reliability testing. There's a difference between the theoretical application of a product and how it performs in the real world. The lasers have to work for hundreds of thousands of miles, OR be cheap like spark plugs already are. I doubt they have figured out either of those.

Coil-packs for modern ignition systems, for example, are prone to lasting over 200k miles at least before failing. But they cost about $200 each to replace. Whereas the spark plugs (copper ones, not iridum or platinum) last only 2.5-10k miles and cost anywhere from $5 to about $30 each. 

I doubt the lasers are going to be anything short of a thousand dollars, if maybe half that each to replace and I doubt they will last as long as would be financially viable. Also remember they have to test them in every condition imaginable. Humidity, temperatures etc. They have to ensure they will perform as good as, if not outperform conventional systems. It's the same reason the electric car hasn't taken off and why this may become a niche market product, for example - Racing engines.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Reliability testing. There's a difference between the theoretical application of a product and how it performs in the real world. The lasers have to work for hundreds of thousands of miles, OR be cheap like spark plugs already are. I doubt they have figured out either of those.

Coil-packs for modern ignition systems, for example, are prone to lasting over 200k miles at least before failing. But they cost about $200 each to replace. Whereas the spark plugs (copper ones, not iridum or platinum) last only 2.5-10k miles and cost anywhere from $5 to about $30 each. 

I doubt the lasers are going to be anything short of a thousand dollars, if maybe half that each to replace and I doubt they will last as long as would be financially viable. Also remember they have to test them in every condition imaginable. Humidity, temperatures etc. They have to ensure they will perform as good as, if not outperform conventional systems. It's the same reason the electric car hasn't taken off and why this may become a niche market product, for example - Racing engines.

Terve!

Well, from what I've seen from Volkswagen, I cannot say that they test everything properly.

They had engines dying after 20'000 Miles for about seven years, unable to solve to problem. But they were still selling them.

And yes the coils are lasting a long time. My aunt had a mazda, in which the ignition system lasted for about 220'000 miles.

In Switzerland iridium platinum sparks and fancy oil, lasting for 20'000 miles are almost normal. 

I learned that this is different in the US, but I have no details.

So from what I've seen VW doing, I really doubt that this will be financially viable.

Thanks for the input.

Sayonara!