8350 Overclocking help

try Aida 64 for stress testing.

how did you applied your thermal paste?

try Aida 64 for stress testing.

how did you applied your thermal paste?

My 30 day trial with Aida has ran out :(

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

i would keep trying, something must be wrong i bought my 8350 in october and hit 4.8 stable and my motherboard wasnt as good as yours.ibt will raise temps way higher than aida or occt. try occt.

on your IBT, do you have your stress level set to "standard" ? and "threads" set to all ?

i dont mean to sound like a retard, but do you have Windows power management set to "performance mode" ?

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

4.4Ghz is... very dissapointing. Might aswell leave it at stock and let it turbo boost upto 4.4 tbh

OK here's my guide (had a terrible headache earlier so couldnt summon the strength to post allot.)

I highly doubt its the limit of the chip (though i think i reached it with my 8120 but i digress)

this all assumes that you have epu turned off, coolnquiet is fine to leave on, turbo must be off and ram at rated clock speed.

monitoring

monitor voltage with cpu-z idle at desktop and then run cinebench and see how it v-droops, also use core temp to monitor temps, dont worry about idle temps its peaks you wanna keep an eye on.

try 1.35v in bios at a 21x multi for 4.2ghz

boot  into windows and see what it is idle, if its 1.375 or something just assume its 1.35 and cpu-z is overeading by 25mv (ive spent long enough tinkering with fx's just go with me)

starting tests

run cinebench and see if the voltage droops, if it drops to say 1.325(ish) then reboot/bios/loadline calibration and bump it from medium>high or high>very high.. reboot and test idle/cinebench load voltages again. adjust as needed.

assuming your voltages under load are pretty much what you set in bios run cinebench with core temp and see what your max temps are.

if your temps are above 70*c then you're obviously running too much voltage or you have a leaky chip.

what i do in those^ scenarios is start around a lower clock speed like 4ghz and see how low i can get the load voltage to be and how it effects temps

so maybe a 20x multi at 1.3v, boot/cpu-z/cinebench and see what teh actual load voltage is and again adjust voltage as nessesary, the higher the default voltage the more effect loadline has, so 1.3v on ultra loadline might be 1.35 under load, however 1.4v on the same ultra loadline might reach 1.475v under load so monitor it!

clocking up.

so you have a starting point where you have a voltage set, that stays at that point under load (give or take) and doesnt die before finishing cinebench AND is udner 70*c under load. (passes cinebench, well get into stress testing later)

now download AMD Overdrive, go to the section where you can adjust the multiplier and bump it up one to say 21.5 4.3ghz

run cinebench and see temps, if windows aero greys out or it crashes reboot but with that same 21.5 multi and just run cinebench again, if it still crashes or greys out you've hit a voltage limit and it needs to be raised, IF it passes cinebench fine with no issue then its possibly amd overdrive being picky and all multi bumps should be carried on in bios from here.

if raising the multi doesnt cause any issues and it still completes the test bump it again, keep bumping the multi until it greys out or crashed.

if it does crash tehn go into bios and try 1.375v, boot into windows, check idle voltage and then cinebench load voltage, adjust LLC as nessesary and monitor temps again.

if that still fails try 1.4v in bios, boot, idle voltage/cinebench voltage, you get the idea...

if that fails try 1.425 but you MUST check the load voltages, too much vrdroop can cause itt o fail, too much voltage gain due to LLC can cause extreme temps and vrm throttling, whenever you hear somone getting low benchmark scores despite high voltage and high clock speeds-throttling.

slowly slowly catchy monkey

by bumping the multi and only under a failure increasing the voltages WHILE checking vdroop under load AND temps you should be able to pass 4.5ghz

i'll reiterate my point that on big power hungry cpu's like fx8's and 2011 sockets going for every last mhz is usually a waste of time, power, silicon degradation plus cooling can become a problem.

I would set it to either 22.5 or 23 multi and try 1.4v (under load)

once you get it to pass cinebench at these speeds run prime 95 blend and watch temps, if it goes over 70*c thats not good and the voltage (and maybe overclock) will need to be dailed back, but lets see first.

let me know how you get on. and ill guide you once i know what you've done

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

What are your other BIOS settings (would help A LOT if you can share these info)?

CPU/NB Voltage?

CPU VDDA Voltage?

What is your CPU/NB Frequency set to?

What is your HT Link speed set to?

CPU Load Line Calibration?

CPU/NB Load Line Calibration?

CPU Voltage Over-Current Protection?

CPU/NB Voltage Over-Current Protection?

CPU PWM Phase Control?

You may have indeed got a piece of the silicon wafer where it can't overclock very far...but don't give up yet.

TIPS

1. As you increase your overclock, the CPU/NB voltage needs to be increased as well. Not JUST the Core Voltage.
  2. When you are stress testing, do you notice your Core Voltage dropping lower than what you have set in the BIOS? If so, you need to adjust your Load Line Calibration.
  3. Bumping the CPU-VDDA voltage up a little bit can help compensate for voltage drooping under load.
  4. As mentioned before, DISABLE APM (Application Power Management) Master Mode, and ENABLE HPC (High Performance Computing) Mode.
  5. DISABLE Cool'n'Quiet and C1E for the time being; you can re-enable them back afterwards if you wish.
  6. AM3+ FX chips typically can't run stable when the CPU/NB Frequency is much higher than 2700MHz or 2800MHz. Setting it to 2600MHz or dropping it down to 2400MHz won't have much performance impact.
  7. The HT Link Frequency should match the CPU/NB Frequency (or just a step below) for optimal performance.
  8. If your RAM may be causing your overclock to be unstable, bump the voltage up slightly (i.e. 1.5V --> 1.55V).
  9. Print-Screen (F12) to save a screenshot of the BIOS to a USB drive is VERY handy

I may be one of the luckier ones with a better overclocking FX-8350, as I'm able to do 4.8GHz with 1.4V (4.9GHz with ~1.45V though). I had increase the CPU/NB and tinker with the Load Line Calibration settings.

You ideally want to use the Load Line Calibration setting(s) where the voltage will stay as constant as possible to what you've set in the BIOS.

If you voltage droops down to low under load, then your overclock will fail -- not enough voltage to keep stable.

If your voltage is too high, then you'll be using more voltage than needed, as a result, excessive heat.

You may need to bring your voltage up to 1.45V ~ 1.48V for your particular chip, but...only testing will hail it down to the decimal point. Otherwise, here are my personal BIOS settings that I used for 4.8GHz. (mind you these screenshots are almost a year old, so they are not the most up-to-date, but they can be useful, nonetheless)

NOTES:

• You can leave SB and NB voltage at stock...I was fiddling with some of there things at the time, so I had those over-volted as well.
  • You typically shouldn't need 1.300V for the CPU/NB for 4.4GHz !~ 4.6GHz. I even ended up just using 1.25V for 4.8GHz / 4.9GHz.
  • Stock CPU-VDDA is 2.5V. I was using 2.6V, but ~2.55V is usually enough. 
  • Choose the Load Line Calibration settings that will make the voltage as stable as possible FOR YOUR PARTRICULAR CPU

E1cQ6wH.png

U3xqAfO.png

l5nV8DT.png

Zqd05f2.png

3Vqhz5E.png

3PYP2He.png

@Priller, you got anything else?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

OK here's my guide (had a terrible headache earlier so couldnt summon the strength to post allot.)

I highly doubt its the limit of the chip (though i think i reached it with my 8120 but i digress)

this all assumes that you have epu turned off, coolnquiet is fine to leave on, turbo must be off and ram at rated clock speed.monitoring

monitor voltage with cpu-z idle at desktop and then run cinebench and see how it v-droops, also use core temp to monitor temps, dont worry about idle temps its peaks you wanna keep an eye on.

boot  into windows and see what it is idle, if its 1.375 or something just assume its 1.35 and cpu-z is overeading by 25mv (ive spent long enough tinkering with fx's just go with me)starting tests

run cinebench and see if the voltage droops, if it drops to say 1.325(ish) then reboot/bios/loadline calibration and bump it from medium>high or high>very high.. reboot and test idle/cinebench load voltages again. adjust as needed.

assuming your voltages under load are pretty much what you set in bios run cinebench with core temp and see what your max temps are.

if your temps are above 70*c then you're obviously running too much voltage or you have a leaky chip.

what i do in those^ scenarios is start around a lower clock speed like 4ghz and see how low i can get the load voltage to be and how it effects temps

so maybe a 20x multi at 1.3v, boot/cpu-z/cinebench and see what teh actual load voltage is and again adjust voltage as nessesary, the higher the default voltage the more effect loadline has, so 1.3v on ultra loadline might be 1.35 under load, however 1.4v on the same ultra loadline might reach 1.475v under load so monitor it!clocking up.

so you have a starting point where you have a voltage set, that stays at that point under load (give or take) and doesnt die before finishing cinebench AND is udner 70*c under load. (passes cinebench, well get into stress testing later)

now download AMD Overdrive, go to the section where you can adjust the multiplier and bump it up one to say 21.5 4.3ghz

run cinebench and see temps, if windows aero greys out or it crashes reboot but with that same 21.5 multi and just run cinebench again, if it still crashes or greys out you've hit a voltage limit and it needs to be raised, IF it passes cinebench fine with no issue then its possibly amd overdrive being picky and all multi bumps should be carried on in bios from here.

if raising the multi doesnt cause any issues and it still completes the test bump it again, keep bumping the multi until it greys out or crashed.

if it does crash tehn go into bios and try 1.375v, boot into windows, check idle voltage and then cinebench load voltage, adjust LLC as nessesary and monitor temps again.

if that still fails try 1.4v in bios, boot, idle voltage/cinebench voltage, you get the idea...

if that fails try 1.425 but you MUST check the load voltages, too much vrdroop can cause itt o fail, too much voltage gain due to LLC can cause extreme temps and vrm throttling, whenever you hear somone getting low benchmark scores despite high voltage and high clock speeds-throttling.slowly slowly catchy monkey

by bumping the multi and only under a failure increasing the voltages WHILE checking vdroop under load AND temps you should be able to pass 4.5ghz

i'll reiterate my point that on big power hungry cpu's like fx8's and 2011 sockets going for every last mhz is usually a waste of time, power, silicon degradation plus cooling can become a problem.

once you get it to pass cinebench at these speeds run prime 95 blend and watch temps, if it goes over 70*c thats not good and the voltage (and maybe overclock) will need to be dailed back, but lets see first.

Wow... thats the longest reply ive ever had! Thanks for so much info :) will definitely follow this and get back to you, to see how successful i was!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

What are your other BIOS settings (would help A LOT if you can share these info)?

CPU/NB Voltage?

CPU VDDA Voltage?

What is your CPU/NB Frequency set to?

What is your HT Link speed set to?

CPU Load Line Calibration?

CPU/NB Load Line Calibration?

CPU Voltage Over-Current Protection?

CPU/NB Voltage Over-Current Protection?

CPU PWM Phase Control?

You may have indeed got a piece of the silicon wafer where it can't overclock very far...but don't give up yet.

TIPS

1. As you increase your overclock, the CPU/NB voltage needs to be increased as well. Not JUST the Core Voltage.
  2. When you are stress testing, do you notice your Core Voltage dropping lower than what you have set in the BIOS? If so, you need to adjust your Load Line Calibration.
  3. Bumping the CPU-VDDA voltage up a little bit can help compensate for voltage drooping under load.
  4. As mentioned before, DISABLE APM (Application Power Management) Master Mode, and ENABLE HPC (High Performance Computing) Mode.
  5. DISABLE Cool'n'Quiet and C1E for the time being; you can re-enable them back afterwards if you wish.
  6. AM3+ FX chips typically can't run stable when the CPU/NB Frequency is much higher than 2700MHz or 2800MHz. Setting it to 2600MHz or dropping it down to 2400MHz won't have much performance impact.
  7. The HT Link Frequency should match the CPU/NB Frequency (or just a step below) for optimal performance.
  8. If your RAM may be causing your overclock to be unstable, bump the voltage up slightly (i.e. 1.5V --> 1.55V).
  9. Print-Screen (F12) to save a screenshot of the BIOS to a USB drive is VERY handy

I may be one of the luckier ones with a better overclocking FX-8350, as I'm able to do 4.8GHz with 1.4V (4.9GHz with ~1.45V though). I had increase the CPU/NB and tinker with the Load Line Calibration settings.

You ideally want to use the Load Line Calibration setting(s) where the voltage will stay as constant as possible to what you've set in the BIOS.

If you voltage droops down to low under load, then your overclock will fail -- not enough voltage to keep stable.

If your voltage is too high, then you'll be using more voltage than needed, as a result, excessive heat.

You may need to bring your voltage up to 1.45V ~ 1.48V for your particular chip, but...only testing will hail it down to the decimal point. Otherwise, here are my personal BIOS settings that I used for 4.8GHz. (mind you these screenshots are almost a year old, so they are not the most up-to-date, but they can be useful, nonetheless)

NOTES:

• You can leave SB and NB voltage at stock...I was fiddling with some of there things at the time, so I had those over-volted as well.
  • You typically shouldn't need 1.300V for the CPU/NB for 4.4GHz !~ 4.6GHz. I even ended up just using 1.25V for 4.8GHz / 4.9GHz.
  • Stock CPU-VDDA is 2.5V. I was using 2.6V, but ~2.55V is usually enough. 
  • Choose the Load Line Calibration settings that will make the voltage as stable as possible FOR YOUR PARTRICULAR CPU

E1cQ6wH.png

U3xqAfO.png

l5nV8DT.png

Zqd05f2.png

3Vqhz5E.png

3PYP2He.png

@Priller, you got anything else?

Woah thanks man, will defo have to use this aswell!! Make a little mix of this and the other guys help :)

this all assumes that you have epu turned off, coolnquiet is fine to leave on, turbo must be off and ram at rated clock speed.

monitoring

boot  into windows and see what it is idle, if its 1.375 or something just assume its 1.35 and cpu-z is overeading by 25mv (ive spent long enough tinkering with fx's just go with me)

starting tests

so maybe a 20x multi at 1.3v, boot/cpu-z/cinebench and see what teh actual load voltage is and again adjust voltage as nessesary, the higher the default voltage the more effect loadline has, so 1.3v on ultra loadline might be 1.35 under load, however 1.4v on the same ultra loadline might reach 1.475v under load so monitor it!

clocking up.

if that fails try 1.425 but you MUST check the load voltages, too much vrdroop can cause itt o fail, too much voltage gain due to LLC can cause extreme temps and vrm throttling, whenever you hear somone getting low benchmark scores despite high voltage and high clock speeds-throttling.

Ok, so i got it upto 4.8Ghz with cinebench at 1.4 volts and it didnt crash. However i went over to prime and two cores failed. So i upped the voltage progressively upto 1.45, i even dropped the multiplier to 235 and its still failing. What should i do next?

This is what is happening every time on Prime, even at 4.6Ghz

post-8201-0-65518000-1425321215_thumb.pn

post-8201-0-65518000-1425321215_thumb.pn

monitoring

starting tests

clocking up.

sorry for all this spam, but i've managed to get it stable at 4.5 Ghz on prime with a voltage of 1.4. If i try to make the clock any higher even at 1.45 volts it isnt stable. I havent got a clue why but any help would be great :)