*sigh* Prebuilt & GPU issues

Fate

So the 750ti came in for my friend and whenever he installs it, half of the time it sits at the bios splash screen for a few minutes and then goes to a blank screen. The other half it does six long beeps which seems to either be the GPU isn't seated correctly (he reseated it three times) or because secure boot is enabled and I should disable it. However, with the current BIOS (systems that shipped pre-Windows 8) on the Holly2 motherboard, there is no option for that. The only options I can think of is 1. Return it or 2. G3258 + H81 motherboard since he really doesn't want to spend much more on this and a G3258 should be fine for a 750ti. 

Does anybody have any other suggestions before we do one of the previously listed options? (he doesn't have another GPU laying around to test with)

His PC is a HP p6-2143w; a6-3650, 8GB ram, AAHD2-HY (Holly2) motherboard.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I think it's the PSU. HP likes doing just barely enough on the PSU.

I can't remember exactly, but I think it had ~300W on the 12v rails and his 750ti doesn't have a six pin connector which means it can only pull <=75 watts, so I doubt it. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

No, I think its the PSU, 300w couldn't power a 750TI despite it not needing a 6pin. (In my case anyway)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

No, I think its the PSU, 300w couldn't power a 750TI despite it not needing a 6pin. (In my case anyway)

A 300w PSU can power an OCed 5930k with an OCed Gtx 980 (info by Linus). I'm pretty confident that it can host a 750ti + whatever CPU he's using.

I think your card might be faulty. Try booting the PC without the card. Also, try using the card on another PC. Come back with the results.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

A 300w PSU can power an OCed 5930k with an OCed Gtx 980 (info by Linus). I'm pretty confident that it can host a 750ti + whatever CPU he's using.

I think your card might be faulty. Try booting the PC without the card. Also, try using the card on another PC. Come back with the results.

Yes, it can power them at idle.

But when it's HP, it probably realistically can't do over 200w.

Sig under construction.

Yes, it can power them at idle.

But when it's HP, it probably realistically can't do over 200w.

Nope, at load.

I mean, ofc I wouldn't trust that PSU. But as far as raw wattage goes, it would suffice (assuming it had good quality).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Maybe a good one, not the one HP sells their computers with.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

snip. been proved wrong.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

what you need to remember when it comes to power supplies. a 300w PSU isn't actually a 300w at all. they all have efficiency ratings. so an 80% efficient 300w psu in theory will only be 80% of 300w so 270w. Thats not to say in some cheaper brands they're over wanted to compensate in the first place buuuuuut cheap is cheap, and cheap is crap. the 750ti should only draw a max of 65w from the pci lane.

the way to test this is just stick the 750 in another computer, if it boots.. you'll know its not the card. 

that's not how psu efficiency works. the efficiency of a psu is measured by how much power it draws from the wall at a given load, but i digress.

on topic

it could very well be the psu. a prebuilt pc isn't going to be concerned with upgrade headroom. they are concerned with profit which means cheaping out in areas that they can. this almost always means motherboard and psu. that 300w power supply might be its peak rating or worse, adding up the peak ratings of all the rails, its continuous rating could be much lower (as is the case with a lot of cheap power supplies). one would think the psu could handle a 750ti but since this is a retail pc you can't trust the power supply.

you could try swapping out the power supply if you have access to another (say in your rig if you have one or another friend's) or you could try the card in another computer to see if it is defective (it is possible it is the card).

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

what you need to remember when it comes to power supplies. a 300w PSU isn't actually a 300w at all. they all have efficiency ratings. so an 80% efficient 300w psu in theory will only be 80% of 300w so 270w. Thats not to say in some cheaper brands they're over wanted to compensate in the first place buuuuuut cheap is cheap, and cheap is crap. the 750ti should only draw a max of 65w from the pci lane.

the way to test this is just stick the 750 in another computer, if it boots.. you'll know its not the card. 

Completely wrong.

A 300w PSU will always be able to deliver 300w to the system (assuming it has good quality). The efficiency goes after that: a 300w with 90% eff (80+ gold) will draw 333w from the wall, while delivering 300w to the system.

Does the computer shut down immediately when you press the power button or do you have to hold it down? I suggest he should get a better power supply then the stock one. Just for piece of mind for it not blowing up.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

Does the computer shut down immediately when you press the power button or do you have to hold it down? I suggest he should get a better power supply then the stock one. Just for piece of mind for it not blowing up.

Just a black screen with no shut down, and the other half it was sitting at the BIOS splash screen. I think he went ahead and returned the GPU since he didn't want to spend any more money and won't have much time to play games anyways (tennis just started). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Just a black screen with no shut down, and the other half it was sitting at the BIOS splash screen. I think he went ahead and returned the GPU since he didn't want to spend any more money and won't have much time to play games anyways (tennis just started).

Well that sucks, when I upgraded my HP Pavilion p6204y it took 20mins for my mobo to initialize my graphics card. That could of been the case if you needed to hold the power button down for 7 seconds to turn off the computer.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m