pre built or custom

Tytheb0ss123

MY friend wants to get a pc even though i keep telling him to build one he says he wants a alienware because he is lazy leave stuff that proves me right below

Alienware, cheap components, overpriced

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

MY friend wants to get a pc even though i keep telling him to build one he says he wants a alienware because he is lazy leave stuff that proves me right below

If your friend wants to waste money on Alienware let them. Just let him do what makes them happy. Tell him though that building is better and offers a better experience, but if he doesn't want to then its fine(or convince him to get another better brand of prebuilt).

Welcome to the forums! 

I'd advise a botique builder over Alienware any day, but I'd advise a custom PC any day. If you build it yourself, you save some money and have knowledge of how to repair it.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

but all dem purty lights...... Your friend wants an Alienware, let him have it.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

He can go to a shop and buy a built "custom" system, or pick the parts and pay a bit for the build if he really doesn't want to build it himself. Buying Alienware you're going to be missing out on performance, warranty and, in my opinion, appearance.

What I did-choose the parts, let the local computer shop buy the parts cheap and assemble it for me, saved $263 overall.

PMSL

build it urself, it doesnt take long, depending on what ur putting in, mine took about 2-3hours to build most of which was cable management but im ocd about that and im in a h440 witch is notorious for hard cable management. its fun and a good experience and if you follow the linus tech tips vid on how to build a better 1500$ gaming pc then you shouldnt screw up anything, and not to mention the savings. my machine costed about 1300$ with taxes and shipping, a prebuilt of close to same parts would have been around 1500-1600$ plus taxes and shipping. but it up to him, and if he does go prebuilt then go and look around at differant companies to check pricing cause alien ware can get quite pricy

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

I prefer building, but if your friend doesn't get an Alienware then he might never learn.   Don't force him, simply tell him building a PC is MUCH MUCH better.  But, when he buys an Alienware, he will realize its crazy overpriced and want to build a pc. 

Alienware, cheap components, overpriced

I can vouch for this, I bought $4200 Alienware laptop that barely lasted me 2 years, I then bought a $1200 Asus Laptop that lasted me like 5-6 years was lighter/thinner and played everything i wanted it too.  Alienware used to be good, but that was before dell bought them out, now they are just overpriced mediocre PCs in nice cases.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Here i'll compare two different PC's one that is pre built at best buy and one custom made for the same price here we go

Here is best buys best computer for roughly 800$...

Asus - Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black/Red

Specs.....

Intel 4th Generation Core i5 Unknown type just a i5

System Memory (RAM) 8 gigabytes

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB VRAM

with windows 8.1

total cost  : 849.99$

Custom Made build with own parts

[PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Enermax ECA3253-BL ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($92.00 @ B&H)

Total: $705.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-27 20:57 EST-0500

twice as powerful and roughly 144$ cheaper

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

thx for advise everyone my friend will either become smart or have a bad experience.

p.s. his buget is 650.00 to 700.00 usd

PMSL, he won't find a modern Alienware PC at that price, no way in hell will he be able to buy one. Ask for a good gaming build at that price, I'd give you one myself, but I had a $1500 budget when I built my rig so I never considered a cheaper rig.

PMSL