Linus 60fps myth busted

vin_mehta1988

Hi guys,

Can someone provide me the link to the video where linus says that watching videos at 60fps is a myth and he had upscaled a 30fps video to 60fps and no one noticed it.

Thank you

Hi guys,

Can someone provide me the link to the video where linus says that watching videos at 60fps is a myth and he had upscaled a 30fps video to 60fps and no one noticed it.

Thank you

he didnt say it was a myth, he just said that people seeing 60fps gave a plecebo effect and they thaught it was really 60fps. 

was a wan show after party i think. (as above also says)

edit:

eccelent click bait title BTW x'D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

It was some WAN Show after party I think.

even I think it was on wan show but i cant remember on which one.

if your showing the same frame twice you wouldn't really notice anything...

I'm pretty sure some TVs do this to achieve "higher refresh rates".

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

My understanding is that you'll never notice the difference in videos whether it's 30 or 60 unless you knew that the fps would change before-hand or you watched it again after someone told you it changes fps

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

To be honest I can tell, I like the smoothness of 48/50/60fps videos. Sometimes I can't tell but most of the time I can.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

My understanding is that you'll never notice the difference in videos whether it's 30 or 60 unless you knew that the fps would change before-hand or you watched it again after someone told you it changes fps

Oh, I would notice the difference, 30 vs 60 is like night and day.

60FPS is just way too smooth.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I can tell difference between 24 and 60 and 60 and 144

Just run the cursor across the screen and you will see

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You can tell it changed by looking at it

It's extremely noticeable to me.  I immediately can tell when a video is 60fps vs 30 even without knowing ahead of time. 60 to 144hz is even more of a difference.

Do you work for Ubisoft?

The new fap videos look markedly different than the previous ones. Look when Linus jerks his arms around.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm pretty sure some TVs do this to achieve "higher refresh rates".

They kinda do this. They do interpolation which is an attempt at making motion more fluid and removing the choppiness that is 30 FPS.

What a TV that does this will do is it will look at frame 1 and look at frame 2. Using those two frames it tries to guess what the frame between them would have looked like. It then goes on to display frames 1, 1.5, and 2.

Honestly, I can't tell that well by just looking. But if I'm the one playing a game, I can definitely notice a difference. Feel it more than see it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Do you work for Ubisoft?

Nope, I would never betray my PC brethren and work for Ubisoft lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

To clear things up, Linus' point was that people said they love the 60 fps on his channel that he uploaded, in reality he just made it say 60 fps on youtube when it was in fact 30. He is not saying 30 fps looks as smooth as 60 fps in videos, hes saying people convinced themselves it was smoother just cause it said 60.