4960x Soldered Die Question

Go to solution Solved by Diljot,

But what exactly is the IHS?

Its like the cover for the cpu, the silver/gray thing you apply thermal paste on and put a heatsink over 

So according to this article they said the 4960x will have the die soldered onto the IHS. What does this mean? What is the die and what is the IHS?

Hopefully really good temps but possibly no delidding the CPU.

From what I know it just means that the metal shield covering the CPU cores themselves will be soldered on, instead of being glued and and with thermal paste between the metal shield and the cores themselves.

The "ordinary consumer" cpu's (e.i the 4770k) all have the shield glued on while the 3930k and the rest of the LGA2011 cpus have them soldered on, this gives better heat transfer from cpu to heatsink.. At least that is how I have understood it.. :) 

(Comming soon)

Its like the cover for the cpu, the silver/gray thing you apply thermal paste on and put a heatsink over 

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

There is usually thermal grease between the IHS and the actual CPU but on i7-4960x is soldered

for "better heat transfer"

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

Integrated Heat Spreader. It's the metal surface on the package off the CPU. It helps to dissipate heat from the die. It also protects the die.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Integrated Heat Spreader. It's the metal surface on the package off the CPU. It helps to dissipate heat from the die. It also protects the die.

Integrated heat Spreader. Connects the CPU die to the heatsink.

I think he got it...

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

LOL Thanks for the responses guys. I got it now.

Mark as solved please

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm