i7-4790k or i5-4690k for Battlefield 4 While Recording

Dear TechTipsFolks,

I am building a PC with a EVGA GTX 970 and am debating about what CPU to get. I have narrowed the choice down to a i7-4790k or an i5-4690k, I will be playing Battlefield 4 while running recording software at 1080p. How many FPS should I expect to be getting while recording vs. not recording? If I can stick with the i5 then I will be able to get a new monitor (mine is VGA) without needing to wait three months.

Thx, 

Ethan

at 1080p you will still get 60 fps with a 970 and a 4690k while recording on shadowplay, just save the money and get the monitor

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

The i5 will be fine. You can use ShadowPlay to record, and there will be little performance hit (maybe 1-2FPS) Therefore, i5 all the way.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/317027-i7-4790k-or-i5-4690k-for-battlefield-4-while-recording/Also, you can edit posts.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

yeah BF4 was even running in down-sampled 4k on my 780 with a i5 at 40 -60 fps

Needs Update

yeah BF4 was even running in down-sampled 4k on my 780 with a i5 at 40 -60 fps

No it wasent.

At ultra settings? Yeah right

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

From my experience, Battlefield 4 has a great game engine, and if you pair that up with Shadowplay recording you should never go below 60 fps. 

No it wasent.

let me record some game-play to show you give me 10 mins.

Needs Update

No it wasent.

I dont see why he wouldnt get that. I get that np on my 970 as well.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The i5 will be fine. You can use ShadowPlay to record, and there will be little performance hit (maybe 1-2FPS) Therefore, i5 all the way.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/317027-i7-4790k-or-i5-4690k-for-battlefield-4-while-recording/Also, you can edit posts.

I believe the typical hit on performance is about 10%, so as you said, virtually nothing lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I believe the typical hit on performance is about 10%, so as you said, virtually nothing lol.

10% sounds rather high for it to be virtually nothing, maybe more like 1-3%?

No it wasent.

I had 3200x1800 downsampled to 1080p running on my GTX 770 2GB at 30-45FPS. I wouldn't say it wasn't. I know, GPU and res difference, but it's semi-linear.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

No it wasent.

I dont see why he wouldnt get that. I get that np on my 970 as well.

10% sounds rather high for it to be virtually nothing, maybe more like 1-3%?

I had 3200x1800 downsampled to 1080p running on my GTX 770 2GB at 30-45FPS. I wouldn't say it wasn't. I know, GPU and res difference, but it's semi-linear.

its just Uploading now but there it here it is (

)

4k res on a 64 player MP map only AA is turned off only had lag when i was in menu and when i died because DOF effect.

Needs Update

its just Uploading now but there it here it is (

)

4k res on a 64 player MP map only AA is turned off only had lag when i was in menu and when i died because DOF effect.

This game looks amazing... I need to buy it! (Still waiting to get my 970 tho).

It's pretty amazing how the 780 handles 4K.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

i7, cuz it has 8 threads and you want more threads if you record and stream.

One more question, the i7-4790k on ARK says it is compatible  with ddr3 1600, same with the i5-4690k, so does that mean I should not get 2400 gskill ram?

its just Uploading now but there it here it is (http://youtu.be/dK-VYT6JvmE)

Max settings included aa

Dear TechTipsFolks,

I am building a PC with a EVGA GTX 970 and am debating about what CPU to get. I have narrowed the choice down to a i7-4790k or an i5-4690k, I will be playing Battlefield 4 while running recording software at 1080p. How many FPS should I expect to be getting while recording vs. not recording? If I can stick with the i5 then I will be able to get a new monitor (mine is VGA) without needing to wait three months.

Thx, 

Ethan

I think you'll be fine with the 4690k, you don't need that much cpu while using shadowplay or fraps when you are using a 970 at 1080p

One more question, the i7-4790k on ARK says it is compatible  with ddr3 1600, same with the i5-4690k, so does that mean I should not get 2400 gskill ram?

It's compatible, but you're unlikely to see any benefits from spending more on 2400 MHz RAM. DDR3-1866 is generally agreed to be the sweetspot for Haswell.

Whether the i7 will matter depends somewhat on the recording software, but I'm able to record games using my old i5-750 and GTX 770 using Shadowplay and it's fine. I doubt a new i5 will struggle much with any recording software that I can think of.

Max settings included aa

He's downsampling 4k so I'm assuming he has a 23-24" monitor, which would make AA absolutely useless. Even at 28" it's kinda hard to tell the difference past 2x and you flat out don't even need it. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Max settings included aa

He's downsampling 4k so I'm assuming he has a 23-24" monitor, which would make AA absolutely useless. Even at 28" it's kinda hard to tell the difference past 2x and you flat out don't even need it.

He just doesn't want to admit that I was right. 4k with 4x msaa would be close to 8k performance costs as its 4x sampling per pixel

Needs Update

Doesent change the fact that without AA its not max settings...

And I think I made a mistake, I thought we were talking bout 4k, not DSR...

He just doesn't want to admit that I was right. 4k with 4x msaa would be close to 8k performance costs as its 4x sampling per pixel

Without AA, its not Max settings.

Please dont jump t o conclusions like that.

This thread helped me but now it is just a place to argue, can we stop please

Doesn't matter. "Ultra" is "ultra". MSAA 4x is a HUGE performance hit, and people who say "ultra preset" or "on ultra" with these higher resolution settings are painting the wrong kind of picture. Even two 770s wouldn't keep 60fps at Ultra preset at 4K. Well above 40fps, sure. Hitting 60fps? Definitely. But it will dip into its 40s for certain.

And I think I made a mistake, I thought we were talking bout 4k, not DSR...

DSR is running the game at a higher native render resolution. It's rendering 3840 x 2160 pixels, even if the monitor is not displaying them.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday