Can you help me by answering this questionnaire for my games design course

Weirdybeardyman

I did it, you're welcome @Weirdybeardyman <3

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Where are you taking game design at? I hope its not Full Sail

I really enjoy designing games and 3d Modelling.

I really enjoy designing games and 3d Modelling.

I dont doubt that I was just asking because if you are in fact going to Full Sail University you might want to look into a different school trust me. I went there for game design to and realized after 1 year that they were not teaching me anything. I was making to good of grades so I did a little test and flat out plagiarized an assignment just to see if they would catch it and on a few others I just made them look pretty while not doing any actual part of the assignment and still got 100 A's on them. Honestly take it from someone who has been through there once they wont teach you anything you already dont know. 

Most of the instructors once you get past month 6 wont even hold live lectures or speak to you via video conference or telephone they will just post 3-4 year old videos and expect you to do your work based off of those videos. And the icing on the cake came in the beginning of my 2nd academic year when they tried to tell me that I lost $3,000 of my financial aid and I would have to come out of pocket for the rest. I contacted the U.S. department of education and found that I had not lost any of my funding and that I actually had more than Full Sail told me I had available. 

The problem with a school like them is that they are a private for profit organization meaning they are a business and rather than a dean of students they have a CEO. Thats why their instructors give such good grades even when its crap work is because they are being paid to make you stay. If you do your research you'll find that a degree from there means nothing to a vast majority of companies and game studios since Full Sail is not a fully accredited institution. They have only national accreditation which means they are considered a tech school and NO actual college will accept or recognize any of their credits as college credits.  

I just dont want to see someone else fall victim to their shady practices. After doing about 3 months of research the only school that I could find with both national and regional accreditation is Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU). Their program is $3,500 per year cheaper than Full Sails and sets you up to be able to get your game design degree along side a computer programming degree so you will not be stuck with only one or two possible jobs.  

I dont doubt that I was just asking because if you are in fact going to Full Sail University you might want to look into a different school trust me. I went there for game design to and realized after 1 year that they were not teaching me anything. I was making to good of grades so I did a little test and flat out plagiarized an assignment just to see if they would catch it and on a few others I just made them look pretty while not doing any actual part of the assignment and still got 100 A's on them. Honestly take it from someone who has been through there once they wont teach you anything you already dont know. 

Most of the instructors once you get past month 6 wont even hold live lectures or speak to you via video conference or telephone they will just post 3-4 year old videos and expect you to do your work based off of those videos. And the icing on the cake came in the beginning of my 2nd academic year when they tried to tell me that I lost $3,000 of my financial aid and I would have to come out of pocket for the rest. I contacted the U.S. department of education and found that I had not lost any of my funding and that I actually had more than Full Sail told me I had available. 

The problem with a school like them is that they are a private for profit organization meaning they are a business and rather than a dean of students they have a CEO. Thats why their instructors give such good grades even when its crap work is because they are being paid to make you stay. If you do your research you'll find that a degree from there means nothing to a vast majority of companies and game studios since Full Sail is not a fully accredited institution. They have only national accreditation which means they are considered a tech school and NO actual college will accept or recognize any of their credits as college credits.  

No, I got to College in then UK at the moment.

That sounds like you had a really rough experience though, I hope things have gone better since then.

No, I got to College in then UK at the moment.

That sounds like you had a really rough experience though, I hope things have gone better since then.

Alright thats good I just remember that same survey from my time at Full Sail so it made me want to warn you if it was the case. From what I hear the UK has some of the best game programs in the world. Hopefully you can make it in the game industry. I personally though have since jumped ship on game design and changed my major to computer engineering with a concentration in software development, with this degree with some minor self teaching I can still pursue a career in game development on the coding side but it also opens me up to over 150 other possible jobs. Thats the only problem with a game design/development degree is that it limits you to only 3-5 possible jobs and with how saturated the job market is with people wanting a career in video games it makes it really hard to find a job unless your portfolio is just amazing and I didn't want to take that chance personally. I didn't want to risk having a bachelors degree and having to flip burgers at McDonalds.

Alright thats good I just remember that same survey from my time at Full Sail so it made me want to warn you if it was the case. From what I hear the UK has some of the best game programs in the world. Hopefully you can make it in the game industry. I personally though have since jumped ship on game design and changed my major to computer engineering with a concentration in software development, with this degree with some minor self teaching I can still pursue a career in game development on the coding side but it also opens me up to over 150 other possible jobs. Thats the only problem with a game design/development degree is that it limits you to only 3-5 possible jobs and with how saturated the job market is with people wanting a career in video games it makes it really hard to find a job unless your portfolio is just amazing and I didn't want to take that chance personally. I didn't want to risk having a bachelors degree and having to flip burgers at McDonalds.

Hehe yeh it is a pretty big risk to take going into the games industry with a high qualification, but no experience, no portfolio (or not much of one) and debt. That is one of the reasons I am not going to go to university, just College to get an level 3 qualification, then build a large portfolio on the side of a job such as computer repair, I really don't want the debt from University.

Hehe yeh it is a pretty big risk to take going into the games industry with a high qualification, but no experience, no portfolio (or not much of one) and debt. That is one of the reasons I am not going to go to university, just College to get an level 3 qualification, then build a large portfolio on the side of a job such as computer repair, I really don't want the debt from University.

I know what you mean. By the time I am done with my degree I will have amassed a debt of around $40,000. If it wasn't for me wasting a year of my time with Full Sail my debt would only be around $30,000 for my bachelors but I made a bad judgement call. Hopefully with the field that I am looking to go into now I can make enough money to offset the extra $10,000 in debt since I am looking at around $55,000-65,000 per year starting out. 

Dam, advice for any others on a phone, before you do the survey get on a computer or have a good bit of free time, the survey site thing can not do phone browsers very well....

any way, if you notice any funny looking surveys it is probably mine.....

Dam, advice for any others on a phone, before you do the survey get on a computer or have a good bit of free time, the survey site thing can not do phone browsers very well....

any way, if you notice any funny looking surveys it is probably mine.....

:D Ok, I will look out for weird answers.

I just dont want to see someone else fall victim to their shady practices. After doing about 3 months of research the only school that I could find with both national and regional accreditation is Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU). Their program is $3,500 per year cheaper than Full Sails and sets you up to be able to get your game design degree along side a computer programming degree so you will not be stuck with only one or two possible jobs.  

I know people who went to Full Sail and actually got Jobs so it's not as bad as you think it is!  Game Design however is NOT something you can learn in 2 years no matter what, I've been developing games since 1998/99 and I'll tell you I'm STILL learning.  He also was pretty damn good with C++, he knew what he was doing, half the kids that go there really don't and that's the problem with this school.  They expect you to know what you're doing but expand on it, that's why it's 2 years not 4.    

Also the school is pretty cheap so that's a +, it's not bad but like I said make sure you know what you're doing, you will learn something there. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I know people who went to Full Sail and actually got Jobs so it's not as bad as you think it is!  Game Design however is NOT something you can learn in 2 years no matter what, I've been developing games since 1998/99 and I'll tell you I'm STILL learning.  He also was pretty damn good with C++, he knew what he was doing, half the kids that go there really don't and that's the problem with this school.  They expect you to know what you're doing but expand on it, that's why it's 2 years not 4.    

Also the school is pretty cheap so that's a +, it's not bad but like I said make sure you know what you're doing, you will learn something there. 

I was in their 4 year program not the 2 year one. I dont know which school you went to but $17,250 a year for an online school is very expensive. At my current school I am only spending around $13,000 per year and thats including books. And with what I am currently doing I will have learned a broader scope rather than a specific thing and can build upon it from there. 

Ok I will, I didn't mean to upset anyone, or break any rules  :D

Well now you know ;)

I answered the survey, good luck!

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Well now you know ;)

I answered the survey, good luck!

Thanks, and I think ive already commented that I love your profile pic :D

I was in their 4 year program not the 2 year one. I dont know which school you went to but $17,250 a year for an online school is very expensive. At my current school I am only spending around $13,000 per year and thats including books. And with what I am currently doing I will have learned a broader scope rather than a specific thing and can build upon it from there. 

Full sail, state uni, and MIT courses!  

Fullsail isn't for everyone and I mean that, I meant you need to have a great understanding of what it is you want to do before even going there!  Fullsail is better for film, and web not so much the other areas or even recording arts since the talentless like Justin Bieber can make it! 

For those that are thinking about MIT, it's bootcamp for the mind!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Can you please help me out by filling out my 10 question questionnaire for my games design course.

Thank you to anyone who helps me out with this.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZYGRX3 

Just filled out the form.

Full sail, state uni, and MIT courses!  

Fullsail isn't for everyone and I mean that, I meant you need to have a great understanding of what it is you want to do before even going there!  Fullsail is better for film, and web not so much the other areas or even recording arts since the talentless like Justin Bieber can make it! 

For those that are thinking about MIT, it's bootcamp for the mind!

I'm not trying to be rude here, but is it possible if you guys could move this conversation somewhere else? I feel like the thread should be used for what the OP intended.

Just filled out the form.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but is it possible if you guys could move this conversation somewhere else? I feel like the thread should be used for what the OP intended.

Thanks very much for the help :D