MSI GT70 Dominator with GTX970m any good?

jpnmusic2

Hello there. So I'll soon sell my desktop, and will probably buy this laptop. What do you guys think? Is it good for the price? It fits right in my budget, so yeah. Its performance will be similar to my current R9 280x I suppose, and it's an i7 (I have an i5-4570). 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=076001

Thanks. ^^

Main PC: Intel i7-860 and Asus P7P55D-E LX (both for 15$) | Mismatched 7GB | WD10EZEX | ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB | Antec EA500 (20$)

Yeah, that'd be a good machine. If you overclock the GPU some and set your processor right, it'll be a definite improvement over your current desktop.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Me and my buddy just bought one actually, the exact model from Canadacomputers :D ( you might notice the Stock level on North York dropped from 1 to 0)

It is pretty good. Though our first one had a defective integrated GPU so the whole thing was artifacting and we had it replaced. The second one is holding so far.

The GTX 970m is about GTX760, and with that i7 to help its a beast. My other friend has a GTX 970 on his i3 CPU and he couldn't even run Battlefield 4 on ultra when my buddy with the laptop runs it fine.

Yeah, it's pretty good for the money, although I don't recommend gaming on a laptop unless it's necessary. Your i5 will probably still be faster than a mobile i7, don't expect performance boosts.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, it's pretty good for the money, although I don't recommend gaming on a laptop unless it's necessary. Your i5 will probably still be faster than a mobile i7, don't expect performance boosts.

No it won't. At the same speeds, desktop i7s and mobile i7s perform the same. His i7 will perform better than his i5 in games which use his hyperthreading, and his i5 will perform about equal to his i7 in games that don't; I believe they're at similar speeds.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

No it won't. At the same speeds, desktop i7s and mobile i7s perform the same. His i7 will perform better than his i5 in games which use his hyperthreading, and his i5 will perform about equal to his i7 in games that don't; I believe they're at similar speeds.

Almost no games use hyperthreading. The mobile i7 has a significantly lower clock speed. -> in gaming it won't perform as well.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Almost no games use hyperthreading. The mobile i7 has a significantly lower clock speed. -> in gaming it won't perform as well.

What lower clockspeed? You do know they're designed to run at their full turbo 24/7 right? Here:

Screenshot1405.jpg

What lower clockspeed? You do know they're designed to run at their full turbo 24/7 right? Here:

Only one core at a time can boost to its maximum, all other cores stay around the base clock speed. Otherwise what would be the point? Each core can already scale to below standard clock speed, the benefit of adding a boost is that it can help in single threaded tasks without heating the cpu up too much.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Only one core at a time can boost to its maximum, all other cores stay around the base clock speed. Otherwise what would be the point? Each core can already scale to below standard clock speed, the benefit of adding a boost is that it can help in single threaded tasks without heating the cpu up too much.

4710MQ = 2.5GHz base clock

1 core turbo = 3.5GHz

2 core turbo = 3.4GHz

3 core turbo = 3.3GHz

4 core turbo = 3.3GHz

If he was stressing 4 cores, his CPU'd sit at 3.3GHz 24/7. The CPU is not meant to sit at 2.5GHz. If his/her 4710MQ was under heavy load and was below 3.3GHz on 3 or 4 core loads, it's throttling and needs fixing. I suggest you read my CPU guide. I also just showed you a screenshot of my entire system being stressed and keeping a full clock under load.

Hello there. So I'll soon sell my desktop, and will probably buy this laptop. What do you guys think? Is it good for the price? It fits right in my budget, so yeah. Its performance will be similar to my current R9 280x I suppose, and it's an i7 (I have an i5-4570). 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=076001

Thanks. ^^

If you are good with a 15.6" machine, you can get the Clevo P650SE for $1350 CAD now from Eurocom (no OS). The advantage is a much more lightweight machine and an IPS display which is a great advantage - link

If you are good with a 15.6" machine, you can get the Clevo P650SE for $1350 CAD now from Eurocom (no OS). The advantage is a much more lightweight machine and an IPS display which is a great advantage - link

The MSI is a better notebook.

Stop linking the same notebook from the same reseller to everyone. Either you tailor your responses to what the user is looking for/has in mind, or I'll start reporting you for spam.

Because you've decided that the MSI is better? 

Maybe you should report me for spam and we'll talk both to the moderators, seeing if you are right or wrong? maybe we'll include your other not-so-nice comments? what do you think?

Maybe we can refer to our communications where I'm trying to understand what exactly do you want shouting instead of just talking and explaining any point you might have had?

Let's see:

1. at least 1KG more - check

2. much lower quality TN display - check

3. GPU throttle - check

4. Way noiser - check

5. $100 more - check

6. Way bulkier - check

7. No TPM (1.2 or 2.0)

MSI advantages:

1. A little less throttling under full load

2. Perhaps better speakers

3. ........

What exactly do you want from me? 

Because you've decided that the MSI is better? 

Maybe you should report me for spam and we'll talk both to the moderators, seeing if you are right or wrong? maybe we'll include your other not-so-nice comments? what do you think?

Maybe we can refer to our communications where I'm trying to understand what exactly do you want shouting instead of just talking and explaining any point you might have had?

Let's see:

1. at least 1KG more - check

2. much lower quality TN display - check

3. GPU throttle - check

4. Way noiser - check

5. $100 more - check

6. Way bulkier - check

7. No TPM (1.2 or 2.0)

MSI advantages:

1. A little less throttling under full load

2. Perhaps better speakers

3. ........

What exactly do you want from me? 

Let's see.

Better CPU - Check.

Socketed parts - Check.

CPU that will do what you tell it - Check.

No GPU throttle - Check.

Better CPU cooling - Check

Better speakers - Check

Clevo downsides

Hotter CPU - Check

Integrated GPU and CPU - check

CPU that won't listen to most XTU settings - Check

no ODD potential - check

thinner and lighter - check (OMG THE CLEVO IS TEH BEST!!!11!!!11!!!shift+one!11!!)

You go in every single thread of anyone thinking about any laptop and recommend them the SAME link... which seems to be tailored to your name somehow; always to Eurocom, regardless of where the user is in the world... and try to tell them to get the same laptop.

Guess what? That laptop is not the best there is. It's nowhere NEAR the best.

It's not going to ever be the best.

It is full-on BGA crap that people who chase thin/light models go gaga over. It might be one of the better machines in that class, compared to the GS series and the Lenovo series and the gigabyte series and the Aorus series, but you don't "beat" a socketed machine that's bulkier with better cooling.

If you like that machine, great. If people are looking for cheap, good gaming machines, fine. But stop spamming your one link (which isn't even directly to the website) to everybody on the forum regardless of what they ask for. Go learn something about good gaming laptops.

"better CPU" - 100MHZ that won't make ANY DIFFERENCE in gaming and barely anything noticeable in other stuff?

GPU throttling - YES THERE IS - check the review

socketed CPU/GPU - well, Skylake won't really fit and Broadwell isn't really nothing special, right? and MXM GPUs? check the prices. You would better sell the machine and buy a new one instead and in 3-4 years you'd have much better options anyway.

All the advantages you've mentioned about the performance are non existent really. You'll get the same gaming performance more or less with both. You'll get same performance and a much worse TN display you can't even tilt due to bad viewing angles. So, bottom line, you'll have same performance, worse experience, way bulkier and noisier machine.

Yes, I go everywhere where people are asking for a gaming laptop for such a price and it's a good deal - yes, I'm recommending that deal. Especially in the US, where the next stop is for at least $1450-$1500 for any other machine with 970M. You even recommended P650SE yourself, didn't you?

You are not even discussing it. You are not even letting the man ask and think for himself, you are simply offensive. Is the GT70 a much better option?

Go on and report.

And if you'll respond to me again in that manner, I'll react. If you can DISCUSS, then great, but if you can't, that's on you.

its pretty good, but you could probably get a slimmer laptop than that

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

"better CPU" - 100MHZ that won't make ANY DIFFERENCE in gaming and barely anything noticeable in other stuff?

GPU throttling - YES THERE IS - check the review

socketed CPU/GPU - well, Skylake won't really fit and Broadwell isn't really nothing special, right? and MXM GPUs? check the prices. You would better sell the machine and buy a new one instead and in 3-4 years you'd have much better options anyway.

All the advantages you've mentioned about the performance are non existent really. You'll get the same gaming performance more or less with both. You'll get same performance and a much worse TN display you can't even tilt due to bad viewing angles. So, bottom line, you'll have same performance, worse experience, way bulkier and noisier machine.

Yes, I go everywhere where people are asking for a gaming laptop for such a price and it's a good deal - yes, I'm recommending that deal. Especially in the US, where the next stop is for at least $1450-$1500 for any other machine with 970M. You even recommended P650SE yourself, didn't you?

You are not even discussing it. You are not even letting the man ask and think for himself, you are simply offensive. Is the GT70 a much better option?

Go on and report.

1 - If you read my CPU guide, you will find out that ALL HQ CPUs are broken, TDP-locked, throttle-prone machines. You probably won't see it at stock in 60fps gaming, but it exists. AND the socket means that machine can take up to a 4910MQ CPU, which is 3.7GHz 4-core turbo at stock and can OC to 4.3GHz on 4 cores. MQ > HQ. Period. There is no arguing this.

2 - That is the 880M. His model is a 970M. The 880M is a broken notebook chip. 100% broken, out the gate, straight from nVidia. Hence my previous point about doing research about other notebooks and their hardware. The ONLY notebooks that had working 880M GPUs in them were ASUS notebooks, as they used 4GB 880M custom-PCB designed notebooks. Even Alienware notebooks, well-known in the enthusiast market to have the best cooling among gaming notebook class machines needed elbow grease to even keep their temps stable more than half the time.

3 - Notebookcheck doesn't do much with their machines. They are good for a baseline understanding of things, but they do things like: review notebooks with sub-par paste like MX-2, or leave fans on auto for clevos when max fans is the best cooling, then report overheating under stress tests like prime95, etc. Don't take their word as law, and find out information from users who actually own them. Like me. I have a friend I talk to every day who has a GT70. She's got a 4810MQ which sits at 3.6GHz undervolted and an 870M which she keeps 24/7 overclocked and never encounters overheating or throttling issues. 970Ms are about 20 degrees cooler than 870Ms and draw less power. It's not going to throttle.

4 - I wasn't even thinking about broadwell. But the fact remains he can use high vRAM GPUs in his machine (such as the 8GB 980Ms, or 6GB 970Ms, or whatever AMD/nVidia release in the next year as long as it's within his power limits) as well as get a better CPU later, usually off ebay or some other place if he wants more performance. It's also better if anything goes wrong with a machine so you don't have to replace the entire motherboard.

5 - The IPS display. Sure. Nice benefit, but 25ms response time? Not so good for all gamers.

6 - I did not say it's a bad computer or a bad deal. I said that you are recommending US customers a machine that is CHEAPER in US stores like XoticPC. I linked you multiple machines from Eurocom and Xotic and copied the same specs into each configurator. I.E. same hard drives/ssd/GPU/CPU/Wifi card/etc. The result always showed that Xotic was ~$100 cheaper or so. Maybe a bit more. You kept asking why I was changing specs and kept trying to tell me it's "cheaper" using base config vs base config. Base configs do not match; each base config is different hardware. Match the same hardware across each machine for proper price comparisons. Eurocom is a canadian rebrander as well. Warranty shipments for US customers are going to be a pain. It's not feasible unless you have a specific purpose, such as they are offering a screen you cannot get elsewhere, to buy from Eurocom if you are not in canada.

7 - I never told you to not recommend the P650SE. I told you stop telling everybody wanting a gaming laptop to buy it, and to stop recommending it from ONE location. You've told european customers about it. You've told american customers about it. An European customer is best off buying from Scan UK or mySN or CEG or some place closer to them. Their import fees are insane. US customers are best buying from the US in 98% of all cases. Some people need better CPU control. Some people want CPU power over GPU power, and the socketed, unlocked-bios, better-cooled machines like the SM-A series are better options. Pick the machine for the user. If you do not know what the user wants, ASK first. Like I often do in a large number of threads you can sift through and find me asking what people need/want before I tell them what to buy.

You're right I was not discussing it. I tried to explain the whole price deal to you before, and you "wouldn't get it". So I decided either you are incapable of reading english as I reiterated it for you over at LEAST three separate posts in full detail, or you simply are a troll wanting to use your specific link that runs through another website or some sort of referral program. You have proven yourself incapable of understanding any points I made about the subject, either by choice or by lack of mental capacity, and you have clearly not done much research about notebooks, resellers and rebranders at all. Yet you keep telling people the same thing over and over. That P650SE is not the best machine for every user out there. Find out if it is good to give it to them or not first, and give them a seller or rebrander that offers them what they need, within their budget. That's what I've been saying this entire time.

Does that qualify as discussion?

1. I linked maybe 5 times to this one because it has a discount now - have you check all my responses? you've said it yourself that they are all the same Clevo. If someones' asking for a $1200-$1300 gaming laptop, then yea, it's a good option. 

2. About the review - you're right, I thought it was a 970M review. However, the P650SE with fans set to maximum and making noise, like the GT70, does well with the thermals.

3. It is cheaper than XoticPC in this case, yes, for the same performance level. Why would you compare some upgrades that mean nothing like 4710 vs 4720?

Why copy anything? why buy an SSD upgrade from any of them??

4. What does it matter to you whether if it's socketed or not, if you'll get the same performance? 

Listen, this is not a discussion, you are just trying to let your anger out or something. I'll respond whatever I want, you can "report" and we'll see what happens.

3. It is cheaper than XoticPC in this case, yes, for the same performance level. Why would you compare some upgrades that mean nothing like 4710 vs 4720?

Why copy anything? why buy an SSD upgrade from any of them??

4. What does it matter to you whether if it's socketed or not, if you'll get the same performance? 

Listen, this is not a discussion, you are just trying to let your anger out or something. I'll respond whatever I want, you can "report" and we'll see what happens.

No. You are getting a 5400RPM hard drive and a worse wifi card among other things by default config in the Eurocom model. I simply matched hard drives (1TB to 1TB, 7265ac to 7265ac, etc) so that the machines were the same. I could neglect 4710 vs 4720, but it's still 100MHz extra at stock that the former does not have. So no, they're not the same machine in a vacuum unless their parts are equivalent to each other. You can't tell me a 4710HQ, 500GB HDD, low-end intel wifi card is the same as a 4720HQ, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 7265ac wifi card. They're not the same product, and the latter has better internals. If I MATCH the internals so you DO end up with the same machine on either side, Eurocom is cheaper.

Next, I've said it so many times I cannot count, MQ chips respond to BIOS settings and are capable of keeping their clocks under loads where the HQ chips cannot, due to the HQ chips being TDP limited regardless of BIOS settings. For a user who demands CPU power, like someone planning to do a lot of video rendering, or work in Premiere Pro, or a livestreamer, or anything of that sort, a HQ chip is by far inferior to a MQ chip for this reason. Why? HQ will throttle, MQ will not. I've told you this no less than three times, and I've mentioned it when you told someone to get the P650SE when they were looking for a render machine. Let me make it as clear as I can possibly make it.:

HQ chips under heavy load = throttle

MQ chips under heavy load = keep boost, and keep overclock (if any)

This has nothing to do with thermal throttling. This is a POWER throttle, that is hard-coded into the HQ chips, which does not exist in the MQ line.

1. The 3D performance is about the same

2. Really, I don't understand. Is it not a valid option? I didn't even say it was better, I've just said it exists

3. On other posts where someone say he has $1200 US, why would he go and spend another $300 just in order to get higher TDP CPU? what's the point if he/she gets the desired performance?

Anyway, just consider the option.