Looking for new CPU

Personally i say, buy a z97 chipset mobo and buy an i3 4160 right now. When broadwell is released buy one of the i5's

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

If you want an upgrade where there is a noticeable difference than you're gonna wanna switch to Intel. As others have already mentioned, single threaded performance is better on Intel; while you could get a FX-8xxx, all your doing is adding more cores/threads but no changing single core/thread performance by much.

Personally I don't think the FX-6300 is a bad chip; if your looking for increase in performance in games than i sugget OCing the CPU and spending the money on a GPU upgrade. Now if you do want to upgrade the CPU, sell your FX-6300 and Motherboard; depending on where you are you should be able to get $170-200 for both and then buy a i5 4xxx(K if you want to OC) and a decent motherboard. If you have money left over, you could also sell your GPU and try to get a used r9 280 or 7950 for cheap these days.

i advise on keeping your money for now and wait for the newer release when you have enough cash saved  istill think your 6300 and 7850 should do well until you got enough cash to upgrade the cpu,motherboard,gpu all together.

edit: this is so that when you upgrade you would feel the difference a lot more than just going 8320 for now and a 970 or something later. 

might as well go the i5 route + whatever decent gpu that's within your budget and at least an upgrade to your 7850.

Live your life like a dream.

all of the i5's are 4 threads 4 cores 

i3's 4 threads 2 cores

i7's 8-16 threads 4-8 cores

There was a topic on the matter in which I mentioned, that there are old desktop i5s with 2 cores 4 threads. Take a look at i5-660.

So saying that ALL i5s are 4c/4t isn't exactly true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on the topic. As @Shura said, a GPU update might benefit you more. A bottleneck might occur for now, but you can get an i5 in the future. And you can OC the 6300 and lower the limitations.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, Linus paired a GTX 970 with an FX-6300 in the holiday buyer guide. So, it can't be THAT bad.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Ok,  If I went Intel.  Which i5 would I get?

Any core i5 haswell is a worthy upgrade to AMD FX CPU's...so get the best you can afford...if you're on a tight budget get something like the i5-4460 or i5-4590 and cheap H97 board, if you have some more money i5-4690K and Z97 board and if money is no object i7-4790K and Z97 board.

Upgrading your FX-6300 to FX-83XX or even FX-9XXX will not yield any tangible benefit in most situations unless you use this in a workstation environement which i guess you are not.

Unfortunately, only a AMD 7850 2GB (stock settings)

That said, if you plan on using this low-end GPU for a while just keep your CPU it's a good match for this GPU...you wont see any gaming performance increase upgrading only your CPU if you use that GPU with it, id start with the purchase of a new stronger graphics card first (R9 290...GTX 970...)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

There was a topic on the matter in which I mentioned, that there are old desktop i5s with 2 cores 4 threads. Take a look at i5-660.

So saying that ALL i5s are 4c/4t isn't exactly true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on the topic. As @Shura said, a GPU update might benefit you more. A bottleneck might occur for now, but you can get an i5 in the future. And you can OC the 6300 and lower the limitations.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, Linus paired a GTX 970 with an FX-6300 in the holiday buyer guide. So, it can't be THAT bad.

well .... i was mostly talking about sandybridge and newer but sure.... if i said all then its my fault :D

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO