PC Randomly restarting playing games.

isaxyl

Hey, I've recently built a PC (late December 2014) and only in the past 2 days have I had this error. My PC has started randomly restarting while in games, and funnily enough, it only started after I installed CoD:AW from the Free Weekend, which I soon found out can hardly run on my PC. If anyone could help that would be really appreciated. If you need my specs they're below.

I tried turning off Borderless Fullscreen and that worked for a short while, but it's happening again.

Thanks!

Dan

Specs-

CPU - AMD A10-6800K

GPU - SAPPHIRE R9 270x 4GB OC

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Motherboard - ASUS A88XM-A

Case - Bitfenix Prodigy M

PSU - Corsair Builder Series CX500

HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Some £10 dvd read/writer

OS - Windows 8.1

First thing to look for is your GPU/CPU temps while playing.

I can hardly get in to a game anymore, but I'll test my temps on Bioshock Infinite if I can get in to it.

First thing to look for is your GPU/CPU temps while playing.

Just before the game (Bioshock Infinite) crashed, my CPU was at 37.6 Degrees Celcius, and my GPU was at 55 Celcius.

Just before the game (Bioshock Infinite) crashed, my CPU was at 37.6 Degrees Celcius, and my GPU was at 55 Celcius.

Alright so it's not related to temps...Have you tried rolling back drivers?  Is your CPU overclocked?  You state OC on your GPU, is that factory OC or manual OC?

Could be PSU related. 500W is cutting it short. (more like 408W on the 12V according to the specs)

When a PC use more power than is available, it reboots itself so it's easy to mistake it for temperatures. (can sometimes shut itself too)

AMD CPU aren't known for their low power usage, couple that with a high end OC'ed graphic card, and you've got a recipe for a disaster.

Considering you only have 408W MAX, that doesn't leave you much room for the components on LOAD, especially if you overclocked the CPU as well. Then there's PSU degradation over time, but 2 months or so shouldn't have had much of an effect on that side...

I don't suppose you have a kill-a-watt / energy meter on hand to determine how much power is consumed before the PC reset itself? Those things are extremely useful when dealing with PC problems.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Your pc should be able to run AW just fine, have you tried the latest catalyst beta drivers?

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Alright so it's not related to temps...Have you tried rolling back drivers?  Is your CPU overclocked?  You state OC on your GPU, is that factory OC or manual OC?

CPU running at stock speeds, GPU is factory overclocked.

Your pc should be able to run AW just fine, have you tried the latest catalyst beta drivers?

Nope, but the free weekend is over, and I have uninstalled the game by now. Do you know where I could find the drivers so that I could try them on Bioshock Infinite, the game which has crashed the most?

Could be PSU related. 500W is cutting it short. (more like 408W on the 12V according to the specs)

When a PC use more power than is available, it reboots itself so it's easy to mistake it for temperatures. (can sometimes shut itself too)

AMD CPU aren't known for their low power usage, couple that with a high end OC'ed graphic card, and you've got a recipe for a disaster.

Considering you only have 408W MAX, that doesn't leave you much room for the components on LOAD, especially if you overclocked the CPU as well. Then there's PSU degradation over time, but 2 months or so shouldn't have had much of an effect on that side...

I don't suppose you have a kill-a-watt / energy meter on hand to determine how much power is consumed before the PC reset itself? Those things are extremely useful when dealing with PC problems.

Don't believe I do, sorry.

Nope, but the free weekend is over, and I have uninstalled the game by now. Do you know where I could find the drivers so that I could try them on Bioshock Infinite, the game which has crashed the most?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64 scroll down for the beta driver.

I've played quite a bit of AW on my computer with worse specs getting 60fps on native resolution (1920x1080) and everything on low. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T