[Build Complete] - Little Mac - World's Smallest 4.2L Gaming HTPC Steam Machine?

Runamok81

This is my first post to the TechTips forums.  I mostly troll around on [H] and Overclock.net.  But why not share the love?  So, here's what I've been cooking for the past few months... Whaddya think?  Is it techtip worthy?

Little Mac

The world's smallest gaming HTPC?

d5ca10c1_Little_MAC2.jpeg

Weighing in at 4.2L with an Intel i5 CPU and an nVIdia GTX 970 GPU,

Little Mac want to be the HTPC Gaming FPS / Liter champion!

900x900px-LL-5485c0e3_WP_20150129_22_04_

16c23a7f_lovzbMd.jpeg

2015.png

About Me
I am a Software Developer / Analyst. This is my second build log.  The first was the 2013 Torch GP, a twin (CPU/GPU) AIO watercooled gaming HTPC.

Why this case?
Bragging rights mostly,  Could we go this small?  But, on a more practical note, I had recently moved and upgraded from a DLP TV to a flat panel.   I switched out my first build and upgraded to an Intel NUC and a soundbar.  In the process, I ditched the entertainment center and mounted everything behind the HDTV.  I loved the look. Very clean.  No wires.  But the NUC wasn't strong enough for gaming. A new build was needed. One that could fit behind the TV, without compromises..

I had three goals.
Small enough to fit behind a wall-mounted television (sub 100m height for me), 
Quiet enough for general HTPC use
Powerful enough for gaming.  

In November 2014, two things happened in the market that allowed this build to take off. First, Gigabyte released the world's first stubby GTX 970 card.  It fit into a mITX motherboard,  the GV-N970IXOC-4GD.  Second, Logic Supply released the MC600 and I stumbled upon this Reddit PC build thread using a it.  I contacted the thread's author - who is also one of the engineers/designers of the case - and he turned out to be an all-around classy dude.   I told him I was inspired, and he offered up one of Logic Supply's MC600 to be part of this build and I was determined to make it work. But industrial PC chassis' aren't meant to cool the consumer parts used in gaming PCs.   

Case design and modifications
In order to fit everything inside, an unconventional layout is being used. It involves laying the GPU down next to the motherboard and using a flexible PCIe riser ribbon in order to connect the two. This is sometimes referred to as a Steam Machine layout, because of Valve's popularization of the design with it's prototype Steam Machines.  Another trick used to reduce the footprint, is electing to use a DC power board instead of a traditional ATX Power Supply.  This allowed most of the PSU to live in an external power brick similar to a laptop or Xbox One. (Props to Sony for not needing this!) The last hurdle was thermals. The stock airflow pattern of the Logic Supply MC600 was not engineered with the intention of dissipating 150 Watts worth enthusiast grade GPU heat. To fix this, I sketched out a crude CAD drawing and took it to a local CNC place.  I had them cut two 120mm holes into the top panel.  One above CPU and another above the GPU.  Two fans were mounted there and blow cool air onto the components.  Since the GPU side generates twice the heat, it gets two assistance of two additional 60mm exhaust fans.  

Parts List
Case - Logic Supply MC600
Mobo - Asus H97I Plus
CPU - Intel i5 4690K
GPU - Gigabyte Mini-ITX GTX 970
PSU - HDPLEX 250W + Voodoo Firebird 350w Power brick
RAM - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Very Low Profile DDR3
SSD - Transcend MTS800 256GB

CPU Cooling - Noctua L9i Heatsink (with 120mm Cougar Vortex) 
GPU Cooling -  Stock Gigabyte heatsink + 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12C 
Case Exhuast  - 2x 60mm Evercool

Additional Items:  LiHeat 250mm PCIe Gen 3.0 Shielded riser.  Silverstone mesh grill covers.

Related threads
Original [H]ardForum discussion - Link
Overclock.net [build Log] - Link
Reddit buildapc [build Complete] - Link

I cringed a little bit when you replaced that fan on CPU heatsink...

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I cringed a little bit when you replaced that fan on a heatsink...

If it makes you feel and better, I had the noctua A9x14 nestled down in there for a little bit.  It "felt" right and looked much nicer. But it was still too loud at full open throttle.

Give us temps!

here are GPU temps with various fans.  I went with the Yate Loons.  Stock gigabyte fans were about 72°

fd30fbbd_Capture.PNG

here are GPU temps with various fans.  I went with the Yate Loons.  Stock gigabyte fans were about 73°

I'm suprised it did throttle like gigabytes brix!

thats freaking amazing. I want a small pc, and couldnt imagine one that small. I want a pc so small I Could just throw it in my backpack.

I swear my 2 gpus alone right now probably take up more volume then that thing

This is very well done. I really like that soundbar.

Me too.  Got lots of love for that product.  I hope that Phillips or some other manufacturers can take that concept further.  

awesome build . love the name ,hits close to home with my build theme  ;)

I thought my 4 liter build was killer ,time for a 970 ,just kidding cant fit that in a Nintendo yet....

edit-what vizio tv is that? I just got a new vizio 60" and the response time is pretty great for a tv 

awesome build . love the name ,hits close to home with my build theme  ;)

I thought my 4 liter build was killer ,time for a 970 ,just kidding cant fit that in a Nintendo yet....

edit-what vizio tv is that? I just got a new vizio 60" and the response time is pretty great for a tv 

TV is a Vizio E550-iB2

TV is a Vizio E550-iB2

nice I got the e660i-b3 ,pretty much for the 4ms response time and the price was great.

hope your enjoying you build!

can not wait to be done my,feels like its been going on forever.

nice I got the e660i-b3 ,pretty much for the 4ms response time and the price was great.

hope your enjoying you build!

can not wait to be done my,feels like its been going on forever.

Sweet.  I just read through your build. Awesome craftmanship at work there.  You've got some awesome pics buried in the thread.  For us newbs to your build, it'd be sweet if some of those were at the top so we could immediately get a feel for what is happening further down the thread. Also, looks like the CPU and PSU got upgraded put that up there too!  Good luck over there... that's going to be a rewarding build.  I would definately suggest loading up some emulators.. or maybe throwing Hyperspin on there. Also, do you have a pic of your build with PC NES gamepads attached? A must. 

Sweet.  I just read through your build. Awesome craftmanship at work there.  You've got some awesome pics buried in the thread.  For us newbs to your build, it'd be sweet if some of those were at the top so we could immediately get a feel for what is happening further down the thread. Also, looks like the CPU and PSU got upgraded put that up there too!  Good luck over there... that's going to be a rewarding build.  I would definately suggest loading up some emulators.. or maybe throwing Hyperspin on there. Also, do you have a pic of your build with PC NES gamepads attached? A must. 

Thanks.

I am going to take your suggestions and update the front page of my thread.

Also, I have a full hyperspin file with every system up to ps1 with full themes and videos , 95GB!! (without games) downloaded this 2-3 years ago with a hope that one day I would have a htpc.

I am not going to comment on your last question,you will have to wait for the final pics!  ;)

Also, I have a full hyperspin file with every system up to ps1 with full themes and videos , 95GB!! (without games) downloaded this 2-3 years ago with a hope that one day I would have a htpc.

Sweet on the Hyperspin. Did you grab the HUGE DL from Underground Gamer (RIP) or configure it yourself?

Sweet on the Hyperspin. Did you grab the HUGE DL from Underground Gamer (RIP) or configure it yourself?

Yes underground gamer. miss that place  :(  I have that file backed up like 3 times,just in case.

That was the main reason I got a membership there.

Same here.  Same reason I signed up.  Got the same DL.   So, much for that Lifetime  membership, eh?