Hi guys.

Over the past couple of month's me and my fiancee have been looking to build a system that will suit our college and personal needs. We will be using the system for task's such as Web Design, Programming, Virtual Machines, Photo editing and high-performance gaming. 

We have a budget of £1300 GBP ($2001 Dollars). We narrowed it down to two different builds one in the micro ATX form factor and one ATX.

Micro ATX:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cXKjgs

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£268.97 @ Ebuyer) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£84.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£107.96 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£54.98 @ Novatech) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£449.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£72.62 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1169.57

ATX Build: 
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/76B24D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£310.00 @ Novatech) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£74.72 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£187.43 @ More Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£184.71 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  (£279.98 @ Novatech) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£99.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1266.89

We are both unsure on which build to go with. We would like the build to last until skylake comes out, and when skylake comes out we don't want to have to upgrade the whole system again so if possible we want to try and keep the same motherboard and Ram for our future skylake build

-snip-

For the power that you will need, I'd go X99. Also, I'd recommend getting a 120 ot 250GB boot SSD. X99 will support Skylake-E and DDR4 ram is the future, so it's not going anywhere.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

@lee32uk What do you think about my proposed system's 

Skylake is on a different platform, so it won't work with Z97 boards.

If your software can make use of the extra cores then go with X99. If not then you can go with the i7 4790K as this cpu should be better for gaming due to the higher core speed. 

They are both good systems, I would change the to a phantecs buts that just because I don't like the 540. How much editing Vs gaming will you be doing? I don't think the cost over a 970 to 980 is wroth it Imo. If you are going productivity x99 is where it's at.

@lee32uk Would skylake worth upgrading too since we both finish Uni at the end of this year and probably won't need the core's after that. If we went down the z97 route would the i7 4790k be good for let's say the next 3 years with the GTX 980?

How much is your time worth because that's all you will get/save by going x99 now, after school let you work worry about how to run vms.

They are both good systems, I would change the to a phantecs buts that just because I don't like the 540. How much editing Vs gaming will you be doing? I don't think the cost over a 970 to 980 is wroth it Imo. If you are going productivity x99 is where it's at.

I won't be editing much just here and there. What phantects case would you recommend? Eventually, we will be going to SLI the 980's. 

How much is your time worth because that's all you will get/save by going x99 now, after school let you work worry about how to run vms.

We finish school at the end of the year so I will probably only benefit from x99 for till then.

@lee32uk Would skylake worth upgrading too since we both finish Uni at the end of this year and probably won't need the core's after that. If we went down the z97 route would the i7 4790k be good for let's say the next 3 years with the GTX 980?

I haven't seen the Skylake lineup for desktops (Not even sure if there are any specs yet ?) so I don't know how much of a performance increase you would get.

The Gigabyte Z97 Black edition motherboards have a free upgrade within 3 years, so if you decided you wanted to switch to a new platform then you only need a new cpu and Ram. (You pay for the new board, and then Gigabyte credit you back the money when they receive the old board from you)

http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_faq.html

The i7 4790K is a very good cpu and should easily last 3 years. It is harder to say for graphics cards as games get more and more demanding.

We finish school at the end of the year so I will probably only benefit from x99 for till then.

go z97 save the cash, 980 sli should last 3 years in theory. The case (enthoo pro or luke) I feel is better all around and just better value Linus did a video on it 540 too. Only go x99 if you need the core and pci lanes, you won't with 2 way sli.

I haven't seen the Skylake lineup for desktops (Not even sure if there are any specs yet ?) so I don't know how much of a performance increase you would get.

The Gigabyte Z97 Black edition motherboards have a free upgrade within 3 years, so if you decided you wanted to switch to a new platform then you only need a new cpu and Ram. (You pay for the new board, and then Gigabyte credit you back the money when they receive the old board from you)

http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_faq.html

The i7 4790K is a very good cpu and should easily last 3 years. It is harder to say for graphics cards as games get more and more demanding.

@lee32uk Do you get a z97 black edition Micro ATX board? and if I buy a black edition board and then decided that maybe 1 year later I want to upgrade to either X99 or skylake I would just upgrade to a board which supports the platforms and then Gigabyte will credit me the money back.

go z97 save the cash, 980 sli should last 3 years in theory. The case (enthoo pro or luke) I feel is better all around and just better value Linus did a video on it 540 too. Only go x99 if you need the core and pci lanes, you won't with 2 way sli.

I might change the case to the Fractal Design R5 or the NZXT H440.

@lee32uk Do you get a z97 black edition Micro ATX board? and if I buy a black edition board and then decided that maybe 1 year later I want to upgrade to either X99 or skylake I would just upgrade to a board which supports the platforms and then Gigabyte will credit me the money back.

The Black Edition boards are all ATX size. An ATX build gives you a bit more room for expansion as well. Things can get cramped in matx cases. I would just go with the Air 540 case.

@lee32uk Could you put together a build including a black edition motherboard in the air 540 if I am not asking too much from you mate?

I went with the GTX 970 as both your builds had Nvidia cards. You can chuck a 2nd GTX 970 in later on if you need more gpu power.

The BeQuiet is a bit fiddly to install but it is a great cooler. I have the BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 in my pc. It also suits the build better than the Noctua (No Beige fans)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£260.34 @ Aria PC) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£136.99 @ Novatech) 

Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£95.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£79.48 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£275.94 @ Aria PC) 

Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£99.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1126.41

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 19:23 GMT+0000

@lee32uk If I wanted to I could swap the 970 for the 980 couldn't I?

Yes if you want to. If you are gaming at 1080p or even 1440p the 970 is a strong card. The Vram issue on the 970 might come into play at 1440p/4K on some games.

Assuming you don't need a copy of Windows and a dvd drive then you could fit one in.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£260.34 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£136.99 @ Novatech) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£95.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£79.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£449.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £1300.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 19:40 GMT+0000

Assuming you don't need a copy of Windows and a dvd drive then you could fit one in.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£260.34 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£136.99 @ Novatech) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£95.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£79.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£449.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £1300.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 19:40 GMT+0000

Yes I do not need the OS. I think at first I will go with 8gb 1866 G skill ripjawz RAM and then add a further 8gb at a later date. What model of the 980 would you recommend?

Yes I do not need the OS. I think at first I will go with 8gb 1866 G skill ripjawz RAM and then add a further 8gb at a later date. What model of the 980 would you recommend?

I like Gigabyte Myself as they have really good UK based warranty support. Asus Strix and MSI Gaming are also good cards but I think the warranty support for those is based in Europe.

The Kingston Ram I specced is good, and the 8GB Kit is cheap. Also it is low profile so it will fit under the cooler. The G.Skill is slightly taller.

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £50.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 20:09 GMT+0000

I like Gigabyte Myself as they have really good UK based warranty support. Asus Strix and MSI Gaming are also good cards but I think the warranty support for those is based in Europe.

The Kingston Ram I specced is good, and the 8GB Kit is cheap. Also it is low profile so it will fit under the cooler. The G.Skill is slightly taller.

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £50.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 20:09 GMT+0000

I will go with the build you suggested and change the ram to the savage 8gb and also have changed the cooler to Noctua d15

I will go with the build you suggested and change the ram to the savage 8gb and also have changed the cooler to Noctua d15

Beige Noctua fans  :( If you don't mind the colour clash then the D15 is an excellent cooler as well.

Beige Noctua fans  :( If you don't mind the colour clash then the D15 is an excellent cooler as well.

I watched Linus video on the be quiet rock 3, and luke said he had difficulty installing the cooler and needed help. I personally don't want to have that bother.