WD Giveaway failed..

So sad because the rest of their coverage did VERY well, Noctua and Ducky had over 40k views, I think Asus had over 60k.

Average views for the WD videos: 19,627.1666667 as of the time posting this.  Didn't even hit the 25k mark, disappointed in everyone.  I spammed replay on all 6 videos all day for 7 days now.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

So sad because the rest of their coverage did VERY well, Noctua and Ducky had over 40k views, I think Asus had over 60k.

Average views for the WD videos: 19,627.1666667 as of the time posting this.  Didn't even hit the 25k mark, disappointed in everyone.  I spammed replay on all 6 videos all day for 7 days now.

I watched all the WD videos 3 times,but I think the issue was that the WD coverage wasn't interesting.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

They should have done it for ALL of the videos, not just WD specific videos.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

I watched all the WD videos 3 times,but I think the issue was that the WD coverage wasn't interesting.

That's probably it.

Yeah, it makes sense that the Noctua and Ducky videos were more popular, as more people were interested in their new products.

the contest was sponsored by WD, they don't care that Asus got 60k views if they aren't getting any

the contest was sponsored by WD, they don't care that Asus got 60k views if they aren't getting any

But every single video said, "Sponsored by Western Digital".  Their name is in EVERY video.

but why would WD give away their products for you watching their potential competitors content?

or even if not their competitors,content that would not promote them.

But every single video said, "Sponsored by Western Digital".  Their name is in EVERY video.

yeah,that was in return for sponsoring Linus to go to Computex.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

It's kinda difficult to be excited about and follow a company that mainly makes HDDs; a dying standard for storage.

HDD's aren't a dying standard.

and until you can purchase at least a ~500GB SSD for under $100,they won't be a dying standard.

Linus Sebastian said:

It's kinda difficult to be excited about and follow a company that mainly makes HDDs; a dying standard for storage.

Still doesn't matter, they don't want to use their own money to reward people for not paying attention to them. the WD logo was compulsory and what, at least in part, paid for LMG to go to computex, their individual videos were for the contest

Physical hard drives will never die. They are still the best option for mass storage. SSDs are getting bigger, but so are HDDs

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion too. Also, there haven't been many massive increases in hard drive technologies. So, other companies that brought out new and exciting products got more views. 

HDD's aren't a dying standard.

and until you can purchase at least a ~500GB SSD for under $100,they won't be a dying standard.

they won't be then, because by that time you'l be able to buy a 4 TB drive for $100. 

Physical hard drives will never die. They are still the best option for mass storage. SSDs are getting bigger, but so are HDDs

Time will tell.

And yes, HDDs are still the best option for mass storage but I'm not necessarily talking about how relevant they are now but rather as time passes.

SSDs are growing, yes. But HDDs? Not necessarily. HDDs are still limited to 1TB per platter. HDDs may be growing but they're kinda cheating to get to those high numbers.

maybe if the hdd price were set at pre-flood price,then people would get really excited.. ;)

ajoy39, on 30 Jun 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

they won't be then, because by that time you'l be able to buy a 4 TB drive for $100.

most people don't need 4TB of storage.

sure the HDD still won't be dead,but if you can buy a ~500GB Samsung 840 pro for $89.99 it'll likely steal a large portion of the HDD customer base

Linus Sebastian said:

most people don't need 4TB of storage.

sure the HDD still won't be dead,but if you can buy a ~500GB Samsung 840 pro for $89.99 it'll likely steal a large portion of the HDD customer base

not now, no, but with 4K coming they are going to need bigger and bigger drives. As storage sizes increase so too do file sizes

Guys, Youtube and Google aren't dumb.

Every view is validated. Having it on repeat for hours on end won't do anything because none of the views after the first one will count for an extended period of time (if ever).

It's sad, but oh well. Tis life.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

not now, no, but with 4K coming they are going to need bigger and bigger drives. As storage sizes increase so too do file sizes

well there's also better codecs being released soon as well.

and I doubt people will have access to a large amount of 4K content until at least 2016

Linus Sebastian said:

for those who spammed replay or F5 youtube doesn't count views like that anymore... you kinda wasted your time

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It actually might be worse by spamming a video on repeat.  Over 301 view google uses a different way to determine view counts.  This means if they deem a video to get too many spam views, they might ignore your original view and others with similar view habits.  Not saying that is what is happening, given youtube doesn't go into detail what happens over 301, but they do run statistical analysis on them.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Unfortunately I think it has nothing to do with whether the video for WD was good or not, I thought it was awesome. Most of the content from the WD booth was really only of interest to server admins and backup/storage gurus in larger companies who generally already know what they need and were to get it. For the average gamer/home enthusiast hard disc based hard drives are not that important, we use solid state for the os and a cheapy for basic storage. 

I also wouldn't write HDD's off yet, solid state is a VERY long way off being a cheap and reliable medium for redundant and/or large storage solutions.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The WD stuff was promotional and you could tell. That was the problem. Obviously it had to be promotional, but there was clearly nothing to talk about and so you knew it was promotional. With all due respect, it was boring and pointless. I didn't overly enjoy it and obviously not many others did.

I'm not surprised. I watched the WD videos but I had no real interest in them when compared to other booths. I have harddrives for storage, do I care about their aesthetics? No. Do I care about form factor? Not really cause I have drive bays that are made for a certain size anyways. Do I care about capacity? Yes but not until I fill up my current drives. Ultimately I didn't really care about the WD coverage when there were other booths there that I was much more interested in.

The WD stuff was promotional and you could tell. That was the problem. Obviously it had to be promotional, but there was clearly nothing to talk about and so you knew it was promotional. With all due respect, it was boring and pointless. I didn't overly enjoy it and obviously not many others did.

Hmmm, until just recently I knew nothing about mass storage solutions and much less about raid, So consequently I was very interested and the videos were very helpful. But I guess I am probably the minority on this one. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.