Subwoofer cable question

NosRokanaske

Im planning on picking up the Yamaha YST-SW012 and i noticed that on the sub it uses a mono RCA cable. DO plug it into the center/sub port on my computer, do i just need a RCA to 3.5 mono adapter or do is it not possible?

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

For a subwoofer like that, You will be better off picking up an amplifier. Most 3.5mm audio jacks put out a small amount of power, And can have a risk of burning out the inputs on an amplifier, but an amplifier (a good one that is) has input protection. Being a yamaha it MAY have input protection, But unless you find evidence of it having input protection I wouldnt take the risk. I would get an amplifier and you will get better inputs and have a huge amount of expansion (just look at mine, A 7.3 surround sound system)

Chair 

For a subwoofer like that, You will be better off picking up an amplifier. Most 3.5mm audio jacks put out a small amount of power, And can have a risk of burning out the inputs on an amplifier, but an amplifier (a good one that is) has input protection. Being a yamaha it MAY have input protection, But unless you find evidence of it having input protection I wouldnt take the risk. I would get an amplifier and you will get better inputs and have a huge amount of expansion (just look at mine, A 7.3 surround sound system)

Chair 

I was able to pick up the PSW10, how would i hook that up instead? 

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

That would be pretty much the same thing, If you have evidence it has input protection, You will be fine. But yet again I would still recommend that you get an amplifier for so you dont risk burning out the inputs. Just because the sub has rca (red and white inputs) doesnt mean you plug both the Rca plugs in, Only one is utilized. If you do end up going down the road of picking up a home theater amp, You will still have to find out if it has input protection (in most cases it will). Up untill recently I was running a cd player as the 3.5mm jack input and pluging that into the amp for the risk I may damage the amp, But now I have a sound card so I do not require it anymore as well as a better amp. I hope this helps.

Chair