Is the Intel stock cooler good?

BulkyZaNka

I'll be getting a i7-4790K soon and I was wondering will the stock cooler be able to keep temps low? The PC is going to be under heavy load for 3-5 hours on average a day. I play games alot. I will be getting some kind of WC or a good noctua CPU cooler in around like 6 months but until then will it survive?

Thanks )

No.

It will survive, but I would get an aftermarket cooler ASAP.

BTW, have you ordered the 4790k already?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It will do the job on stock clocks no problem, but if you want to over clock I would highly suggest an after market cooler.

I've heard a lot about the cooler not being very good for the 4790K, but you could tweak voltages and clockspeeds to offset it.

Right now, the Zalman CNPS14X is on sale for $29.99 and $9.99 $20 MIR if you're in the US. It will keep the chip at reasonably low temps so long as you have the space for it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118133

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

No.

It will survive, but I would get an aftermarket cooler ASAP.

BTW, have you ordered the 4790k already?

I was going to order it this weekend, but thanks for the fast answer guys! :)

For my i3-4150 i get ~35-45 Degrees when idle and about 75 when on load.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I've heard a lot about the cooler not being very good for the 4790K, but you could tweak voltages and clockspeeds to offset it.

Right now, the Zalman CNPS14X is on sale for $29.99 and $9.99 $20 MIR if you're in the US. It will keep the chip at reasonably low temps so long as you have the space for it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118133

I live in Ireland... :/ I would try to look for an after market cooler.

Obviously they wouldn't include it with the cpu if it wouldn't work, but it isn't great by any stretch. So, you should still go buy a new heatsink when you get the i7. Something like a 212 Evo will do fine for some mild overclocking, but if you wanna really crank the dial on the i7 you would want to get something more beefy like from noctua, be quiet, or something like an H100i

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I was going to order it this weekend, but thanks for the fast answer guys! :)

What will you use it for?

The stock cooler is like barely, barely, barely acceptable.  It takes the i7-4790k right to the safe limit at stock speeds and volts.  85C and below is considered safe for 24/7, and you are right at that thresh hold with the stock intel cooler.  Some people report above 85C on stock cooler with the i7.

As a minimum, invest in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  If you want something that is upper echelon, the Noctua NH-D14/15 is the best air tower cooler, and there are a myriad of options for watercooling or all in ones.  I am privy to the Cooler Master Nepton 240M.  It is relatively inexpensive, very modern, and delivers Noctua level silence and performance but in the form on an AIO.  The pump is near silent, and the included fans are incredibly high quality.  No need to replace them like with other AIOs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

For that cpu no.

You will get really bad temps from what i have seen online.

The turbo will kill the temps.

For a locked i3 , i5 and even some i7 its fine.

You said it can run some i7...

Is it enough to handle the i7-2600K Sandy Bridge? I had that CPU running the stock cooler for a 3 years. My temps were REALLY high on both CPU and GPU. Now my PC is at a very bas state. I didn't oc at all. I was wondering could it be that stock cooler?

What will you use it for?

Gaming, much gaming. I am planning on ocing when I get water cooling. :)

Gaming, much gaming. I am planning on ocing when I get water cooling. :)

Then get the 4690k and a aftermarket cooler.

What about the other parts?

For my i3-4150 i get ~35-45 Degrees when idle and about 75 when on load.

While that is fine for a stock fan, it is not really comparable to an (unlocked) I7.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

While that is fine for a stock fan, it is not really comparable to an (unlocked) I7.

I know, just gives him an indication of what a much more powerful CPU might run like.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

man even with a H100i it will still get upto about 70c at worst and that watercooling so a stock cooler stands no chance 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

It's not good and it won't keep your temps low, it is however fine to use. Expect to reach low-mid 80C when gaming, while that's quite high it's still not in the dangerzone.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T