PCI-E Lanes in X99 with 5820K

Hello people...

I need some assistance and would like to shed some light into my doubts... Please note that I might be completely confused with this, which is why I am posting here.

I am planning a new build and ran into the Samsung XP941 PCIe SSD which needless to say is awesome, BUT it needs 4 PCI-E lanes. Which is when I started looking into the details behind these specs and found that the Z97 chipset with the i7-4790k will be limited to 16 and if I run a single 16x GPU it will take them all and even if I go with dual GTX 970 in SLI mode, I will take all 16 lanes for it 8x/8x (Am I correct on this?).

So, I am thinking about going with an X99 chipset and the i7-5820k which will give me 24 lanes (8 more), this will allow me to have my SLI using the 16 lanes and the Samsung XP941 using 4 more lanes and even have 4 more lanes to spare.

Can someone tell me if I am wrong with my logic here? What would happen if you use one of these SSDs with an Z97 chipset and then try SLI?

Thank you!

Hello people...

I need some assistance and would like to shed some light into my doubts... Please note that I might be completely confused with this, which is why I am posting here.

I am planning a new build and ran into the Samsung XP941 PCIe SSD which needless to say is awesome, BUT it needs 4 PCI-E lanes. Which is when I started looking into the details behind these specs and found that the Z97 chipset with the i7-4790k will be limited to 16 and if I run a single 16x GPU it will take them all and even if I go with dual GTX 970 in SLI mode, I will take all 16 lanes for it 8x/8x (Am I correct on this?).

So, I am thinking about going with an X99 chipset and the i7-5820k which will give me 24 lanes (8 more), this will allow me to have my SLI using the 16 lanes and the Samsung XP941 using 4 more lanes and even have 4 more lanes to spare.

Can someone tell me if I am wrong with my logic here? What would happen if you use one of these SSDs with an Z97 chipset and then try SLI?

Thank you!

The 5820K has 28 lanes and both the 5930K and 5960X have 40 lanes. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Hello people...

Thank you!

28 PCIe Lanes (http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz)

You'd be fine.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

There's 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes sitting about on the Z97 chipset. Plus the 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes that will be consumed by the GPU. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

There's 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes sitting about on the Z97 chipset. Plus the 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes that will be consumed by the GPU. 

This means that there are the 16 lanes coming from the CPU and another 8 lanes (2.0) from the chipset? 24 total?

This means that there are the 16 lanes coming from the CPU and another 8 lanes (2.0) from the chipset? 24 total?

Yes. Although you might want to look into it further. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

M.2 shares the PCIe lanes provided by the X99 PCH. Depending on which board your looking at, when a M.2 is used, then either a SATA Express or USB 3 controller ports will be disabled.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list